This thread is privately moderated by Dongskie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 07, 2015, 12:31 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Build Log

Electric to Gasser Conversion

Building and DIY conversion has always been a challenge for me specially crazy ideas..

Recently I got this cheap electric HUGE RC boat that runs on 3x 550 motor but runs incredibly slow!!

So I looked into my toolbox and found everything I need to do a conversion, a CRAZY idea came to my mind

First here is a review of the electric rc boat "Ocean Queen"

to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2015, 12:42 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Here are a couple of pics of the boat in current state when I got it... I will add the photos for now and update the description as I go along.

The stock electronics have been removed (and thrown away) by the previous owner because he had plans to convert it to nitro power, but his plans had been shelved and never got to work on it.

This is the hull and as it is, there are supposed to be drives 3 propellers in the original setup, as you can see there are 3 protruding drive humps under the hull and as far as I know that isn't a very efficient design.

This is the 4mm drive shaft and the 50mm plastic propeller.

The plastic rudder and an extra drive shaft and the aluminum cooling coil.
Aug 07, 2015, 12:52 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Found some time to remove the 3 protruding drive line humps.

Laid 2 layers of fiber glass and resin on it.

Aug 07, 2015, 01:18 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Working on the DIY motor mounts.

Fronts done... or rear??

Front and rear motor mounts done.
Last edited by Dongskie; Aug 07, 2015 at 01:29 PM.
Aug 08, 2015, 01:21 AM
Pronoun trouble...
That's so "crazy" that it's pure genius. Good luck with the conversion! Nice to see someone going from electrons back to internal combustion since it's been the other way around as of late.
Aug 09, 2015, 11:05 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation
That's so "crazy" that it's pure genius. Good luck with the conversion! Nice to see someone going from electrons back to internal combustion since it's been the other way around as of late.
Totally crazy idea mate, I had been in doubt with this project until I was able to do the DIY motor mount and my hopes became high

The drive line design took me days to think of LOL
Aug 09, 2015, 11:17 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
So I basically had an extra engine from an HPI Baja and it didn't have the standard carb on it but I got a very cheap carb from a big airplane engine and totally looked so different from the stock HPI carb..... and the carb didn't have the normal throttle linkage from the usual HPI ones.

Aside from the unusual throttle link, it didn't have a primer pump too, and this had about 4 inlet tubes!

Here is a closer and blurry photo of the linkage I made.
- blue aluminum stand-off tube as an extension is directly bolted on to the throttle plate shaft
- an HPI servo horn glued and bolted on the opposite end of the stand-off to serve as the linkage lever and mount
- along rod to be connected to the servo arm and pull operation to open the throttle plate.
Last edited by Dongskie; Aug 09, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
Aug 09, 2015, 11:32 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Finalizing the drive line was based on the CG of the boat and is also affected by the location of the engine...

After measuring the CG, I came up with this length for the propeller shaft.

The propeller shaft above is based on a stock Tamiya TT-01 dogbone, chopped in the middle, and forced-fitted, glued and pinned inside the aluminum tube.

Here is the mock set-up.

I hand rolled the shaft to check for binding and alignment.
Aug 09, 2015, 11:38 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
I found out that the bottom inlet tube of the carb was for the pulse pump.

The one with a clear silicone hose was the overflow/return fuel line back to the gas tank.

The top black hose was a breather line, no need to connect to anything.

The right most hose is the fuel inlet line.
Aug 09, 2015, 11:39 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
A mock set-up revealed that I don't have much room to work on

Aug 09, 2015, 11:43 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Another issue found! Too close for comfort

Aug 09, 2015, 11:44 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Bling bling

Aug 09, 2015, 11:47 AM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Fitted the radio box and servos.

Aug 09, 2015, 12:04 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Tuning the engine before permanently gluing the engine mounts.
23cc boat engine DIY (0 min 31 sec)

Testing after glue have dried
23cc rc boat engine (0 min 56 sec)
Oct 25, 2015, 04:34 PM
Dongskie
Thread OP
Late development, my propeller has arrived and made an adaptor for it.

Originally for a 4mm shaft, I had to look for an adaptor to fit it on my current shaft that holds 3mm prop.

Quick Reply