Thread Tools
Aug 17, 2015, 06:40 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
Thus maybe disabling the timeout on that screen is the best then.
You got it, any menu they navigate to that is not the auto scan/manual mode will stay in the GUI (so band scan and diversity select will stay in GUI). You could even change it so it only leaves the GUI when a channel has been locked on to and the user has not hit seek for 5 seconds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
That's a good point also. Those using antenna trackers might want it. There is an 8 port 4066 switch or opto-switch.

You could do the audio through the arduino. You have three analog pins left. Two for input, the person would have to wire the appropriate left or right channels to it. Usually antenna trackers are mono and only on one channel. Then mirror the appropriate one to an output pin.
As for the audio concerns you can always go to the 8 version digital switch. Just hook into the antenna LED lines for the switching.

For simplicity on my next build I will just be hard wiring to one of the receiver modules audio pin.

On a side note those antenna LED pins can also be used to control a tracking left right when using two directional antennas... But eventually intend to implement the servo library and have the Arduino directly control a servo.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2015, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Cool, looking forward to the changes.
Aug 17, 2015, 10:02 PM
Registered User
cool project!
i wondering there are no need fix about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIxgdeNXJU
it improve reduce noise when switching by capacitor
Aug 17, 2015, 11:26 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw3898
cool project!
i wondering there are no need fix about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIxgdeNXJU
it improve reduce noise when switching by capacitor
Thanks for pointing this out, since we are using the Arduino to do the reading along with a 4066 digital switch these issues can be taken care of via software.

For instance in the readRSSI function we actually read the value of each receiver 10 times then average those readings to get a more smoothed result.

I have also added a 2% difference check to make sure we are not swapping back and forth for little to no gain in signal.

Another thing the Arduino allows us to do is calibrate RSSI for each receiver. This is necessary because these cheap receiver modules can vary in quality and RSSI may not read as strong even with the same antenna and placement. Calibrating allows the switching to be more accurate between the two receivers.
Aug 18, 2015, 02:14 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea
Thanks for pointing this out, since we are using the Arduino to do the reading along with a 4066 digital switch these issues can be taken care of via software.
...
I can say just only three word.

awesome , perfect , great
Aug 26, 2015, 10:17 PM
Registered User
Drmrdude's Avatar

OLED support


Do you have an ETA on OLED support? I saw this other post which looks like he was inspired by the same original project. He has an OLED integrated into his design, but I don't believe he plans to share the info as he is selling built units.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post31700639

I ask because I really want to build a version specifically for identifying open channels. I fly at a busy, but unregulated field, so this would be a great tool to have. I may go the route of making it pocket sized and powered by an internal battery. I don't have the skill set to integrate the OLED support on my own from a software prespective, but I'd be happy to donate some money for you to buy an OLED screen if that would help support the project.

Thanks for the work you have done so far, this looks great!
Aug 26, 2015, 10:29 PM
Registered User
Drmrdude's Avatar
I think optimizing for the 1.3" SPI Serial 128X64 OLED would be perfect.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:27 AM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmrdude
Do you have an ETA on OLED support? I saw this other post which looks like he was inspired by the same original project. He has an OLED integrated into his design, but I don't believe he plans to share the info as he is selling built units.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post31700639

I ask because I really want to build a version specifically for identifying open channels. I fly at a busy, but unregulated field, so this would be a great tool to have. I may go the route of making it pocket sized and powered by an internal battery. I don't have the skill set to integrate the OLED support on my own from a software prespective, but I'd be happy to donate some money for you to buy an OLED screen if that would help support the project.

Thanks for the work you have done so far, this looks great!
I do not yet have an ETA on the OLED version... but it is something I would like to pursue. I have a few 128x64 and 128x32 old displays laying around and think it would be a cool star trek tri-corder spectrum analyzer. But this will require an overhaul of the codebase since there is only room for the TV_out library or OLED Library, not both, it will take some work.

Presently I'm working on a FatShark module that will support diversity for a friend.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:37 AM
SiieeFPV
extent's Avatar
My first thought was it would be interesting to port it for a MinimOSD board, then you've got a max7456 built right in and don't need to have to toggle between menu and video.

