Aug 05, 2015, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FT Bloody Baron

My FT Bloody Baron Maiden Flight. Built from the plans with a couple modifications. I did not use a power pod. I just estimated the motor thrust angle and mounted the motor to my best guess of an angle.

The trailing edge of the ailerons are simply straight cut. I moved the elevator servo a little further back.

My setup is a 2212 (2830?) 1400kv outrunner, 8x45 Gemfan multirotor prop, 20 amp ESC, 2200mah 3S Lipo, LemonRX 7-ch stabilizer receiver. The aileron servo is from Hobbyking, the elevator servo is a generic tower 9g servo from eBay.

FT Bloody Baron Maiden (2 min 2 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2015, 10:16 PM
Looks like it flies nice! The Bloody Baron is one of my favorite designs now - it flies great with a wide range of batteries and has a very wide flight envelope.

On mine, I find you need to kick in a decent amount of rudder on turns, which is the closest thing to a bad tendency it has. The undercamber on the wing edges seems to keep it from tip stalling.

Definitely a great design, and your build looks and flies great!
Aug 05, 2015, 10:38 PM
Very nice!!!!
Aug 05, 2015, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
My plane doesn't have a rudder at all. I just have to bank it over more with a fair amount of speed to get it to turn quickly. It doesn't like to turn slowly and definitely not slowly downwind!
Aug 10, 2015, 07:08 PM
Thread OP

Fun Flying the FT Bloody Baron

This plane is a lot of fun to fly!

Flying the FT Bloody Baron (Mobius BMSWEB settings) (5 min 18 sec)
Sep 13, 2015, 01:52 PM
Dog Fight Streamers Bloody Baron vs P-51 Mustang (4 min 59 sec)
Nov 02, 2015, 07:10 AM
The FT Bloody Baron flies fantastic!

Flite Test Bloody Baron Maiden Flight (3 min 5 sec)

Emax 2812 1534kv
25 amp Tunigy Plush
8x4.5 slowfly
3s 1300 mah
9 gram servos

I traced a speed build kit onto Ross foamboard. Spray painted straight on foam.

Flew awesome! Needed a little up elevator to fly level. Love the battery inside the pod too.

The landing came in fast as it glides nice and I almost caught it solidly but dropped it as I was trying not to damage it from a hard catch.

Also flew second flight with 1000mah 3s and balanced fine.

About 9-10 min flight times until LVC with mixed flying
Sep 03, 2017, 10:53 AM
Scratch Builder
I absolutely love the Bloody Baron, and have built 3 now. One for me, one for my flight instructor, and then a modified speed version. My speed version is basically a BB with the wingtip cambers chopped off, and a cap on the end, wax paper over the top surface, tail chopped off at the all-moving portion, and a much more streamlined tail. It flies ok, it tip stalls extremely bad, but it is FAST! It does not fly anything like the original as it is very unpredictable, but I got what I asked for... speed! Does anyone know of a power setup for more speed?
Sep 03, 2017, 12:49 PM
--------- ✈
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperCooper
Does anyone know of a power setup for more speed?
I have one of these and recently increased the power. So much fun!

My current setup is

Motor: E-max GT2215-09 (1100kv)
Esc: Turnigy Plush 25A
Battery: 1000 mAh 30C
Prop: 9x7.5 APC Electric

I put a GPS in mine to test the speed and got 56mph, almost exactly what eCalc said I would. Speed is prop-limited. Controlability is superb.

For more speed, eCalc says that a 4s battery and 7x9 prop will get around 90 mph with the same motor. I'm sure that, at those speeds, the speed mods you did would really come into play!

Anyway, I recommend eCalc for experimenting with props and motors, it's been spot on for 2/2 planes I GPS and bench-power-tested.
Sep 04, 2017, 12:01 PM
Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by O3D
I have one of these and recently increased the power. So much fun!

My current setup is

Motor: E-max GT2215-09 (1100kv)
Esc: Turnigy Plush 25A
Battery: 1000 mAh 30C
Prop: 9x7.5 APC Electric

I put a GPS in mine to test the speed and got 56mph, almost exactly what eCalc said I would. Speed is prop-limited. Controlability is superb.

For more speed, eCalc says that a 4s battery and 7x9 prop will get around 90 mph with the same motor. I'm sure that, at those speeds, the speed mods you did would really come into play!

Anyway, I recommend eCalc for experimenting with props and motors, it's been spot on for 2/2 planes I GPS and bench-power-tested.
Wow thanks! My problem is that when it flies at anything less than half throttle it waggs its wings uncontrolably, and the elevator is wierd. It begins by pitching up very slowly, and about 1/2 the way through, flips over like a quad. CG is a touch nose heavy. Any suggestions on low speed handling and this elevator issue?
Sep 05, 2017, 10:16 PM
I modified Bloody Baron for anti shocking purposes. This Baron suitable for trainee because of " unbreakable"
This picture I took when 80% loading and not decorating yet.
Fuselage monoblock with 2 layer of 5 mm foam each side.. Wing tip made by epp and cover with hot glue. I used 2 servo for aileron and elevator and no rudder. Battery places near nose for cooling and balancing,
Motor 2206/1500 kv
Battery: 800 mah
ESC 12 A
Prop 8 x 6.4 SF
AUW: 368gr /13 ounces
Wingspan: 72 cm/ 28.3 inches
Last edited by jivago; Sep 06, 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Sep 24, 2017, 08:22 AM
Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivago
I modified Bloody Baron for anti shocking purposes. This Baron suitable for trainee because of " unbreakable"
This picture I took when 80% loading and not decorating yet.
Fuselage monoblock with 2 layer of 5 mm foam each side.. Wing tip made by epp and cover with hot glue. I used 2 servo for aileron and elevator and no rudder. Battery places near nose for cooling and balancing,
Motor 2206/1500 kv
Battery: 800 mah
ESC 12 A
Prop 8 x 6.4 SF
AUW: 368gr /13 ounces
Wingspan: 72 cm/ 28.3 inches
You are right, the bloody baron is truly unbreakable! (Knock on wood) How well does it function as a trainer though? I figured with its short WS it would be too unstable. Let me know how well this works. I did see that you lessened the aileron length.
Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 AM
Quote:
You are right, the bloody baron is truly unbreakable! (Knock on wood) How well does it function as a trainer though? I figured with its short WS it would be too unstable. Let me know how well this works. I did see that you lessened the aileron length.
Dear Trooper Cooper
I had the maiden flight last week. She fly so well but got a little difficult when I made rolling. With 800 mah battery, she fly about 10 minutes.
I reduced the length of aileron because I like less sensitivity.
Sep 25, 2017, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivago
Dear Trooper Cooper
I had the maiden flight last week. She fly so well but got a little difficult when I made rolling. With 800 mah battery, she fly about 10 minutes.
I reduced the length of aileron because I like less sensitivity.
use expo and rates.
Nov 05, 2017, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Wow thanks! My problem is that when it flies at anything less than half throttle it waggs its wings uncontrolably, and the elevator is wierd. It begins by pitching up very slowly, and about 1/2 the way through, flips over like a quad. CG is a touch nose heavy. Any suggestions on low speed handling and this elevator issue?
TrooperCooper what do you mean by "wags its wings uncontrollably"? Do you mean rolls left then quickly right constantly?

Elevator: does it do this if you just held the transmitter stick steady in the same place? Or do you mean that as you increase the elevator movement on the transmitter it eventually flips?

Do you have any video of this happening?

Quick Reply