Aug 11, 2015, 07:19 PM
"Hello, engine..."
Discussion

Pat's 1:16 Elco 77' PT

After doing that smallish 1:24 display model of a late Elco 77 PT, I'm now jumping into an R/C version in 1:16, using the same basic plans scaled to suit, with a wood framed hull covered in dual diagonal planking, and a lot of 3D printed content above. Model will be 58" long with a 15" beam, and should weigh about 22 pounds.

While I rail against the perceived "necessity" of waterproofing model boat interiors and usually leave my models bare inside, I do appreciate a nicely finished interior when it's appropriate... and I decided it's appropriate here.

Just painting wood leaves it looking rough, so I want to lay down an epoxy coat first, followed by sanding, followed by a nice coat of white paint (just like the real Elcos). But sanding a finished model boat interior is nearly impossible... so I'm doing it BEFORE assembly. I'll coat all the interior parts (including the planking) with epoxy, sand them, then assemble them... and only spray the interior later with paint.

I tried this once with lacquer... not a good idea, glue doesn't adhere to lacquer! But epoxy will work just fine with CA and epoxy glue.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2015, 07:22 PM
Looks like a CNC cut kit. Very nice. Who made it?
Aug 11, 2015, 07:26 PM
"Hello, engine..."
Thanks! Me and my trusty 9" bandsaw.

But see the link, there is CAD behind it... but there was also a line at my usual laser cutter, so I made saw dust instead.
Aug 11, 2015, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Thanks! Me and my trusty 9" bandsaw.

But see the link, there is CAD behind it... but there was also a line at my usual laser cutter, so I made saw dust instead.
Nice job! You could've fooled me!
Aug 12, 2015, 02:26 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Nice! Am following this one.
Aug 12, 2015, 10:34 AM
boat butcher
This is going to be great .

Mark
Aug 12, 2015, 01:14 PM
Submarine or Target?
Oh, Yes! This goes in my watch list.

Aug 12, 2015, 01:16 PM
Submarine or Target?
Looks like one of those wooden dinosaur skeleton kits you get at museum gift shops.
Aug 12, 2015, 07:55 PM
"Hello, engine..."
OK, a little more order to things here. The resin is still curing on the keel...
Aug 13, 2015, 07:53 PM
"Hello, engine..."
Finally, grew a spine!

Ready for stringers and planking... which is a lot of wood, still in a carton stuck somewhere between Champaign IL and here for the last couple days...
Aug 14, 2015, 01:36 PM
Yes Sir!

I have no doubt, This will be a Beauty...

-gus
Latest blog entry: Excuses Excuses...
Aug 16, 2015, 07:37 PM
"Hello, engine..."
Stringers on (3/16" square), and started on the first course of planking.

The planking sheets were all epoxied one side, sanded, and ripped into 3/4" planks... 12 sheets to do the first course, 12 more for the second, and a bunch more on deck later.
Aug 16, 2015, 08:05 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=8157487

Patmat,
What is the jig in the picture? Is it a plank stripper?
possible to get a closer look?
thx,
danny
Aug 16, 2015, 08:12 PM
Semper Fi
It looks more like a chopper to cut the angles on the planks since each one is cut differently.
Aug 16, 2015, 08:26 PM
"Hello, engine..."
Chopper.
Has sticky back magnet sheets, so's I can lay down a steel rule to use as a fence.