Aug 25, 2015, 07:32 AM
:)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro001
When do we hope to see these quads on the shelves? Just broke a frame yesterday need to upgrade.
We're going as hard as possible to get everything done and coordinated. Almost all long lead time orders are in now, underway or arrived. Just a few orders left from proven suppliers and then its long hours of counting and packaging for me

Pre-orders are aiming to go live in around a week, and we're pushing to ship 2 weeks after that. This is in an ideal world though and we still have a lot of work photographing, writing etc to do yet. And then there's videos............

Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
Soma, are we going to get the test results, recommended parts, and information about the frames before the preorder? I would like to make an informed decision
We have motors and cameras here now and are hoping to have all specific items relating to the frame in stock at the time of launch.

The main challenge with that will be working out the best value packs we can put together shipping-wise. I'm hoping we can keep a frame and 4 motors under 500g, or a frame and camera etc. We will be getting onto combos once packaging is finalised, which is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni1312
+1

Exactly what i am looking for. We need more infos about the different powertrains. Release it now!!!

Cameras are ordered. Lemon sats are ordered.
Same as above mate. Unfortunately, I'm still needing to keep tight lipped due to the shameless assertions of copying the frame we're hearing. We worked very hard for this frame and are looking forward to presenting everything we've learned from that hard work to the community as soon as we can.

Unfortunately it is those that take those ideas for their own financial gain, that disadvantage the community by putting us in a position where we need to protect our work by remaining tight lipped.

Believe me mate, it pains me to hold it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Soma and Mr.Breakmore: You've mentioned that you plan to sell an FPV camera that fits the Alien frame at ImpulseRC, alongside the frames themselves. Do you expect to sell vTX as well? Or should we plan to purchase everything but the FPV cam elsewhere? With the extra lead time for me via US to Africa, I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for an Alien build in Nov-Dec.
No plans for the VTX yet, only due to financial constraints. We'd love to offer the IRC 600mW in store and will look to as soon as we can, but funds don't allow that right now. All power is being channeled to the Aliens themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
I hope more RaceBand vTx will become available soon... http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-tx5g2...ansmitter.html
The frame was designed to fit the IRC 600mW thinking it would be the biggest VTX we would reasonably be expected to support.

The thought was, with the way VTX's are shrinking by the minute, that the superseding IRC VTX would definitely be smaller. We have heard however that the raceband VTX is actually bigger! So just check that. I might be able to post a guide on how much room is there for the VTX when I get to it.

In any case, the IRC 600 is the biggest I have and it fits nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantaylor
Sorry guys, looks like I've opened a can of worms with my original question, and derailed this thread into a battery tech discussion, perhaps Soma could give us another nugget of information about the Alien to get the discussion back on track
Mate, lipos are a very relevant discussion because they are the limiting factor at the moment. I think a lot of the readers here, myself included, are very keen to stay abreast what's happening with lipo tech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg7racer
SOMA: I have been waiting to build me a Blackout Mini H for 6 months now..

AFTER SEEING YOUR NEW ALIEN: Make that an Alien instead! )

I hope to see it availble in the USA soon. )
Good to hear mate

Soon mate... Soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreunt
We need to somehow get Elon Musk interested in quadcopters..

Is the tornado f3 available anywhere yet?
Yes, a high ticket R&D grant would be lovely no???

The Tornado's are being manufactured now. We're trying to co-ordinate it all and its going quite well so far....

Time to hit the rack for tonight now. Cheers All!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2015, 07:33 AM
Alf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Glide
Ok so you want things back on topic???

Here's my maiden flight of the Alien 5" with GoPro attached last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgu8QS8oUZQ
Very impressive!!!.

Is this raw cut, from start to end ?

How many times have you lost it in the three and have to clime it ?

Hang Loose
Alf
Aug 25, 2015, 08:10 AM
Team Warpsquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
The frame was designed to fit the IRC 600mW thinking it would be the biggest VTX we would reasonably be expected to support.

The thought was, with the way VTX's are shrinking by the minute, that the superseding IRC VTX would definitely be smaller. We have heard however that the raceband VTX is actually bigger! So just check that. I might be able to post a guide on how much room is there for the VTX when I get to it.

