Aug 10, 2015, 07:23 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherflyer
Surely left and right aileron are one channel on the receiver and only one tx function though? probably same with flap, but is there crow braking etc
I dunno, I thought you'd want them on separate channels for the most flexible setup. Maybe not needed?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2015, 07:41 PM
BWX_ has it right:
You need ailerons on separate channels if you want to have crow braking and camber adjustment.
Flaps on separate channels is also necessary in order to have full span ailerons, which improves roll rate and efficiency by reducing adverse yaw (for maximum efficiency the flaps should move about 1/3 to 1/2 the distance that the ailerons move, or if you just want a higher roll rate you can have them move through the same distance as the flaps).

You can find more information in the radian pro owners thread. If you have a spektrum radio (new dx7, dx9, dx18) with the memory card slot, you can find some templates to get you started.

Hussle
Aug 11, 2015, 09:32 AM
aka KF7DS
When is V2 supposed to ship?
Aug 11, 2015, 10:31 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtataltos
Hummm...AR400 vs the original AR610. Don't know if that's good or bad or neutral. Mounting bolts for the wings, nice. Did the decollage change? Hard to tell in the photos but it seems to have move slightly up at the horiz stab leading edge.
Says AR400 but the pic of the electronics bay clearly shows an AR600.
Aug 11, 2015, 12:39 PM
Hummmm...that's not a "good thing" or a "bad thing". Just unknown. Has anyone validated by receipt what is actually shipping?
Aug 11, 2015, 02:06 PM
Keep Looking Up
I have an AR400 in my Radian and it is rock solid way way out in height and distance away. It works great with TM1000 too.
Aug 11, 2015, 02:52 PM

Parkzone Radian

A great looking thermal glider from Horizon.

I just ordered one. The chat salesperson said is was just announced.

Did not know thread was started but found this just now.

Great improvements in the Radian. Another great seller.
Aug 11, 2015, 03:06 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFlysRC
A great looking thermal glider from Horizon.

I just ordered one. The chat salesperson said is was just announced.

Did not know thread was started but found this just now.

Great improvements in the Radian. Another great seller.
You mean pre-order? They aren't in stock are they?
Aug 12, 2015, 12:07 PM

EFlite Radian

Radian looks like preorder only. I had to preorder mine. Middle of September to be shipped that the sales rep told me.

Just looking at other comments about the wing bolts on this new one. Some negative comments . Hopefully they hold up on those hard landing but don't want to break them if a bad landing happens to the bolts. Downside to that is if the wing bolt breaks on a rough landing or crash and if it is plastic no more flying until you order the parts from Horizon and they get in a week.. Even if it is metal screw bolt on system damage might be caused with the mounting system requiring some CA to fix. The older radian had no bolts so the wings just pushed together for assembly. A lot faster assembly at the flying field. Also Horizon sales rep said that the Z Foam in in the fuselage to eliminate the movement in the turns. My older radian I had to add carbon rods in the fuse to prevent this. As Matt commented on in a post the rear set up for rudder and elevator have been upgraded as well in the control horn area.

Just to mention. I bought an older Radian back in 2009 and it flew great.
Thermal capabilities were great. I have purchased other gliders and nothing could compare with the flight times and thermal. I did have one flight of an hour on a warm summer day.

This new version should perform the same or even better. Horizon is really doing great with these new airplanes. I just purchased the Brave and now this airplane.
Last edited by ChrisFlysRC; Aug 12, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Aug 14, 2015, 08:21 AM
Learning to crash
So being kind of new to powered gliders I have wanted a Radian Pro for quite a while. I do have a UMX that I flew for several dozen flights back when I had a Spectrum radio. I've since moved over to a Taranis x9d+, and am wondering if I can use one of my spare D4R I I receivers (from my mini quads) in ppm mode or not seeings I would only need 3 channels on this one I think in this new Radian, or if I would have to go to an external module for my TX instead. I think this Radian might be a better option for me over the pro model with my limited gliding experience. I see the pro is on sale, and it's tempting to take advantage of that price to have a little better glider.
Aug 14, 2015, 09:36 AM
you haven't seen a tree until
Hi Tom T,
various members in my club have discussed the merits of the pro and the radian. the radian (not the pro) seems to have a better glide performance, but obviously does not have all the bells and whistles for doing more adventurous stuff. I would concur with their views that the plain radian seems more efficient at finding lift etc, so it depends a bit what you want to do with it. I wouldn't think the radian any less of a glider though than the pro - although it might not be a hotliner! can't help you on the radio stuff though.
Aug 14, 2015, 10:37 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Any 4 channel radio would work, because the Radian only needs 3. It should be a full range receiver and not a "park flyer" because this plane can be easily flown high and far away. I have both planes, and my vote goes to the Radian, not the Pro.
Aug 14, 2015, 12:12 PM
New Flyer
Hi Tom T!
Aug 14, 2015, 01:08 PM
Learning to crash
Hi TomNT
Aug 14, 2015, 02:56 PM
I might cancel my pre-order. The only way my plane ever came out of a tree was by poking at it until the wings slid off and fluttered down then the fuse, or with time wind and motion worked the wings off and all was on ground. With screw ons, plane will be a loss or broken up getting it out in one piece. Also, i have never had a separation of wing and fuse in flight.

Quick Reply