Nov 24, 2015, 04:36 PM
Extreme Superlative Hyper-Pro
That's the whole point. This post most definitely qualifies as an unfounded claim about a design flaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha beast View Post
No more PDB issues for me well I never really had an issue yet but 2 of my buddies that have the alien have had crazy issues to the point where the frame got so hot it turned the purple screws brown, I love this frame and didn't want to risk catching it on fire so I made my own CF plate and mounted my own PDB. Here are some pics of my 4" rebuild with the mod and my 5" will be next
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2015, 04:40 PM

PDB vs Carbon Plate

I like the PowerOSD and have it on 3 quads, I also would like to put it on my 4" Alien. It isn't necessary and I'm fully aware of that, but I do not use a Taranis and therefore do not have telemetry for voltage. I also do not care for simply using a timer or a balance plug voltage alarm either, my personal preference. And while I have used the voltage checker / alarm it's 7 grams which is 1-2 grams heavier than a PowerOSD. I suppose I could also use the on-board Tornado FC voltage monitoring and have my beeper go off but it's not that loud, need to figure out calibration without OSD, and at the end of the day i like an OSD even though many don't.

So if I use the Power OSD, the stock PDB becomes redundant (copper quality discussion aside) but structurally required. I have no issues with the provided PDB from a design or quality standpoint, it's very nice and weighs 16 grams.

So stock PDB + PowerOSD is heavier compared to carbon plate + Power OSD by an estimated 4-6 grams. My reasoning would not be true if someone was not determined to use PowerOSD . Is the effort to make a carbon plate worth 4-6 grams? Who knows, but I like to tinker and that's what the hobby is all about.

Other mods on my 4" that will likely get some folks worked up are switching to nylon standoffs (-5 grams), ditching the awesome camera mount and using the one that comes with camera and zip ties (-4 grams), direct solder antenna to Vtx eliminating sma connections and pigtail (-4 to 6 grams) but this is just my approach and in no way means I do not like the frame and the thought that has gone into it. And since there is no option for lighter 3 mm arms all these small changes do add up to some weight savings. I fully realize that some of my changes could affect the durability of the quad (nylon vs aluminum?) or have the camera shift angle in a crash etc...
Nov 24, 2015, 04:51 PM
Team Drone Art
I think it make sense for Soma and crew to cut a CF plate for those who wants to use their own PDB instead of the Alien version. At least it makes sense to me.
Nov 24, 2015, 04:54 PM
Extreme Superlative Hyper-Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
I think it make sense for Soma and crew to cut a CF plate for those who wants to use their own PDB instead of the Alien version. At least it makes sense to me.
I'm fine with that too. I'm just not ok with someone claiming, or even implying, that's needed to avoid a fire.
Nov 24, 2015, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
The 5 and 6 are the same as far as the slots are concerned. This mount fits both for a minimal GoPro mount, couple of versions to choose from. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1116730
Yes, basically that mount, a bit longer to fit the body of the Session, and without the tails/bolt mounts on the end is what I'd love to see. A simple wedge with a lip at the top-front and notches on the bottom to catch the slots in the HD Cam Top Plate.
Nov 24, 2015, 05:03 PM
this machine gets better daily
Bump dah Bump (2 min 23 sec)
Nov 24, 2015, 05:46 PM
Oh yes the video is starting to come now.
look at the difference a well behaved quad makes
Nov 24, 2015, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto
That's the whole point. This post most definitely qualifies as an unfounded claim about a design flaw.
OMG LMAO!!! how is this an unfounded claim about a design flaw?? ITS ACTUALLY HAPPENING hasn't happened to me but it has happened to others, There is obviously and issue somewhere and what I did was just to avoid a possible issue on my quad. I don't know about you but don't wanna watch my quad go up in smoke if I can prevent that from happening I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doluseb
People are getting way too sensitive about this topic. The guy is just stating his preference on the build. It shouldn't be his responsibility to instill doubt or confidence. It's up to the end user to make his own decision.
There's no warranty to void so and it's generally understood this is a diy hobby. So unless someone is making an unfounded claim about design flaw there should be no issue here.
THANK U!!
Nov 24, 2015, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha beast
Well in that case did you say the same to the others that have reported issues with the PDB? Did you tell them that they where casting fear to the board that works if installed correctly? If not then please do so, so I don't feel like your singling me out here. Please go back and read my posts I say nothing bad in a single post. If people can't post issues or resolutions to known issue[/COLOR]s[/COLOR] or try and help each other avoid those things what's the point of RCgroups? IMO the CF plate should be sold as an option part for those that what to run our preferred electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha beast
how do you know if I'm not? Do you know what I do for a living? Didn't think so...

Lmao man people are taking this way to seriously damn! I never blamed the PDB you guys are making it seem like I said something so horrible that it will prevent people from buying this frame when in fact I did the total opposite lmao you guys are funny, obviously the people with the issue didn't install it correctly, I would love for you to get you a cheap motor put it on your quad ( just for testing ) screw into your motor winding give it throttle and see what happens the motor windings will burn up before anything else does
Hey mate it's great your posting stuff on alternative ideas but there is no known issue as you state with the PDB. I have built rebuilt change components on all the aliens probably more than anyone and never had an issue with a PDB. So if people follow best practice with the PDB they will have no issues. I don't follow best practice with installing the PDB and still haven't had an issue!