In any case, the IRC 600 is the biggest I have and it fits nicely
The Raceband VTX fits just fine. It's the FatShark VTX's that are a hairs breath wider than the IRC VTX's but very few have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Skaar
Very impressive!!!.

Is this raw cut, from start to end ?

How many times have you lost it in the three and have to clime it ?

Hang Loose
Alf
Yeah mate it's a raw cut of raw anger of me in the rawwww. Sorry, couldn't help it

I haven't got stuck in those trees yet but have crashed through them plenty of times in the past lol.
Aug 25, 2015, 08:40 AM
Team WarpSquad
Thanks Soma,
is a pigtail of apriopriate length going to be available as well?
Aug 25, 2015, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Pre-orders are aiming to go live in around a week, and we're pushing to ship 2 weeks after that.
Thanks for the update, Soma. Your hard work and attention to detail is why I'm so excited about this frame. I doubt I'm the only one.
Aug 25, 2015, 09:44 AM
Just curious, how much are these beautiful alien frames expected to be?
Aug 25, 2015, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatkabab
Just curious, how much are these beautiful alien frames expected to be?
TBD, but blackout-ish (I'd assume that would be a frame without the LED package). Rest assured the boys are doing their best to keep the pricing competitive
Aug 25, 2015, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
TBD, but blackout-ish (I'd assume that would be a frame without the LED package). Rest assured the boys are doing their best to keep the pricing competitive
If it's blackoutish it would put the blackout mini H out of commission. No point for it to exist any longer. I usually find theb warpquad stuff to be far higher quality than pretty much anything out there. It would be an excellent value at $140.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:26 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Ugh! Internet ate my post. Hate it when that happens and I have to retype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms
Me personally, I'm, hanging out for Li-Su batteries! 3x denser than Li-Po and able to be fully discharged. Non flammable too. Hopefully we see them in the next few years.

3x longer flights.... yes please!
Interesting, Realms! Never heard of Li-Su before. Do they smell like rotten eggs when they burn up? I'd be content with just double the energy density of Li-Po. Crossing fingers...

Quote:

Looking good, Final Glide! This video is clear evidence that psychology is a major factor in flying performance. I think that's the first time I've seen how close to the ocean you live. Glad you still got your Fozza, too.

Quote:
No plans for the VTX yet, only due to financial constraints. We'd love to offer the IRC 600mW in store and will look to as soon as we can, but funds don't allow that right now. All power is being channeled to the Aliens themselves
Soma: Sounds like you have your priorities straight in allocating limited capital and other resources!

Quote:
Speaking of which, will the IRC 600mW fit all three frames? My impression is that the center section of the 4" Alien is smaller than for 5" and 6" Aliens. So it might require a smaller VTX. Of course, you'll want to build the 4" Alien super-light and I doubt anybody would fly it long range. So a smaller 25mW micro VTX is all the 4" may need.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatkabab
If it's blackoutish it would put the blackout mini H out of commission. No point for it to exist any longer. I usually find theb warpquad stuff to be far higher quality than pretty much anything out there. It would be an excellent value at $140.
I'd love to see more photos of this frame with HD cameras mounted, before I came to that conclusion. On my current setup (Sunnysky 2204/2300kv, 3S, 6030 props), I need vibration isolation to avoid jello. I know that lots of people hard-mount their HD camera, but I don't seem to be able to get away with it. People are also tending to mount their GoPro or Xaomi Yi on the front of the copter, and put the FPV camera up top, and that doesn't seem to be an option with this frame.

