Rotorpix OZ Adventures Traveling Hexacopters - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 15, 2015, 11:24 PM
Video

Rotorpix OZ Adventures Traveling Hexacopters

Hello, this thread is going to be all about our adventures as we start to travel out around this huge country flying our mini HEXI 350 Hexacopters.

We started flying in local parks (Cairns - Queensland - Australia) but soon out grew that once we realized how well they flew open country and practically in any wind condition.

These are custom machines we designed and built, they have no anti vibration system, nor at this time are we using any GPS, so failsafe is motors stop and fall out of the sky :-) The props and motors have not been balanced either. We fly in manual mode as anything else and your are just fighting the flight controller.

The machines are cut from a plastic polymer sheet with a CNC machine we built. The 12mm Carbon Fiber booms are held in place by alloy boom mounts and so are the motors. With alloy mounts and the 18 custom designed alloy standoffs, the frame is very strong.
Both FPV and Recording cameras sit nice and snug inside the frame for max protection.

They fly nice with 3S -3000 or 3700 lipo on the back, but for best results a 4S 4200 turns it into a very cool open county flying machine in practically any wind conditions.

To start it off here is the HEXI 350 flying in some crazy wind buzzing the Cane Planter.
Took off and was on the wrong video channel so had to ditch it, no damage.

We hope you enjoy our flight adventures as we post them here.

Cheers Wags & Gforce
Open Pilot REVO HEXI 350 FNQ Hexacopter Multirotor Australia Linkin Park - In The End (3 min 47 sec)

Open Pilot REVO FPV HEXI 350 Cane Planting Xiaomi Yi Hexacopter (5 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Flykam; Aug 29, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2015, 04:43 PM
So as we move along we found this location between Mareeba and Mount Molly in Queensland. This place is called Lake Mitchell, there was a stiff breeze blowing but that dos not bother the Hexacopters too much.
We are flying with no GPS and in manual mode so if you loose RX or VTX it's gone.
Multirotor Lake Mitchell Hexacopter HEXI 350 Open Pilot REVO Xiaomi Yi (4 min 5 sec)
Aug 16, 2015, 07:01 PM
This little video was shot one afternoon along the banks of the Barron River, Cairns. Was out enjoying a nice fly and spotted this little critter warming himself on the other side. I put my trust in my Hexi not to drop out and went over to say hello.
Hexi350 Croc Spotting in Cairns (2 min 51 sec)
Aug 17, 2015, 05:49 PM
Think we need to fly that crock spot again :-)

So here is what the old smelter looks like out west of Cairns- Queensland in a little town called Chillagoe. Lots of red dust out there.
The Hexacopter was covered in red dust after a few landings..
Open Pilot REVO Chillagoe Smelter Queensland FPV Hexacopter 350 (2 min 0 sec)
Aug 18, 2015, 08:06 PM

Kuranda from above

Wags and I were out in search of some new places to fly and dropped in to our friends place tucked away in the rainforest. Winds were up a bit but that doesn't worry our Hexis much. Too windy for my 250 so Hexi it is. Hope you enjoy the view.
Hexi350 flies Kuranda Farm (3 min 43 sec)

Wags n G_Force
Aug 18, 2015, 11:58 PM
Nice one G Force.... time for you to start doing some rolls soon me thinks :-)
Here is what it looked like from my HEXI,
Open Pilot REVO HEXI350 Hexacopter FPV Tropical Farm Xiaomi Yi (7 min 47 sec)
Aug 20, 2015, 05:06 PM
Here we are up at Kuranda in FNQ trying out some in car FPVing. Next time we will pick a smoother road as the bumps made it hard not to bump the sticks.
Inside Car FPV Open Pilot Hexi350 Hexacopter Kuranda Xiaomi Yi (4 min 1 sec)
Aug 21, 2015, 05:32 PM
This is a tiny town west of Mareeba, great place to carve up with lots of space.
Open Pilot REVO HEXI 350 Almaden Railway Run FPV (4 min 21 sec)
Aug 21, 2015, 09:03 PM

Little creek in Kuranda FNQ, Australia

Couldn't find a park to fly today, so headed up to a nice place in the hills west of Cairns. Love that mountain air....
Hexi350 flies Little Sands Kuranda (3 min 38 sec)
Aug 24, 2015, 01:15 AM
Think we need to hook up there together and fly.
This is an old open pit mine site I found just out from Chillagoe. west of Cairns, Australia.
It was huge but need to go back and fly low over the water once I get a GPS set up so at least I got a back up in case I loose VTX or RX.
Open Pilot REVO Chillagoe Mine Queensland FPV Hexacopter 350 (5 min 39 sec)
Aug 25, 2015, 07:15 AM
Okay, as we move along, this flight was at one of the local parks where I live.
Put a second camera on the back for an interesting effect.
Open Pilot REVO 4S 4200 Hexacopter Xiaomi Yi FrSky D4R-II (5 min 12 sec)
Aug 27, 2015, 12:50 AM
Hot and dusty out here but this one is flying around Chillagoe Caves west of Cairns- Australia.
Open Pilot REVO Multirotor HEXI 350 Flying Chillagoe Caves FPV (4 min 8 sec)
Aug 27, 2015, 09:02 PM
For our next flight we found an old township called Mungana west of Chillagoe Queensland.
Open Pilot REVO Old Mungana Township FPV Hexacopter HEXI 350 (4 min 34 sec)
Aug 28, 2015, 12:13 AM
Wow great flying Guys! Stunning locations too!
You certainly have come a long way since the Phantom at Davies Creek Flykam!!
Keep the vids coming!
Aug 29, 2015, 07:47 PM
Cheers, Davies Creek with a Phantom, must be someone else. Do you mean Crystals Cascades?
Will be flying of the Davis water fall soon though.
These machines are prefect size for the bike's top box.
Open Pilot REVO HEXI 350 FPV Motorbike Cairns Ski Park (5 min 6 sec)