Aug 13, 2015, 09:09 PM
Build Log

LS Optima II - Czech (Stain & Poly wings..)

LS Model Optima II -
http://translate.google.com/translat...html&sandbox=1

After a few faithful years of spine tingling flying, the covering began to peel and blister. Removed the shrink wrap to recover, but stained and poly'ed instead.

Used waterbased poly to allow for some wing flexing on high-Gs (oil based dries harder, but brittle). Two tone stain underside for visual orientation.

Not sure about weight though... Anyone have experience or heard of flight performance or other issues with Poly vs. Covering???

We'll see after maiden flight of Optima II 2.0...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2015, 08:51 PM
This is BAT country!
Looks amazing! Did it add a lot of weight?
Sep 22, 2015, 10:48 PM
unsure of exact amount... but i believe it did add some extra weight compared to plastic covering. i used water-based poly which was super thin and light compared with regular oil-based poly. i doubt the difference is significant..... sadly i haven't been back to fly yet. Next week is maiden
Sep 23, 2015, 11:19 AM
This is BAT country!
I have seen a few wings done like that. Looks incredible. Did you paint the fuse orange and or brown too? Gotta match! I am going to have to try it someday. Get some pics while you are out. Looks great..
Sep 25, 2015, 12:30 AM
THANKS MUCH! totally handsome looking... makes this toy seem more legit to the girlfriend for some reason! lol....
The fuse is molded plastic/carbon/fiberglass... nothing to peel and paint sadly. I don't want to prime and then paint on top. That would add a lot of unneeded weight for sure!
Haven't flown just yet but I'm guessing the wing will not flex like before, and a touch more weight will change flight characteristics.
Not by much i hope!

Quick Reply