Sep 08, 2015, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea
I'll share the OSH Park project tonight for the version that fits into the back of a +5" monitor.

I wanted to wait until it was tested before giving it out to people.
Thanks a lot
Any plans to release the eagle file as well? I'd like to try something crazy to put inside my fatshark rcv922ae as well and therefore would like to modify it to fit my needs.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2015, 12:25 AM
www.laforgefpv.com
Hey everyone, I have shared my OSH Park project of the diversity receiver board that fits into a monitor.

https://github.com/sheaivey/rx5808-p...ustom-board.md

Two things left out of this board is the buzzer and the I2C pins for OLED. (But in my defense at the time of designing the board I had not yet created the OLED version... )

If I get some time later this week I'll add those two things and update documentation.

EDIT: I have added the buzzer and I2C breakout.

I also attached the Eagle files to this post.
Last edited by crazyshea; Sep 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Sep 09, 2015, 12:52 AM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quick sneak peek... I sent off to OSH Park my FatShark module boards.

With any luck in a few weeks I'll be baking these boards and trying them out in my friends goggles.
Eventually I hope to get some goggles of my own
Sep 09, 2015, 11:29 AM
Dark destroyer of props...
I'm going a slightly different route. I've designed my own board as I am not good with SMD components and am at kindergarten level when it comes to electronics. Mine will have a full size nano and a seperate board for the buttons, oled and led's which will sit on the lid of the enclosure that I'll design. I'm also using RX5808 recievers from https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127478.

This is my first pcb design so let me know what you think.
Edit: I've just realised that I've the resistors on the SPI lines. Back to the drawing board
Last edited by Tupoar; Sep 09, 2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Stupidity.
Sep 10, 2015, 10:38 AM
Ok, I scrapped the last board and decided to make an all in one unit that is for those who aren't that great at soldering like me ie no SMD components.

It uses a Arduino Pro Mini and the rest is reworked from CrazyShea's good work.
Sep 10, 2015, 12:20 PM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupoar
Ok, I scrapped the last board and decided to make an all in one unit that is for those who aren't that great at soldering like me ie no SMD components.

how would I go about getting one of those boards made?
Sep 10, 2015, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis
how would I go about getting one of those boards made?
Just having some issues with the silk screen. Once it's sorted, I'll post it up on OSHPark. Minimum order is 3 boards so I could put your name down for one when I place my order.
Sep 10, 2015, 09:06 PM
Awesome project! Are there any other receivers this could work with? Do you buy your rx5808s from bBngood? I've been waiting forever for mine.
Sep 10, 2015, 10:57 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetus
how hard will be to implement the 8uglib library ???
I'll take a look at the differences this weekend... It should not be too hard since I have already created all the screens. It should just be a matter of matching up the equivalent functions.
Sep 10, 2015, 10:59 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupoar

Nice looks like pretty soon you will be designing boards with SMD components ;-)
Sep 10, 2015, 11:06 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannewt
Awesome project! Are there any other receivers this could work with? Do you buy your rx5808s from bBngood? I've been waiting forever for mine.
This is centered around rx5808 and rx5880 receiver modules. That said, all the module that can use SPI channel select should work.

Although other modules may also have SPI disabled like the rx5808 because some bands are illegal in other countries.
Sep 10, 2015, 11:24 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B.
Thanks for the help, I will try it tomorrow.
Hopefully you got your setup working. I did encounter another issue similar to yours on the bread board.

The ATMega 328 chips do not like floating analog pins. If one analog pin is connected and the rest are floating (nothing connected) the other analog pins will take on the value of the connected pin if you try to read them to soon after the working pin. Weird, but it makes since because of how those chips are designed.

You may want to double check that each RSSI wire is actually feeding a signal into the ATMega and also that both modules are powered.

In my latest boards I have been designing them with 100k ohm pull down resistors attached to the RSSI pins. This helps visually see if there is a problem with your RSSI connections as the receiver signal strength will drop to 0 in the event of a problem. This is important for situations like the receiver losing power unexpectedly, or overheating, or RSSI gets disconnected.
Last edited by crazyshea; Sep 10, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Sep 11, 2015, 10:31 AM
The SPI mod, it is just removing a single resistor? No firmware updates or anything else?

I will be ordering my stuff soon. I will post pics of how I am going to do it with an extra Prototino (linked earlier). I will be making a fork of the code for the rotary encoder. It will be a direct replacement to three buttons using the same three pins.

For those that don't want to use smd components this will be an interesting build for you. I am trying to find the 4066, though I might replace with an optoswitch IC I found. Everything should fit onto the Prototinio prototyping area. I will use an electrical conduit box as the housing

Since I am making a fork I might get two Nexwave race band receivers that the Fatshark goggles use. That receiver does not use SPI. It does what many receivers do, use a set of dipswitches to control band. Then a set of 3 pins that represent the 8 channels in binary. This will require a bit more hacking than an SPI receiver. You would need to desolder the dip switches and than control them with digital switches like the 4066. Same with the channel pins. Then in code replace the SPI code with code that controls the switches. This, in theory, if you make it configurable enough will work with any receiver that is this style. The other style receiver that would be more difficult are the ones that have a single button. Hold longer to change band, short presses to change channel. So, it would be easier to just use the rx5880.
Sep 11, 2015, 03:30 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
The SPI mod, it is just removing a single resistor? No firmware updates or anything else?
For the rx5808 module it is just removing the the resistor.

https://github.com/sheaivey/rx5808-p...808-spi-mod.md
Sep 11, 2015, 05:02 PM
After much head scratching, tweaking and double... triple checking, my version of the PCB is complete.

Available from here https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/IH98BAK4. Mine are ordered

Quick Reply