Feb 07, 2018, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa
The 9xtreme board has the same processor as the taranis but with much more eeprom memory. 1024k against only 38k from the taranis
Yes, this is all true, but if You have for example an old transmitter (not a 9X clone), You cannot put 9xtreme inside to make it work with OpenTX or er9x because of the missing 9X board.
It's not standalone solution like ARUni or even Mega2560 or Core9x radios.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2018, 04:55 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Yes, it is not made for old transmitters, the same as the Ar9x, although the Ar9x would be easier to install. What you really need in this case is the ArUni board or similar. Unfortunately, if you want to DIY without having to design the board from scratch, your only option is the 9xtreme, as all the needed files have been released. And that is why I have mentioned it here, there is currently no other way

Joćo
Feb 07, 2018, 08:09 AM
Back after a few years no RC..
I was on the fence for this now discontinued board, but if you just want Er9x with (serial) multiprotocol support you can do without.
Happy for now, though I might spend 85 bucks on a Taranis Q X7 in the future for the extra 8-16 channels, voice alerts etc....

The Flysky TH9X made the last years (like mine) have the AtMega128 on board, older ones the AtMega64...
The stock AtMega128 board can be flashed to Er9x with (serial) multiprotocol support, works fine with the IRX4 module.
You will need to do some fine soldering, six wires from the board to a USBasp, that's all....
The module can be accessed in serial mode, protocolsettings saved in modelmemory, just like in Deviation or OpenTX..
My module is on the long boat from China, will have a nice multiprotocol TH9X in a week or so....

Older TH9X with AtMega64 can be flashed to Er9x without multiprotocol support in serial mode, though you can still use a IRX4+ module in PPM mode, then you will have to switch protocol manually with the knob and switch on the module.
You can find cheap backlight for the LCD on eBay, easy to install....

Er9x is a BIG upgrade from the stock firmware, like having a new transmitter...It's close to OpenTX which is based on Er9x....
Turnigy 9X models all have AtMega128 on board AFAIK...
Last edited by Piedro; Feb 07, 2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
Feb 08, 2018, 03:19 AM
Hi All,

I have the ER9X board in my radio. The telemetry wiring is wireles, the frsky djt is modded like in the first post.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=896

I would use Orange Open LRS modul in this radio. Can I do that or I have to make any mod in the Orange TX modul? As far as I know, the 1st pin is an RF pin in the TX modul...

Br. Zsolt
Last edited by palankaizs; Feb 08, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
Feb 10, 2018, 06:26 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedro
The stock AtMega128 board can be flashed to Er9x with (serial) multiprotocol support, works fine with the IRX4 module.
. . .
Older TH9X with AtMega64 can be flashed to Er9x without multiprotocol support in serial mode, though you can still use a IRX4+ module in PPM mode
No, the Mega64 version of er9x also supports serial to the Multiprotocol module, just the limited flash space means you have to select some protocols by number rather than by name.

Mike
Feb 10, 2018, 06:31 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by palankaizs
I have the ER9X board in my radio. The telemetry wiring is wireles, the frsky djt is modded like in the first post.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=896

I would use Orange Open LRS modul in this radio. Can I do that or I have to make any mod in the Orange TX modul? As far as I know, the 1st pin is an RF pin in the TX modul...
Do you mean AR9X board?
I think the Orange LRS module works, although I'm not sure if it needs a modification to route the telemetry to the bottom pin.
If you run ersky9x firmware, then the polarity of the telemetry doesn't matter as ersky9x includes a software driver to handle inverted serial data.

Mike
Feb 15, 2018, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
Do you mean AR9X board?
I think the Orange LRS module works, although I'm not sure if it needs a modification to route the telemetry to the bottom pin.
If you run ersky9x firmware, then the polarity of the telemetry doesn't matter as ersky9x includes a software driver to handle inverted serial data.

Mike
Yes, yes, I mean AR9x.
Now the telemetry wire from TX modul goes througt to radio on the bottom (RF) pin. This pin in the Orange TX modul also an RF pin, which goes to somewhere in the TX. This is the reason why I dont know that what do I link together if I take it to the radio.
Apr 03, 2018, 08:25 AM
Hi All,

Maybe this is not an AR9X board issue, but who knows:

I recognised that if I make a full range test (TG9X, AR9X board, fw: ER9X, FRSky DJT TX, Frsky RX) than the RX and TX value doesn't decrease to under 36%. Below that that is change to 0% and the connection breaks.

Turnigy 9x (Flysky FS-TH9X) RSSI issue (0 min 12 sec)

I have made this test with 3 different radio, RX, and TX in all of the combination.

How can I set alarm value under this 36% level?

Thanx for your help!
Apr 03, 2018, 12:01 PM
There is no problem with the equipment or with the firmware..
It is normal that the signal is lost when RSSI is low. If it goes to zero under 36, it means that the module and receiver are no longer able to keep a connection. Setting an alarm near that value means that your model might lose signal before you even hear the alarm.
Ersky9x's RSSI alarm defaults at 45 and I do not recommend changing that for Frsky equipment, or you will be asking for trouble

Joćo
Apr 03, 2018, 12:52 PM
Quote:
It is normal that the signal is lost when RSSI is low. If it goes to zero under 36, it means that the module and receiver are no longer able to keep a connection. Setting an alarm near that value means that your model might lose signal before you even hear the alarm.
Ersky9x's RSSI alarm defaults at 45 and I do not recommend changing that for Frsky equipment, or you will be asking for trouble

Joćo

Thanks for your comment. It is clear. That was not clear for me, why the zero signal isn't zero RSSI %. If you tell me that it is normal with FRSky and I can't calibrate it, than that is it. I can live with it.
Thanks again!
Apr 03, 2018, 03:09 PM
68 years an RC flyer

AR9x board for Turnigy9x & TH9x

There’s nothing mysterious about it. The telemetry connection, which is required to send the RSSI value back to the transmitter fails at a certain level of signal. At roughly the point where the receiver starts to lose the control signal, the telemetry receiver in the transmitter loses its link too. There’s simply no way to have telemetry show a lower value because at this point there is no telemetry. Soon after, control will be lost, if it hasn’t already.
There’s no point in trying to set a lower RSSI than recommended by FrSky.
The principles involved are not particular to FrSky.
Apr 03, 2018, 07:53 PM
Quote:

Joćo
I don't have any 3rd party boards in my turnigy 9x, but I have done the usbasp firmware flashing mod and the telemetry mod. Today, my radio started acting up whereby it would just go to the splash screen and restart when I am changing settings in the telemetry page of openTX. I did the telemetry mod yesterday. I don't know if it has anything to do with that. I remember you mentioning something like that in one of your videos. You even made a custom board to solve that issue.
Apr 03, 2018, 07:56 PM
Another thing is that I notice on the ar9x.net website that it is under maintenance. Does that mean the owner is keeping the website active because he intends to produce these board again?
Apr 04, 2018, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by musehcl74
I don't have any 3rd party boards in my turnigy 9x, but I have done the usbasp firmware flashing mod and the telemetry mod. Today, my radio started acting up whereby it would just go to the splash screen and restart when I am changing settings in the telemetry page of openTX. I did the telemetry mod yesterday. I don't know if it has anything to do with that. I remember you mentioning something like that in one of your videos. You even made a custom board to solve that issue.
This is not the place to solve this problem as the post count will probably be high and completely off topic. Could I suggest that you please create a new topic at openrcforums.com??

Thanks

Joćo
Apr 04, 2018, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by musehcl74
Another thing is that I notice on the ar9x.net website that it is under maintenance. Does that mean the owner is keeping the website active because he intends to produce these board again?
This is a nice thought, but I believe it is very unlikely to happen unfortunately..

Joćo

Quick Reply