Phoenix Pilatus PC-21 (1/6.25 Scale) - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Aug 12, 2015, 04:26 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Discussion

Phoenix Pilatus PC-21 (1/6.25 Scale)


Phoenix Models has a nice scale Pilatus PC-21 coming out and has posted the following information on their website...

Introducing

The PC-21 is a completely new aircraft design. The aircraft features two seating arrangement (student in-front/instructor behind). It based on the most recent version of the PC21, is an easy-to-assemble, easy -to-fly blast for any pilot interested in large-scale flight. Functioning scale flaps make takeoffs and landings a breeze. Factory-created scale detail like the canopy, control surfaces. Its authentic ORACOVER covering supplies a superior sheen. . Excellent parts fit, quality fiberglass parts, quality covering, complete hardware package. All are engineered and crafted to exacting standards and feature the finest components and materials.

Technical data

- Wingspan: 1450mm (57 in)
- Length: 1533mm (60.3 in)
- Flying weight: 4600-5000 g
- Wing area: 38.5 dm2
- Wing loading: 128g/dm2
- Wing type: Naca airfoils
- Covering type: Genuine ORACOVER®
- Gear type: Retract gear With CNC Suspension Metal Struts (included)
- Spinner size: scale type 70mm (included)
- Radio: 6 channel minimum (not included)
- Servo: 8 standard servo: 2 aileron; 2 flap; 1 elevator; 1 rudder; 1steering nose; 1 throttle; and 3 retract gear (Futaba S3170G) (not included)
- Recommended receiver battery: 4.8-6V / 2000 mAh NiMH (not included)
- Servo mount: 21mm x 42 mm
- Propeller: suit with your engine
- Engine: .61-.91 / 2-stroke glow engine or 15-20cc gas engine (not included)
- Motor: brushless outrunner 2200 W, 500 KV (not included)
- Gravity CG: 138 mm (5,4 in) Back from the leading edge of the wing, at the fuselage
- Control throw Ailerons: Low: 8mm up/down, 10% expo; High: 10mm up/down, 10% expo
- Control throw Elevators: Low: 9mm up/down, 12% expo; High: 11mm up/down, 12% expo
- Control throw Rudder: Low: 20mm right/left, 15% expo; High: 30mm right/left, 15% expo
- Control throw Flap: 15-20 mm down
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Plane type: Scale Military
RECOMMENDED MOTOR AND BATTERY SET UP
- Motor: RIMFIRE .80 (not included)
- Lipo cell: 6 cells / 4000 – 5500mAh (not included)
- Esc: 60-100A (not included)

Feature

- Designed for compatibility with both GP and EP flight
- Covered in genuine ORACOVER®
- Superb flying characteristics, plus an accurate scale outline
- Details scale cockpit
- Functional panel flaps
- Removable hatch for easy set up radio
- Scale outline is enhanced by the lightweight fiberglass cowl
- High-quality hardware package included

Colour chart

- White (# 21010)
- Ferrari Red (# 21023)

Packing

BOX DIMENSION
-1359mm X 470mm X 263mm (L x W x H)

More photos and information are available...

http://www.phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=615

Kman
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2015, 04:29 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Flight video...

PC21 PILATUS GP/EP SIZE .61-.91 or 15-20CC SCALE 1:6 ¼ ARF PH134 PHOENIXMODEL (2 min 58 sec)


Kman
Aug 16, 2015, 01:16 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
I inquired to Tower Hobbies this week to see if they had plans to carry this model and they said that it is not available yet. I am hoping that they pick it up soon, maybe towards the end of the year.

Kman
Aug 16, 2015, 04:31 AM
That will simply buff out
Boofhead's Avatar
Would hope to see a local seller here in Australia

Kman - did Tower state when it may be available in the US?
Aug 16, 2015, 09:15 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Boofhead - no they did not I just got notices via email flier that the have the Phoenix Stinson Reliant and MXS in stock now. Hopefully this plane will be available in the next few months.

I am also checking Phoenix Model's online USA store as it may become available there, as well...

http://zigirc.com/

Kman
Aug 16, 2015, 06:58 PM
dbc
dbc
Registered User
An 11+ lb plane with less than 600 sq/in of wing area. Looks like a wing loading of around 43 oz per sq/ft. Most of these Phoenix models are borderline too heavy - but that's way beyond what I find enjoyable to fly.
Aug 16, 2015, 08:47 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Hey there Dave, it's a jet trainer, what do you expect The wing loading is similar to a fighter plane or warbird. It's very similar to the Phoenix Spitfire MK2 that I have and that plane is very friendly to fly. Besides, does Phoenix Model really make any bad flying planes?

