Aug 16, 2015, 04:26 AM
Thread OP
Question

rotomax 50cc/YEP 180amp ESC combo

My ESC started beeping after four flights: short short pause repeated. Reprogrammed, added recharged batteries. Still beeps. Anyone had experience of this and what it means and the solution?
(Running 12s, 24x12 Mejlick prop).
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2015, 09:03 PM
Hobby King should have a download or file where you can find out what the beeps mean. It could signify almost anything, from an overvoltage/ overamp , to a lost synchro or such.
Your running an a very large prop on that motor, you need to carefully check all connections.
On my 12S system I use nothing smaller than 6mm HXT connectors, and I make doubly sure the solder joints are completely filled with good quality solder made for electronics. Have you checked out the loads with a wattmeter? Its essential to know where you are there!
Best advice I can give for now. Doug B
Aug 19, 2015, 06:05 AM
Here are the beep codes:

1 Beeps/flashes: Incorrect throttle curve for Gov.-Store
Mode
2 Beeps/flashes: Under-voltage identification
3 Beeps/flashes: Temperature rise warning
5 Beeps/flashes: Receiver signals failed
6 Beeps/flashes: start up failed
Aug 19, 2015, 08:24 AM
Since most Esc identify 3V per cell as LV, that means that your batteries where pulled down to 36 volts at some time during the flight.
Check your batteries voltage 2 minutes after a flight for standing voltage, if its less than 3.8volts per cell, you are drawing too much from those batteries. 3.8 represents 20% left in the battery - 80% used. You will need either more MAH, and likely a higher C rating to save your batteries from a short life. jmo fwiw Doug B
Aug 19, 2015, 04:45 PM
I don't think the YEP's default to 3v per cell lvc. I know whenever I set one up I always set lvc to the lowest value available. You need the card though. I just went and looked at the card. Lipo lvc settings are 2.9 to 3.4v. I do not know what default is
Aug 19, 2015, 07:34 PM
If you hit LVC even at 3.4 your pulling your batteries down too low IMO. I normally set my lvc at 3.2, but I've not near that in years, usually the battery will read 3.7 immediately after a flight and return to 3.8 or slightly better after 2-3 minutes of rest.
At recharge, I like to see I;m replacing 65-70% of the mah. They last far longer that way. fwiw Doug B
Aug 20, 2015, 05:00 PM
A lot depends on the quality of your batteries. I set it as low as possible because Murphy says that if it is going to go into LVC, it will do it at the worst time!
Aug 20, 2015, 07:06 PM
My point is you should be timing flights, initially short, maybe 5 minutes, then check the battery and recharge to see where your consumption is. If you have 5000mah, and you used 2500 in 5 minutes of flying the way you normally do, then you can take the flight time out to 7 1/2 minutes without stressing your batteries or getting near lvc. fwiw Doug B
Aug 22, 2015, 08:43 AM
My point is that if your batteries are not quite up to the task, they can sag under load and go into lvc prematurely. I would rather it not go into lvc at all. I crashed a foamy a few years ago just because of this. I tend to fly quite low, and the battery I was using was old. So I just started setting lvc to the lowest possible setting.
Last edited by GMPheli; Aug 22, 2015 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply