Aug 05, 2015, 05:38 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeenX2
Just another difference, I saw from TechRadar

"The Phantom 3 Standard's rotors are mounted vertically, where those on the more expensive Advanced and Pro models have a slight tilt for greater stability."

So obviously a different shell as well.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1301108/review

Seems like a no brainer to save up the extra money to get the P3A. They are both 40Mbps max recording anyways...
thats the new E305 motors as well looking at the pictures,

its a very different craft from the advance/pro
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2015, 06:00 PM
I dont buy this "Pros will choose the advance over the standar because of the 1080 60fps". If the standard does 1080 at 48fps and 2.7k then its superior than the advance, period.
At least yet I havent seen another spec that proves that the advance is better than the standard camera wise. So, unless something new comes to the adv the standard has a better camera to shoot video.
And if they step up the advance, it would come very close to the pro, so they should upgrade the pro too, but I dont know how they could unless they come with a protune thing, 2,7 at 60fps or something alike.

So my guess is that the whole p3 line will be uneven, probably as it is now.

Again, is quite cool that theres another cheap great ap platform. I have the p3p and apparently in no time I will find that I could have saved quite a lot of money. I expected that to happen in a year or so, hopefully two, but this is quite a surprise. It will happen to the ones that buy the standar too probably sooner than later so that seems to be the game.
Aug 05, 2015, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachotrippy
I dont buy this "Pros will choose the advance over the standar because of the 1080 60fps". If the standard does 1080 at 48fps and 2.7k then its superior than the advance, period.
At least yet I havent seen another spec that proves that the advance is better than the standard camera wise. So, unless something new comes to the adv the standard has a better camera to shoot video.
And if they step up the advance, it would come very close to the pro, so either they upgrade the pro (I dont know how they could unless they come with a protune thing or something alike).
Make fps is 30 unless you're in 720p mode, then it's 60fps.
Aug 05, 2015, 06:09 PM
Quote:
And if they step up the advance, it would come very close to the pro, so they should upgrade the pro too, but I dont know how they could unless they come with a protune thing, 2,7 at 60fps or something alike.

So my guess is that the whole p3 line will be uneven, probably as it is now.

Again, is quite cool that theres another cheap great ap platform. I have the p3p and apparently in no time I will find that I could have saved quite a lot of money. I expected that to happen in a year or so, hopefully two, but this is quite a surprise. It will happen to the ones that buy the standar too probably sooner than later so that seems to be the game.
its not just down to the resolution, a lot of the Advance and Pro image processing is done in the Lightbridge unit its self as it has the imaging processor, the standard does not have that as the SD card is straight into the camera

the camera may very well record a higher resolution than the advance but its optics,sensor and image processing are not of the quality of the Advance/Pro, we know the Advance and Pro have the same sensor, its unlikely this uses that sensor.

you can get a $50 digital camera thats got a higher resolution than a 7D but its still not going to be a better camera
Aug 05, 2015, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1

you can get a $50 digital camera thats got a higher resolution than a 7D but its still not going to be a better camera
Exactly.

I could encode a video from my Syma X5C at the same resolution, still going to look bad. Garbage in, garbage out. Not saying the Standard will be bad, but it's not always about specs on paper. Both the Standard and Advance technically record at a max of 40Mbps anyways. Same amount of information per second.

The Advanced is well worth the $200 more. I'm sure a lot of people will get the Standard and wish they would have spent the extra $200 later for Lightbridge, controller, VPS, Glonass, Camera, etc.
Aug 05, 2015, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike
Make fps is 30 unless you're in 720p mode, then it's 60fps.
Oh, sory, the link stated other thing

"The Standard, as with the rest of the range, comes equipped with a camera mounted on a motorised gimbal. The camera features a 1/2.3-inch, 12 million pixel sensor that is capable of capturing 2.7K video at 30fps, 1080p at 48 fps or 720p at 60fps. The ability to capture 2.7K video puts it slightly ahead of the next model up in one respect, but the Advanced can shoot 1080p at a higher frame rate of 60fps, which will be more appealing to the higher end videographer."

Quote:
its not just down to the resolution, a lot of the Advance and Pro image processing is done in the Lightbridge unit its self as it has the imaging processor, the standard does not have that as the SD card is straight into the camera

the camera may very well record a higher resolution than the advance but its optics,sensor and image processing are not of the quality of the Advance/Pro, we know the Advance and Pro have the same sensor, its unlikely this uses that sensor.

Yeah, but I still dont see any diference stated about the optics or image processing, and the footage looks pretty much alike the adv or pro.

If anyone has detailed info about the two optics, sensor and such I would apreciate them very much since they still look the same to me.

Does anyone has the standar allready to do a side by side comparison between the cameras?
Aug 05, 2015, 06:49 PM

Official Phantom 3 STANDARD ***Owners Thread***

Quote:
Oh, sory, the link stated other thing

"The Standard, as with the rest of the range, comes equipped with a camera mounted on a motorised gimbal. The camera features a 1/2.3-inch, 12 million pixel sensor that is capable of capturing 2.7K video at 30fps, 1080p at 48 fps or 720p at 60fps. The ability to capture 2.7K video puts it slightly ahead of the next model up in one respect, but the Advanced can shoot 1080p at a higher frame rate of 60fps, which will be more appealing to the higher end videographer."

