Jul 03, 2004, 06:31 PM
Thread OP

How to build a good looking pager motor plane!

To address a certain thread with a similar name I thought that this might now be an appropriate time to start a thread like this. We'll limit it to pager motor plane contruction ,hints and plans.Also let's add a twist.....Semi scale,profile or full it doesn't matter. Soooo...bring em' on guys!!

Greg
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2004, 04:21 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Greg,

To answer your question I would say : Just carefully read this forum !

May be we could put it in a slightly different way and only concentrate on "best" hints, "easiest" or "most effective" solutions, etc... ? Of course, all that depend on your own skills and might differ from one modeler to another.

Jean-Michel.
Jul 04, 2004, 05:26 AM
Find a nice plane that is to be made from paper ie: Fiddler's Green planes, cut it out as if you were going to make it from paper, but instead trace it onto 2mm wallfoam, paint on all the markings while it's still on the flat sheet, when done, cut the peices out and assemble the plane. et voila:

Tim.
Jul 04, 2004, 05:46 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Tim,

I like this method (I have to try it one day). You can print all the markings on a tissue paper and glue it on the foam. There are plenty of planes' descriptions made in a such way in this forum.

<<when done, cut the peices out and assemble the plane. et voila:>>

That is another story : You have to find proper balancing, proper motor and prop, proper gear, achieve a low wing loading and a good flight time. Then, trim the plane, et voila !

You have a nice model anyway. What is the weight of the airframe ?

Jean-Michel.
http://www.jmquetin.com
Last edited by jmquetin; Jul 04, 2004 at 05:48 AM.
Jul 04, 2004, 10:10 AM
Micro planes that look like planes are reserved for indoor heros and should not be attempted by normal folks !
Also the indoor 3D fuselage builders are tall and handsome, stylish, whitty ..........

3D planes have DRAG which takes a little more power. They are goign to ahve smaller rudders and finsss if they are to look scale'ish. You have to put all the control parts inside which creates trouble. Its godda have some paint on it
But when its all done and the dam thing finally flies its a great buzz, no need for cocane
http://www.aeronutz.flyer.co.uk
Jul 04, 2004, 02:09 PM
Maybe this is some food for thought ...

Why do some people prefer wall-foam and some other others balsa? What are the benefits of the one against the other, and what does that mean for a 'pager-motor-plane'?

I prefer balsa, because it still is light and seems to have some more strength compared to foam. Also, for me, it is more easy to work with .... I can easily make a frame, cover it with thin sheet balsa (1mm or less) and sand it to get a nice curvature ...

Short, what is the best 'building' material?

Johan
Jul 04, 2004, 02:44 PM
Tjena Johan

Look here to see why some of us use foam:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118362

Michael
Jul 04, 2004, 05:43 PM
www.jmquetin.com
<<Short, what is the best 'building' material?>>

I think the best material is the material you feel the most comfortable with to build a given model.

J.M.
Jul 04, 2004, 05:54 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Each material has it's strong and weak characteristics. The "best" material depends on the application. I use various kinds of foam and balsa, carbon fiber rods and tubes cloth and tape. I am just beginning to learn about the small stuff, but it is a very interesting aspect of modeling.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jul 04, 2004 at 05:56 PM.
Jul 04, 2004, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
I use a variety of materials. But for quickness of build i use foam.(durovent from homedepot) For lightness(that being a relative term) 1/16 balsa and reynolds wrap is hard ta beat! Of course there's always carbon fiber(rods and such). To echo...it all depends on what you are comfortable with.
PAGER MOTOR PLANE-A plane whose locomotion is achieved by the means of a pager motor.(Webster-Greg )

Greg

Quick Reply