Kman
Aug 18, 2015, 03:39 PM
Rocket Scientist
Kman.. how do you like that Spitfire MK2? I have been seriously considering that as my next plane. It is a very affordable war bird. I already have an engine and a throttle servo, I could have one of these up in the air for less than $500
Aug 18, 2015, 04:07 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Air
Kman.. how do you like that Spitfire MK2? I have been seriously considering that as my next plane. It is a very affordable war bird. I already have an engine and a throttle servo, I could have one of these up in the air for less than $500
Its an great plane regardless of the price. I was able to get mine up in the air very affordably. And it looks great, too

Here is the thread, check it out...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2292233

Kman
Aug 19, 2015, 12:53 PM
dbc
dbc
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Hey there Dave, it's a jet trainer, what do you expect The wing loading is similar to a fighter plane or warbird. It's very similar to the Phoenix Spitfire MK2 that I have and that plane is very friendly to fly. Besides, does Phoenix Model really make any bad flying planes?

Kman
K: I'm sure the plane will fly OK. But consider this: it is essentially the same size and wing area as the Phoenix Tucano. A 6 lb plane vs an 11 lb plane. Almost twice the weight!

I currently have several models with similar wing loading and find that they are the least flown of all my planes. The requirement for speed and the limitations of line-of-sight flying results in near constant turning. The pilot concentration level is much higher and the time to enjoy the looks of the plane on a flyby is minimized.

Maybe I'm getting lazy as I get older, but slower scale-like speeds and gentler flight characteristics are appealing to me more and more. Others will probably feel differently.
Aug 19, 2015, 01:03 PM
Rocket Scientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Its an great plane regardless of the price. I was able to get mine up in the air very affordably. And it looks great, too

Here is the thread, check it out...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2292233

Kman
Subscribed. I spent a couple of hours reading the thread. I did not know you could spray paint over coverings.. the guy that painted his did a good job on it. That is my next plane for sure.
Aug 19, 2015, 01:51 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
K: I'm sure the plane will fly OK. But consider this: it is essentially the same size and wing area as the Phoenix Tucano. A 6 lb plane vs an 11 lb plane. Almost twice the weight!

I currently have several models with similar wing loading and find that they are the least flown of all my planes. The requirement for speed and the limitations of line-of-sight flying results in near constant turning. The pilot concentration level is much higher and the time to enjoy the looks of the plane on a flyby is minimized.

Maybe I'm getting lazy as I get older, but slower scale-like speeds and gentler flight characteristics are appealing to me more and more. Others will probably feel differently.
I hear you my friend I can understand your concerns. If it weren't for me getting a smaller version of this plane recently and discovering its flight characteristics, I would probably have passed on it to. But, there is just something about it that is appealing to me. Right now I am looking at this one and the ECOM RC version, which is a bit smaller (and lighter). Both are unavailable as of right now, so we'll see how it pans out.

Kman
Last edited by kman24; Aug 19, 2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added notes
Aug 19, 2015, 02:28 PM
dbc
dbc
Registered User
I don't wanted to seem like I am dissing this model, that's not the case. It is a beautiful plane and I will be following this thread on it. But I know it will not have the sort of flight characteristics that I prefer.
Aug 19, 2015, 02:52 PM
Augermeister
dahawk47's Avatar
Gorgeous plane . Finally Phoenix adds flaps to a model ! I have the Tucano and it's built rock solid. I also saw where Phoenix will soon add the Texan II. Looks nice. No flaps though. Plus, mechanical retracts- Ugh.

I do like their overall quality and bang for the buck. Kind of old school with all the sheeting they use. Nice detail on cockpits / canopy's, CNC machined LG.

Hawk
Aug 19, 2015, 03:21 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
kman24's Avatar
Hello TX Dave Tower Hobby is supposed to get the Texan II next month according to their website...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKYA&P=ML

Don't let the mechanical retracts deter you because they are easily swapped out for modern electric ones if you prefer. You more or less just need to transfer the included oleo legs to them But, why didn't they put flaps on that one Maybe just because it is a smaller scale (like the Tucano).

Kman


Thread Tools