Yeah, but I still dont see any diference stated about the optics or image processing, and the footage looks pretty much alike the adv or pro.

If anyone has detailed info about the two optics, sensor and such I would apreciate them very much since they still look the same to me.

Does anyone has the standar allready to do a side by side comparison between the cameras?

There will be differences and it can be seen by the SD card location, it's an updated v+

Your not going to get the information your after. You just need to take it that's it's going to be a less capable camera, likely less ISO range and lowlight capability as well.
Aug 05, 2015, 06:58 PM
Quote:
There will be differences and it can be seen by the SD card location, it's an updated v+

Your not going to get the information your after. You just need to take it that's it's going to be a less capable camera, likely less ISO range and lowlight capability as well.
That would make my envy goblin happier cos I bought the p3p but i still dont see any evidence of the camera beeing worst than the advanced one. I get all your points, and I know a nikon d40 with decent optics will be much better than a 1000mpx iphone camera. But do you guys see an inferior image quality in the promo video? Those balloon shoots looks as nice as any p3p or adv footage
If it had the fisheye back then id think too that it is just an update from the v+ camera. That would have been a nice clear way to differenciate the consumer and prosumer models. But given the straight optics I believe its the same glass than the adv and pro. And since they just came with a decent camera on the p and a models I find it hard to believe that they threw all that to the garbage and did a whole new inferiour (but similar) camera sensor and processing wise. I find it easier to believe that they took the camera they already built tested and such and limited by software into the specs we know. But its all guessing, maybe you guys have better sources and knowledge about their insides
Last edited by nachotrippy; Aug 05, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Aug 05, 2015, 11:18 PM
Quote:
That would make my envy goblin happier cos I bought the p3p but i still dont see any evidence of the camera beeing worst than the advanced one. I get all your points, and I know a nikon d40 with decent optics will be much better than a 1000mpx iphone camera. But do you guys see an inferior image quality in the promo video? Those balloon shoots looks as nice as any p3p or adv footage
If it had the fisheye back then id think too that it is just an update from the v+ camera. That would have been a nice clear way to differenciate the consumer and prosumer models. But given the straight optics I believe its the same glass than the adv and pro. And since they just came with a decent camera on the p and a models I find it hard to believe that they threw all that to the garbage and did a whole new inferiour (but similar) camera sensor and processing wise. I find it easier to believe that they took the camera they already built tested and such and limited by software into the specs we know. But its all guessing, maybe you guys have better sources and knowledge about their insides
Don't base your opinions on a promotional video. You don't know how much post processing was done, how much inferior footage was discarded, etc. Wait to see what actual users are coming up with instead. That's the real proof, the bottom line on the P3S quality.

I saw a couple samples of pre-production P3S videos on Youtube earlier today and they weren't impressive, but I discount those too - we don't if the pre-production cameras are the same as the ones being shipped to conumers.

We'll start seeing videos in a week or two. Some guys who own a P3P or P3A will buy a P3S and do comparisons. Then we'll have better info to consider whether today's new Phantom will undercut the P3A or if it's actually a lesser product as the price would indicate.
Aug 06, 2015, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
Don't base your opinions on a promotional video. You don't know how much post processing was done, how much inferior footage was discarded, etc. Wait to see what actual users are coming up with instead. That's the real proof, the bottom line on the P3S quality.

I saw a couple samples of pre-production P3S videos on Youtube earlier today and they weren't impressive, but I discount those too - we don't if the pre-production cameras are the same as the ones being shipped to conumers.

We'll start seeing videos in a week or two. Some guys who own a P3P or P3A will buy a P3S and do comparisons. Then we'll have better info to consider whether today's new Phantom will undercut the P3A or if it's actually a lesser product as the price would indicate.
agree
Aug 06, 2015, 02:32 AM
For the price this is a good buy but DJI should have just revamped the P2 vision to a ver4 , using the same batteries as the P2, improving the GPS and a few other features , including the option to be able to use a Gopro and allowing the VPS to be add as a module . This would have been a killer and a nail into the many other manufactures .
Aug 06, 2015, 04:46 AM
None
Video looks way better than the p2v+.

Phantom 3 Standard - Sample Footage (3 min 46 sec)

however, gimbal doesn't seem as stable as the p3a/p. probably not using in-camera stabilization.
Aug 06, 2015, 05:02 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk
Video looks way better than the p2v+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgas2nsCQDQ

however, gimbal doesn't seem as stable as the p3a/p. probably not using in-camera stabilization.
Maybe, even them I think it's way better than any other product in the same price range... Much better...
Aug 06, 2015, 07:03 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
Don't base your opinions on a promotional video. You don't know how much post processing was done, how much inferior footage was discarded, etc. Wait to see what actual users are coming up with instead. That's the real proof, the bottom line on the P3S quality..
I agree - but also consider that the $799 buyer (in general) will be delighted and amazed almost no matter what. This is the "BeBop" and old AR Drone buyer in a sense. The vids and pics, like on a smart phone, are likely to be more than good enough for what folks are going to do with them.

Over youtube and watched on a mobile device they are likely to be as good as any - and that's what counts for the target market. I think they will exceed the expectations of most of the buyers....not you or I....but most of the buyers and users.
Aug 06, 2015, 07:41 AM
Gary
Ireland: "free" healthcare has it's cost.

Quick Reply