Jan 15, 2021, 05:35 PM
Always Ready!
....annnnnnd, it just now got delivered.

USPS must be fibbing about their delivery status so they appear to be keeping up with UPS and FedEx.

The parts look perfect. Thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2021, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the update!
Jan 15, 2021, 06:43 PM
Always Ready!
New nose and battery hatch installed. It's amazing how a bit of hot water, Gorilla Glue and toothpicks can straighten out this foam. A bit of acrylic paint for touch-ups. Two "free-to-me" crashed planes ready to re-maiden. I think I put about $40 total into replacement parts.
Jan 15, 2021, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
New nose and battery hatch installed. It's amazing how a bit of hot water, Gorilla Glue and toothpicks can straighten out this foam. A bit of acrylic paint for touch-ups. Two "free-to-me" crashed planes ready to re-maiden. I think I put about $40 total into replacement parts.

The red spinner looks good on this plane.
Jan 15, 2021, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Used an older 3300mah 3S Turnigy 20-30C lipo, fully charged to 12.5v

Looks like full throttle it's just under 18A and 164W.

Haven't flown it yet to compare, but but sure seems to have loads of thrust.
That amp draw does seem a little low considering the bigger prop but if those are accurate numbers then you should be safe.
Let us know how she flys.
Feb 22, 2021, 05:31 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

Revisiting the CG.....

Trying to figure out what changed in my Pawnee while checking the CG between 89 and 98mm, it's so tail heavy now even with my heavier wheels and 7oz 3s all the way up front. Thought I had it right at 95+-. I had to subtrim almost maxed out and still couldn't get the nose down landing....

Starting to think something is going on with the AS3X....... Another time I found that I accidentally used a 3s that was 2oz lighter!
Whats your CG and have you added any weight? Ugh
Last edited by simages; Sep 22, 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Sep 22, 2021, 02:45 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Trying to figure out what changed in my Pawnee while checking the CG between 89 and 98mm, it's so tail heavy now even with my heavier wheels and 7oz 3s all the way up front. Thought I had it right at 95+-. I had to subtrim almost maxed out and still couldn't get the nose down landing.... Starting to think something is going on with the AS3X....... Another time I found that I accidentally used a 3s that was 2oz lighter!
Made some adjustments to control surface deflection and changed back to a 2 Blade Prop as well as swapped out the wheels.
  • Installed a Master Airscrew Windsor 11x8 2 blade
  • Used setscrew prop adapter and secured the prop with a Higley 1/4-28 Spinner Hub added 25g
  • Changed to Precision Aerobatics 2200 V4 50c LiPo at 163g
  • Removed the 64g DuBro Low Bounce 3" Wheels and replaced them with 3" Foam at 20g
The 163 gram LiPo and added 25grams at the prop nut got to the CG right at 95mm, that the manual recommends. I was at that CG, but the plane was a little heavier.
Current Flying Weight for this maiden is 48oz hopefully this will straighten it all out.
Last edited by simages; Sep 22, 2021 at 03:32 PM.
Sep 23, 2021, 10:54 PM
Quote:
I haven't run the Wattmeter on it yet, but the prop and spinner from a SR-22T Cirrus fits with a few shims (same prop as Timber Turbo and Air Tractor).

This is 11x7.5 versus the original 10x8, so I'm sure it will pull more amps with less top speed. I can always trim the prop down if I need to. Still has 2" of ground clearance.
How was the flight performance with the Cirrus prop?
Sep 23, 2021, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
Following up on this problem... I have come up with a solution.

I found that the stock motor shaft is 5mm in diameter. A lot of HH's other planes this size have a 4mm shaft, so my original plan to leverage parts from another plane didn't work out.

I also found that the stock prop has a hole that's 7mm in diameter. That appears to be an odd size, as I had trouble locating a prop adapter for a 7mm prop. The most common parts I found on the Internet for a 5mm motor shaft were made for an 8mm prop hole.

I contacted HH support, and they came through for me as usual. The stock prop adapter package, EFL6906, is out of stock everywhere and even HH doesn't have an ETA for more of them. So instead they sent me an EFLM1932L prop adapter.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/prop-ada...-5mm-eflm1932l

Fortunately, the stock motor shaft has a flat spot for an adapter with a set screw! So the EFLM1932L fit the motor shaft with no problem. I prefer the set screw to the pressure-fit design anyway, so that's an improvement right there to me.

However, like the other parts I found on the Internet, the EFLM1932L is designed for an 8mm prop. I used a drill press to enlarge the hole in the prop using a 5/16-inch drill bit. 5/16 is a hair smaller than 8mm, so it required just a tiny bit of filing to make the prop and the back plate for the spinner fit smoothly. If you happen to have an 8mm drill bit, that would be preferable.

With that little adjustment, everything went together perfectly. The stock spinner still fits over the cap nut provided with the EFLM1932L so I chose to use it.

Can't wait for the next nice day to finally maiden this bird! It's been sitting all Winter waiting for nicer weather, and then this last little challenge popped up.
I ordered the EFLM1932 adapter and may I ask if it came with 2 set screws? Mine only arrived with one, and I see the other hole without one, so I’m wondering if I’m missing one.
Sep 25, 2021, 04:10 PM
Nevermind.. I picked up (2) new EFL6906 Brave Night Flyer Spinners and Adapter from my LHS. Not that I’m gonna need them any time soon.. but because I could.

Thanks for the assist..
Last edited by Blaze0021; Sep 25, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Sep 29, 2021, 10:15 PM
I had one of those planes. Really loved it. A really nice flier. I gave it to a friend who I felt needed a low wing trainer.

Quick Reply