This thread is privately moderated by Stuart Warne, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 04, 2015, 03:14 PM
MotionRC Europe
Thread OP
Yippee!

One ticked from the bucket list, Airworld Me-262!

My love of full composites continues, this time with an Airworld 2m Me-262 I pick up recently direct from the factory when in Germany last month. This is a big step up from the Savex Spitfire (that's still not finished) but I'm looking forward to it. This will however be another one for the pile of kits waiting for me when I eventually move from Hong Kong, but with the Euro as low as it is now, I just couldn't resist 😉

Come back in a year or so's time, who knows I may have started it by then!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2015, 04:32 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice! I just picked up one last weekend. New un built. He started cutting the hinges and that is it...No paper work or small parts. But I got a pretty good deal so happy...Can you send me a copy of the build CD?
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 05, 2015, 06:32 AM
MotionRC Europe
Thread OP
Hi Scott, sure I'll send you a copy of the contents of the CD later today.

Now what do you think about flaps? I'd like to fit them myself and I was looking at the aileron last night. They seem to be almost full span up until the engine nacelle, they where only half this length on the full sized.

So rather than cutting out new flaps inboard of the nacelle, what about reducing the length of the aileron and using the remaining length closest to the nacelle as a flap, just as per full size.

what do you think? My only concern would be reduction in roll authority. Take a look at your own model, what do you think?
Last edited by Stuart Warne; Aug 09, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
Aug 05, 2015, 10:52 AM
Pro Hoarder
I was thinking the exact same thing! I say cut the aileron down and just use more throw. A plane this cool has to have flaps. I have a few projects ahead of this so maybe we can do parrelle build next year.
Scott
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 09, 2015, 04:13 PM
MotionRC Europe
Thread OP
Scott, send me a Pm with your email address, I'll send you the content of the CD that came with my model.

BTW, what set-up you considering?

S.
Aug 20, 2015, 07:42 PM
They call me Lipo...
This model looks fantastic !

Not to sound like a total twit, but could you build the model, maiden it and see how it flies, and then add flaps later?
Sep 08, 2015, 01:11 PM
MotionRC Europe
Thread OP
I've looked at it even more closely now, partial flaps cut from the ailerons are actually very straight forward so it's a no brainier ��. Just need to settle myself back in Europe now and I might actually be able to start this build!

That said, I'll get a Savex L-39 under my belt first as practice ��
Jan 29, 2016, 10:41 AM

Airworld Schwalbe is stellar - but what about the "masses"?

Excited to see your love for the Me-262 - Iam still hoping you'd come up with a truly gorgeous 64mm EPO Schwalbe with around 1200mm wingspan - for the masses

the SkyAngel 50mm is superb but too small, and the Freewing / Dynam too large for most IMHO - well, and the GWS is a nice flyer but outdated EPS and oversize nacelles - the world is waiting for you to do a similar job as you did with the Spitfire Mk 1, and with the new Freewing 12-blade rotors even the fans would look pretty scale

EDIT: Sorry, with 1200mm that would be Avios

cheers
Clemens
Feb 21, 2016, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne
Hi Scott, sure I'll send you a copy of the contents of the CD later today.

Now what do you think about flaps? I'd like to fit them myself and I was looking at the aileron last night. They seem to be almost full span up until the engine nacelle, they where only half this length on the full sized.

So rather than cutting out new flaps inboard of the nacelle, what about reducing the length of the aileron and using the remaining length closest to the nacelle as a flap, just as per full size.

what do you think? My only concern would be reduction in roll authority. Take a look at your own model, what do you think?
Hi Stuart,

I would follow the original design and have the flaps as they were originally designed.

After all, "Willy M." and his design team comprehensively wind tunnel tested the design before manufacture commenced.

But I always find it helpful to read the "Pilot's Notes" relating to any scale aircraft, before I fly the model.
There are often "little gems" of information to be found, that make all the difference between having an easy, or difficult model to fly.

As the ME 262 is a swept wing aircraft, some rudder mixed with aileron will significantly improve the roll rate, as the leading wing develops more lift than the trailing wing.
I normally make my Aileron/Rudder mixing switchable from the transmitter.

However, do NOT let the inner wing stall in a low speed turn, as this could easily result in a terminal roll, similar to the unfortunate B52 crash at Fairchild Airforce base in 1994.............With my sincerest condolences to the crew's families.

1994 Fairchild Air Force Base B-52 Plane Crash (1 min 22 sec)

In Britain, a large scale model B52, fitted with 8 gas turbine engines did exactly the same thing on a test flight.

Only VERY effective rudder authority, and height, could have saved either aircraft.
This is why wing fences are often used to improve the airflow over swept wings, when yawed, as well as wing spoilers to assist the rudder authority.

You are probably aware of most of this, but "hanging all the available information together" will enable you to create a great flying model.
But always ensure your servo (motors) have maximum leverage, synchronised with the flaps when fully deployed. (As per the full size)
ALL of my Durafly models, and others, have the flap horns and linkages modified to achieve this.

I have a swept wing, semi-scale version of the ME 163 that will snap roll, in either direction, using only "Rudder".
It doesn't even have ailerons...................Only "fixed" elevons.

So Simple, yet So Effective...............

Happy Landings................................
Last edited by Dr Chudleigh; Feb 21, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
May 26, 2016, 10:53 PM
Schwalbe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Durafly
However, do NOT let the inner wing stall in a low speed turn, as this could easily result in a terminal roll, similar to the unfortunate B52 crash at Fairchild Airforce base in 1994.............With my sincerest condolences to the crew's families.
This accident was a watershed in Aviation Human Factors studies. It resulted in the coining of the term 'rogue pilot'. The wing stall was only a very minor factor in the accident as they basically put the aircraft into a position from which it was not possible to recover. Any stall was a result of a vain attempt to recover when ground contact was inevitable.

That doesn't make your point about stalling in a low speed turn any less valid. I recall seeing video of the RC B-52 crash and thinking; 'My God! Exactly like the real B-52 crash at Fairchild.'

Sorry about hijacking your blog Stuart. Back to the 262 and where are my RAAF decals for the MkV Spitfire? Are you just making sure Callie stays in business?
cheers,

Ingo
Feb 06, 2017, 08:56 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Keep us updated stu. Very interested in this one. I've got some vid of a nice turbine 262 at my club, I'll post it on my blog when it's done and let you know. Ps: I would doubt you would notice much difference in roll rate with your flap mod, done it myself on other birds and no issues. Can't wait to see the finished result. Cheers mate.

Quick Reply