Jul 02, 2004, 07:17 AM
Thread OP

Newbie Needs .40 Engine & Required Acessories/Parts Advice for New Gas Plane

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to gas-powered aircraft. Here is the aircraft I am purchasing:

http://www.blackdogaeroworks.com/com...sp?idProduct=1

1. What specific brand & type of engine do I need?

2. What other accessories/parts do I need to buy?

3. Is Tower Hobbies a good place to purchase everything needed?

Thank you so much for the benefit of your experience in getting me into the air with this new gas plane!

Julie ;o)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2004, 07:44 AM
The instructions which come with the aircraft should provide some recommendations for engine etc. There's no information or suggestions on the website address you gave so I would be reluctant to buy - as a beginner - without some guidance from the company.

I suggest you contact them by email and defer buying until you get an answer.

It depends on so many factors, but somewhere around the 15 to 29 glow engine seems a likely starting point. the appearance of the advert suggests that electric power may not be suitable. As for Tower as a supplier, the name comes up often in these Forums and appear to be helpful and informative. If they supply the model, why not ask their advice too? No reputable model supplier will try and get you to buy something which will put you off the hobby - you won't go back for further trade if they did.

Have you anyone local who flies similar models? You can save a lot of time and money if you can team up with people in a local club or group who can give regular advice. All the assorted one-off things you need to go with models - glow starter, propellors and such can make a long list but can be used with other models.

Keep in touch!

Tony
Jul 02, 2004, 07:46 AM
Looks like all you'll need are the radio gear, engine and bits to get the engine running. Virtually any .40 engine will be fine for you.

I would suggest you approach your local hobby shop who can not only make sure you have all the bits you need to get started but who can also recommend a local club who can help you get in the air. Visit the club and see what gear they are flying, whether there's anyone there prepared to help you, whether anyone has some second hand gear for sale to save you money.

When it comes to the flying bit, you will either need some instruction or plenty of time on a simulator. Otherwise, you will crash in seconds.
Jul 02, 2004, 12:09 PM
Dave's beaten me to it, but I discovered from their other website that a 40 to 46 glow motor is the recommended engine.

This seems a bit on the powerful side for a beginner so you really do need to get advice and help for the first flights and in setting up the model.
Jul 02, 2004, 01:29 PM
You win again, gravity!
I wouldn't just look at engine size... there are many fine trainers with a .40 size engine, in fact that's what I learned to fly with!

Tonyo's advice is very good though: seek out an R/C club in your area! In fact, do that before you make any purchases: your future flight instructor(s) can help you choose a suitable airplane and engine, and offer tons of good advice on how to build and fly it.

You can also check out what transmitters the instructor are using so that you can buy one that is compatible with them. Your instructor will want to hook up your transmitter with his one using a special cable, so that he can take control of your airplane if you make a mistake, but... his and your transmitters will (probably) need to be of the same brand.
Jul 05, 2004, 12:18 PM
buy a SC40 engine. easy to start, cheap, and cheap parts. and theyr performace i quite good

Quick Reply