Eagle Tree Sponsors the Charlotte FPV Racing League

How does a company get first hand experience in evolving FPV technologies? The get involved in it!

Splash

Team Eagle Tree and FPV Racing

If you follow what's going on in RC you know that FPV racing is on the rise. RCGroups is closely monitoring all that's going on in this arena. Another company that is keenly interested in FPV racing is Eagle Tree. ET has been helping radio control enthusiasts gather and track data from their aircraft for years. Now they are on the forefront of the FPV racing craze! RCGroups and Eagle Tree are working together as sponsor of the FPV line at the Heli Extravaganza this year but that's just the tip of the ice burg! I was talking with John from Eagle and asked him to update our RCG users on their latest FPV racing forays.

John from Eagle Tree

With the rise in popularity of the 250 size racers, we at Eagle Tree Systems wanted to develop a program for rapid testing, development and tuning of the Vector for 250 size racing platforms. We decided the best way to do this was to personally get involved in the 250 racing scene so that we could interact first hand with racers. For this reason we started Team Eagle Tree, and sponsored the Charlotte FPV Racing League (which is also a MultiGP chapter) based out of Charlotte NC. We have secured a prime location for races and currently have space for an open area gated course and a wooded technical course.

The biggest hurdle was management of the events and racers. We decided to start a Meet up group to reach potential racers and to schedule events. Once we got a core group of racers, Team Eagle Tree purchased the lap timer system from MultiGP.

We are constantly getting new members and have regularly scheduled events. Right now it is basically a fun-fly atmosphere and plan to have one fun-fly per month and one scored race per month. We have an equal amount of experienced and new pilots. We have had several people show up just to get an idea of what FPV racing is all about. Many of them are now flying their own quads now!

Team Eagle Tree plans on taking the course and timing system to the shows we attend next year. We plan on having the course open for public use at the shows and will have Team Eagle Tree sponsored pilots putting the Vector through its paces!

Aug 04, 2015, 03:03 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Great job guys! It's cool to see you jump headlong into the fastest growing segment of the hobby today!
Aug 04, 2015, 09:15 PM
Outlaw
Whatcha got for the fixed-wing FPV'ers?

Aug 04, 2015, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuMadre
Whatcha got for the fixed-wing FPV'ers?

a 250-quad!
Aug 05, 2015, 05:50 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
LOL, Matt.

A few of the guys I fly with have been looking at fixed wing FPV Pylon racing. We just need to figure out if the timing system would work..
Aug 05, 2015, 08:24 AM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
a 250-quad!
Yep. I figured that would be the answer.

Aug 05, 2015, 06:47 PM
We fly everything!

The timing system consists of an LED transponder mounted on the aircraft and a series of receivers connected to a laptop. The receiver "sees" the LED as it passes underneath it. We could use a tall gate but you would still have to fly under it.

We will eventually try it with a wing to see how it will work out but right now we've been concentrating on the quad racing.

We're having a practice session this Saturday, come check us out. We use meetup to schedule practice, races, fun fly and assign frequencies. And, we have a Google+ page, Charlotte FPV Racing League.
Last edited by JETNC; Aug 05, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Aug 13, 2015, 07:13 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
man, i'm super excited to see this ! i'm building my first 250 quad now. and hoping to get into the FPV very soon. i would love to come see you guys fly...and pick your brains !!
Aug 14, 2015, 03:22 PM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
LOL, Matt.

A few of the guys I fly with have been looking at fixed wing FPV Pylon racing. We just need to figure out if the timing system would work..
GatorB8 from Club Outlaw flies 4S Funfighter FPV.
Aug 19, 2015, 01:07 AM
Great job guys!!!!
Dec 30, 2015, 02:01 AM
Kudos for ET getting in and supporting 250 quad racing by actually getting involved!

I currently use cc3d flight controllers on my 3-4s 250 fpv racing quads but would love to try a Vector w/gps and osd. My main concern is how well it would fly compared to my cc3d fc's and also how hard is it to fit the gps without getting interference on a small 250 racer.

Maybe ET needs to look at developing a smaller version for fpv 250 racers? Thanks again.
Dec 30, 2015, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
Kudos for ET getting in and supporting 250 quad racing by actually getting involved!

I currently use cc3d flight controllers on my 3-4s 250 fpv racing quads but would love to try a Vector w/gps and osd. My main concern is how well it would fly compared to my cc3d fc's and also how hard is it to fit the gps without getting interference on a small 250 racer.

Maybe ET needs to look at developing a smaller version for fpv 250 racers? Thanks again.
So you want to go from a $20 FC to a $150 dollar FC and your concern is how well it compares to a cc3d? Maybe these guys should build some actual gear for mini quads before they go all in with mini quads? Or maybe people just really need that $270 OSD to get that extra tenth a lap.

Don't get me wrong I think sponsors are a good thing, but not all sponsors are created equal. Sometimes you won't get a good one until you turn down a couple bad ones. I just don't like the idea of some company suggesting to a newbie they need a $150 FC.
Dec 30, 2015, 08:34 AM
I do not mind spending the extra coin if it works well.
Dec 31, 2015, 02:39 AM
The Vector actually fits into a 250 quad very well. We've got guys flying 210 and smaller with the Vector (with gps). The nice thing about it is the wire harness. Mount the Vector topside on your 250 for race day, pull it off and plug it into your 500 size cruising quad that afternoon. It's that easy.

Concerning the comment "you don't like any company suggesting to a new pilot that they need a $150 fc". No offense but it's a little shortsighted. Why shouldn't they try one if they want to? It's all a matter of personal preference, nobody forces us to have fun racing quads...lol

For the price the Vector has some cool features and it's not just for quads, it's for planes too. And again, it's easily swappedal so you can use it on multiple platforms. You get a lot for the price!

Btw, I'm just a guy that uses them so I've seen the benefits. You know the old saying, don't knock it until you've tried it.....
Dec 31, 2015, 03:55 AM
Thanks for your positive feedback jetnc. I think I'll give one a go!

Quick Reply