dx6i with quad - use all 6 channels in heli mode and keep input modulation by curves - RC Groups
Aug 10, 2015, 05:25 PM
Discussion

dx6i with quad - use all 6 channels in heli mode and keep input modulation by curves

hi

I fly a quad and want to use the aux or gear flip switch on my transmitter to turn the autolevel on the kk controller on or off during flying. However, in heli mode channel 5 and 6 seem to be preprogrammed to do somehting else (gear does nothing, aux seems to vary together with the throttle,... )? I need heli mode, because I need the adjustable curves to set the responsiveness of the sticks along the full range. Is there any way to combine the curve option with the programmable use of ch5 and 6? In this case, make them switch on/off something with the flip/gear knobs?

cheerio and thanks

r
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2015, 05:50 PM
Throttle on a heli usually drives both the pitch/collective and the throttle (or sometimes really only the pitch). The gear channel is normally driven by settings on the gyro screen.

I normally run quads in airplane mode.

Maybe there's an option like Swash = None?? (I don't have a DX6I so I don't know about that.)
Last edited by Dave H.; Aug 10, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Aug 10, 2015, 06:08 PM
S.A.D. member
In SWASH TYPE choose 1SERVO90. This will turn off swash mixing. I am not sure though if it will free up channel 6 which is the PITCH control in helis and is usually controlled by the "throttle" stick which in heli mode is PITCH and not throttle. Change the SWASH TYPE and see what happens on the servo monitor screen.

Ivan
Aug 10, 2015, 11:39 PM
On the DX6i your not going to free up the use of Aux1. It is used as Pitch regardless of swashtype. You say your using heli because you want adjustment of the stick curves? Your going to get Throttle and Pitch curves but nothing on the actual control axis'. That would be a function of Expo and/or Rate.
Rate/Expo is available in Acro mode also.
Aug 13, 2015, 05:50 AM
Thx for the replies dudes! As for now, do I understand it correctly I might free up the gear channel by changing the swash type? @aerocal: what do you mean with "Your going to get Throttle and Pitch curves but nothing on the actual control axis". What do you mean with the actual control axis? The only thing I need is curves for throttle, pitch and roll, right? Rate is just a doubling, no? Which I can flip on the controller itself, indeed also in heli mode. And Expo I should look up, don't know what that is. But Rate/Expo don't give you the same functionality as the sensitivity curves, right?

r
Aug 13, 2015, 06:25 AM
You need to setup a quad as an Acro model. Then you have use of Ch5&6 for other things like mode control. If you want to reduce sensitivity near center for the controls use Expo. If you want to reduce overall sensitivity then reduce Rate.
Yes look up those 2 terms.There is plenty of documentation out there.
Aug 13, 2015, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
In SWASH TYPE choose 1SERVO90. This will turn off swash mixing. I am not sure though if it will free up channel 6 which is the PITCH control in helis and is usually controlled by the "throttle" stick which in heli mode is PITCH and not throttle. Change the SWASH TYPE and see what happens on the servo monitor screen.

Ivan
On a normal swashtype Pitch is still pitch but it is an independent channel as opposed to being mixed in along with Ail and Ele in a CCPM configuration.
Aug 13, 2015, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H.
Throttle on a heli usually drives both the pitch/collective and the throttle (or sometimes really only the pitch). The gear channel is normally driven by settings on the gyro screen.

I normally run quads in airplane mode.

Maybe there's an option like Swash = None?? (I don't have a DX6I so I don't know about that.)
There is definitely an option for No Swash. Its called Acro mode
Aug 13, 2015, 09:17 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal
On a normal swashtype Pitch is still pitch but it is an independent channel as opposed to being mixed in along with Ail and Ele in a CCPM configuration.
That's what I suspected but I don't have a DX6i to test it and the manual does not say anything about it.

My DX7 acts exactly as you described (channel 6 being pitch control on the "throttle" stick ) and that is why I used the wording
Quote:
I am not sure though if it will free up channel 6 which is the PITCH control in helis and is usually controlled by the "throttle" stick which in heli mode is PITCH and not throttle.
Ivan
Aug 15, 2015, 08:34 AM
hi
After a lot of reading and testing, I came to the following conclusions:

For a quad, you need heli mode, as expo and rate options in acro mode only work for rudder/roll/pitch controls, not for the throttle. Also, I found no way to adjust the center position nor a way to lower the sensitivity around the center for the throttle channel (sub trim moves the whole thing by an offset, not what you want)

1) heli mode
You can free up ch5 (flap) in the flap menu. The gear channel (ch6/aux1)however seems to be mixed with the throttle channel and this cannot really turned off in the gyro menu it seems. The gear/fmode switch controls normal vs. stunt mode in the throttle curves, I don't know if it controls other stuff too and I found no way to change this.

2) acro mode
ch5 and ch6 are free, but, no way to have expo/rate on the on the throttle chanel

of course maybe on your flight controller u may have expo function for throttle, but on the KK 2.15 I don't...
Last edited by babipsylon; Aug 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Aug 15, 2015, 08:37 AM
Btw, why the hell are there no throttle curves in acro mode? Spektrum should add a 'quad' mode... or so... or make a menu for manual channel mixing. I lose one channel! Bad buy in that regard!
Aug 15, 2015, 09:46 AM
We did add them - we call it the DX6G2. We also added a much better display, 250 model memory, and way more programmability as well as compatibility with our modern radios.

Andy
Aug 15, 2015, 11:46 AM
If I google DX6G2 is see a plastic plate... . What are u saying here? That I should buy a different transmitter? That I should update the firmware? Your answer is not very precise... .
Aug 15, 2015, 12:13 PM
A firmware update for the dx6i would be nice
Aug 15, 2015, 01:18 PM
Unfortunately the 8-bit CPU in it just doesn't have the horsepower for what we're doing with the 32-bit processors in the newer radios.

I'm not saying "buy a new radio" - I'm saying that we addressed your request for more capabilities, but it wouldn't fit in the outdated system.

Andy