In Marko Hoepken's repo I remember him saying about speeding up the spectrum analyzer so that it was scanning the full spectrum in 1 second. Do you know off hand what the limiting factor on this speed is? Is it hobbled by the speed of the atmega micro or is it a limitation of the RX?
Aug 27, 2015, 07:14 AM
Durability Tester
this is very interesting, i have already put a dvr and 5.8 rx inside my 7" screen so diversity is the next plan and i think this will be the way to do it.

the only thing missing is the auto switching. i was just going to use the second channel on my screen for it but it shouldnt be hard for you to get it working since all the hardware is there it should just need some code and a wire.

the oled screen would be better since i can see it and my video at the same time.

and the low battery alarm to warn of low battery instead of having to use separate alarm.
Last edited by geofrancis; Aug 27, 2015 at 08:07 AM.
Aug 27, 2015, 01:33 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by extent
My first thought was it would be interesting to port it for a MinimOSD board, then you've got a max7456 built right in and don't need to have to toggle between menu and video.

In Marko Hoepken's repo I remember him saying about speeding up the spectrum analyzer so that it was scanning the full spectrum in 1 second. Do you know off hand what the limiting factor on this speed is? Is it hobbled by the speed of the atmega micro or is it a limitation of the RX?
The band scanner is about 2 seconds right now to do a full spectrum scan. This is partly because of the RX module. If you go any faster you risk reading initial channel change noise. Another reason it takes 2 seconds is because every channel read currently takes the average of 10 RSSI reads. You could change this in the code but you again risk introducing noise to your readings.
Aug 27, 2015, 03:32 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis
this is very interesting, i have already put a dvr and 5.8 rx inside my 7" screen so diversity is the next plan and i think this will be the way to do it.

the only thing missing is the auto switching. i was just going to use the second channel on my screen for it but it shouldnt be hard for you to get it working since all the hardware is there it should just need some code and a wire.

the oled screen would be better since i can see it and my video at the same time.

and the low battery alarm to warn of low battery instead of having to use separate alarm.
This project could be made to interact as an over lay on the video with a few hardware changes. However in doing so you will have issues with your crafts OSD interfering with the basestation OSD.

Because of this I have created a new board that defaults to displaying the received video out. Then on any button press it switches over to the GUI and then back after 5 seconds of inactivity. This is detailed in some earlier posts.

I have also created a board that is meant to be put directly into the back of a +5" screen.

Which i'll have open source available through oshpark.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:49 PM
Registered User
Drmrdude's Avatar
I contacted the guy who has the OLED screen in his build. He isn't currently selling his model, so he shared the software project.

Here is the Github repo:

https://github.com/dollop80/fpv_receiver_module

And the most tuned script: http://xaribda.ru/docs/RS305.ino

Hope this helps with your project.
Aug 28, 2015, 05:07 AM
Durability Tester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmrdude
I contacted the guy who has the OLED screen in his build. He isn't currently selling his model, so he shared the software project.

Here is the Github repo:

https://github.com/dollop80/fpv_receiver_module

And the most tuned script: http://xaribda.ru/docs/RS305.ino

Hope this helps with your project.
awesome, if the oled code is added to your diversity your on to a winner!
Aug 28, 2015, 12:17 PM
www.laforgefpv.com
crazyshea's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmrdude
I contacted the guy who has the OLED screen in his build. He isn't currently selling his model, so he shared the software project.

Here is the Github repo:

https://github.com/dollop80/fpv_receiver_module

And the most tuned script: http://xaribda.ru/docs/RS305.ino

Hope this helps with your project.
Thanks for obtaining this info. It will be a good reference for working with the U8glib library.

I intend to make the OLED version look as close to the original TV_Out user interface. This may take more time to do but it will be worth it to have both versions sharing the same documentation and menu navigations.

I also had an idea to make a model finder screen. If you have a directional antenna attached you can wave the receiver module around left and right to obtain a direction of your lost craft. This would work best with a small hand held OLED version.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo DIY: Diversity Receiver - rx5808-pro-diversity - clone badzz FPV Equipment 133 Sep 25, 2018 09:56 AM