This frame feels like it is designed first and foremost for pure FPV, and HD cameras are an afterthought. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder whether pilots who like to record HD are going to have to make some compromises.
Aug 25, 2015, 11:38 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabardwell
This frame feels like it is designed first and foremost for pure FPV, and HD cameras are an afterthought.
That is absolutely true, Joshua. The Alien frames are designed for all-out FPV racing and aerobatics. A second (recording) camera was never part of the core mission profile. Definitely a low priority add-on.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder whether pilots who like to record HD are going to have to make some compromises.
Pilots who like to shoot HD video will have to choose another frame. Or they will have to live with the compromise of sticking a GoPro on top of a pure-bred racer. Their choice.
Aug 25, 2015, 12:39 PM
Team Drone Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasan
They look decent, and the price is not too bad either.
Their Hyperion 4S 1400mAh 80c weighs 140g, the same as a Thunder Power 4S 1300mAh 75C.
That's a good weight for the Hyperion.

*edit* - Sorry i realize that the Hyperion are 40c/80cMAX - so maybe not as punchy as the TP batteries..
Except back when I got started with the micros. And the two biggest names around were Thunderpower and Hyperions. ($9 for a 1s 160 or 250mah.)

I found when I put the Thunderpower on the charger to graph it's discharge curve. It just wasn't holding good. Bought a couple of more times and gave up on them. The Hyperion on the other hand, was the best out of all the lipo cell I tested. And you can definitely feel it in flight too. I usually save it for when my thumbs are warmed up, flying with the cheaper cells. Then I pop in my Hyperion. The punch allows you to get out of trouble and thus, it was easier to fly aggressively.

Recently, when I started looking at brands for the 4s packs. I came across MSGuy's testing. Seems pretty thorough. What's funny was, he kept trying to give Thunderpower the benefit of the doubt...but his testing shows they weren't up to par versus some other manufacturers. Especially considering their price premium....which last year...they did a big hoopla saying they reduced prices across their whole line up. (It's still pricey to me.)

Another thing to think aboug. Hyperion usually has documents detailing use and care for their battery. Such as advice on breakin in and their thoughts on max C charge rate.

They also say that current lipo tech can't put out high C ratings. But if they were to follow other manufacturer's leads, and put 80c on their packs. They know they would essentially be propagating the lies. However, not doing so would put them at a competitive disadvantage when trying to sell the new lipos packs. Therefore, they are upfront with their cMax rating system. Where it's their upper burst ratings. But true C number is half of cMax. So it's good to see a top tier lipo manufacturer actually being upfront with the C ratings.

Anyways, seems like there's not too much info out there on these new packs from Hyperion. However, it's already starting to get hard to get the 4S packs. So some of us are already hording them.

My 2cents,
-Daryoon
Aug 25, 2015, 12:42 PM
Team Drone Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexamous
Dinogy makes a 4S 1300mah pack, based in stuff in this thread it should be pretty nice:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1783

Also Glacier now sells a 70C labeled lipo... which is kinda interesting:
http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-75c-1...o-battery.html

You can put any number on a label but Glacier has historaclly been fairly conservative... or maybe just slightly conservative and not at all inflated. Their their 30C lipos are pretty interchangable with 65C Nanotechs. Anyways interesting they now stuck a 70C label on a pack. I ordered a couple yesterday to try them out.
Darn you... I didn't want to let ppl know that Glacier has higher C rated lipos yet. (At least not until I get enough of them for myself ) The lipo dought is almost as bad as the water drought here in California.
Aug 25, 2015, 02:08 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgu8QS8oUZQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
That is absolutely true, Joshua. The Alien frames are designed for all-out FPV racing and aerobatics. A second (recording) camera was never part of the core mission profile. Definitely a low priority add-on.

Pilots who like to shoot HD video will have to choose another frame. Or they will have to live with the compromise of sticking a GoPro on top of a pure-bred racer. Their choice.
Oh, I dunno about that Brain. Doesn't look like much compromise going on in Glide's after work, angry flying video.

It appears the 5" flies just fine with a GoPro on top.

However, as always, YMMV.

Tinman
Aug 25, 2015, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman215
Oh, I dunno about that Brain. Doesn't look like much compromise going on in Glide's after work, angry flying video.

It appears the 5" flies just fine with a GoPro on top.

However, as always, YMMV.

Tinman
^^^ this

Same goes for the pre-production models Steele and Flits are running . The big challenge with the 5" frame was getting that 1800mah and gopro to fit with the new top plate, and with a little modification FG made it fit all snuggly.

Quick Reply