Also regarding shorting a motor wire, the end result isn't always frying a motor i have had some strange stuff happen in the past directly related to shorting motor wires lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd1
I like the PowerOSD and have it on 3 quads, I also would like to put it on my 4" Alien. It isn't necessary and I'm fully aware of that, but I do not use a Taranis and therefore do not have telemetry for voltage. I also do not care for simply using a timer or a balance plug voltage alarm either, my personal preference. And while I have used the voltage checker / alarm it's 7 grams which is 1-2 grams heavier than a PowerOSD. I suppose I could also use the on-board Tornado FC voltage monitoring and have my beeper go off but it's not that loud, need to figure out calibration without OSD, and at the end of the day i like an OSD even though many don't.

So if I use the Power OSD, the stock PDB becomes redundant (copper quality discussion aside) but structurally required. I have no issues with the provided PDB from a design or quality standpoint, it's very nice and weighs 16 grams.

So stock PDB + PowerOSD is heavier compared to carbon plate + Power OSD by an estimated 4-6 grams. My reasoning would not be true if someone was not determined to use PowerOSD . Is the effort to make a carbon plate worth 4-6 grams? Who knows, but I like to tinker and that's what the hobby is all about.

Other mods on my 4" that will likely get some folks worked up are switching to nylon standoffs (-5 grams), ditching the awesome camera mount and using the one that comes with camera and zip ties (-4 grams), direct solder antenna to Vtx eliminating sma connections and pigtail (-4 to 6 grams) but this is just my approach and in no way means I do not like the frame and the thought that has gone into it. And since there is no option for lighter 3 mm arms all these small changes do add up to some weight savings. I fully realize that some of my changes could affect the durability of the quad (nylon vs aluminum?) or have the camera shift angle in a crash etc...
ahhhhhrrr!!!!! i was cool until you said nylon standoffs! LOL! cool mate can't wait to see end result
Nov 24, 2015, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto View Post
I'm fine with that too. I'm just not ok with someone claiming, or even implying, that's needed to avoid a fire.
never implied or claimed that its needed to avoid a fire lol man get over it already and please quit putting words in my mouth, your making yourself look silly. This frame is the best frame out there IMO I have never or will ever have a bad thing to say about it SOMA and his team did an awesome job!! this hobby is mostly DIY and people do all kinds of thing to their equipment thats what makes it so great. don't h8 on me because you don't like what I did to MY frame I'm done with this issue and you should be to like it or not its done and will be done by others have a good day Moto
Nov 24, 2015, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flits
Hey mate it's great your posting stuff on alternative ideas but there is no known issue as you state with the PDB. I have built rebuilt change components on all the aliens probably more than anyone and never had an issue with a PDB. So if people follow best practice with the PDB they will have no issues. I don't follow best practice with installing the PDB and still haven't had an issue!

Also regarding shorting a motor wire, the end result isn't always frying a motor i have had some strange stuff happen in the past directly related to shorting motor wires lol!

ahhhhhrrr!!!!! i was cool until you said nylon standoffs! LOL! cool mate can't wait to see end result
your right its not a "known issue" but it has happened and i have seen it happen with my own 2 eyes. I simply just shared what I did for my frame and someone somehow got offended by that?? Anyway the words "KNOWN ISSUE" my have been to strong, as I said above I'm moving on from this issue. TIME TO GO FLY
Nov 24, 2015, 06:05 PM
My Alien also almost caught fire due to the carbon arms digging into the bottom layer of the PDB. I did install the PDB with the wiring around the other way (dot as negative not positive). I acknowledge that if I'd used the PDB as the designer intended that there would be no problem, so it's not a design flaw.

However. Documentation on the Alien needs to be better so that fools like me understand what might happen if we solder to the PDB the other way around. I can see now that the post on the first page makes a mention of this, but what about the products own website? Or how about a simple 1 page doco sent out with each alien frame?
Nov 24, 2015, 06:08 PM
Hey all. I've built 3 aliens to far and I found that the provided black XT60 is very loose. On one of mine now it is so loose that the battery connector doesn't keep it's connection.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Nov 24, 2015, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tha beast View Post
your right its not a "known issue" but it has happened and i have seen it happen with my own 2 eyes. I simply just shared what I did for my frame and someone somehow got offended by that?? Anyway the words "KNOWN ISSUE" my have been to strong, as I said above I'm moving on from this issue. TIME TO GO FLY
Sounds great mate fly time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vent View Post
My Alien also almost caught fire due to the carbon arms digging into the bottom layer of the PDB. I did install the PDB with the wiring around the other way (dot as negative not positive). I acknowledge that if I'd used the PDB as the designer intended that there would be no problem, so it's not a design flaw.

However. Documentation on the Alien needs to be better so that fools like me understand what might happen if we solder to the PDB the other way around. I can see now that the post on the first page makes a mention of this, but what about the products own website? Or how about a simple 1 page doco sent out with each alien frame?
Bummer mate sorry hear you had problems
Thanks for the thoughts, good ideas will follow that up
Nov 24, 2015, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorgos View Post
Hey all. I've built 3 aliens to far and I found that the provided black XT60 is very loose. On one of mine now it is so loose that the battery connector doesn't keep it's connection.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Hey mate the xt60's pins close up over time you need to find something like a small screw driver to spread the pins. Just be careful not to spread them to much or you may break the pins.

Quick Reply