Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2015, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
And maybe some info of my own builds here!

If you're good.
We need stats and hard numbers on stickers
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2015, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATA250
I'm running 3S, KISS 18A, and Sunnysky 1306 3100KV.
Thanks! Will look into that
Aug 04, 2015, 12:39 PM
The Mad and the Wicked
Damn, this is a fleet changer.

Nice job as always Soma
Aug 04, 2015, 12:58 PM
Looks like I'll be selling all my Los gear just to keep up with all this great new gear
Aug 04, 2015, 01:06 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Impressive and innovative design. I love the box section design. Reminds me of what is used in some structural designs to keep 2 plates/floors/levels from failing due to shearing forces.
That'll keep the plates in their place and makes for a very strong cage structure. Brilliant!

Standoffs alone don't work too well when forces are longitudinal, along the plate, they'll bend and break off at the fasteners (in some cases they'll take a bit of CF plate material or delaminate the plate). The "X" vertical plates in the box section will effectively help prevent those types of frame damage and serves as a camera mount, so actually double-brilliant!!

Same concept as reinforcement used in walls:
Aug 04, 2015, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
That'll keep the plates in their place and makes for a very strong cage structure. Brilliant!
True! But since there is no "normal" camera plate... the standoffs have to take all the force in a lateral hit... hope you know what I mean

Not saying it's week, just saying that is the weakest part... though the LED back plate may be enough :-P
Aug 04, 2015, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
True! But since there is no "normal" camera plate... the standoffs have to take all the force in a lateral hit... hope you know what I mean

Not saying it's week, just saying that is the weakest part... though the LED back plate may be enough :-P
A lateral hit with the magnitude of a head on smack would be kinda rare I'd think, as the arms are going to be there first from that angle... not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. None of these things are bullet proof, but soma's design looks exceptionally sound to me
Aug 04, 2015, 01:38 PM
Team WarpSquad
The front of the frame is also boxed in and laterally braced by the plastic case of the camera itself. So it will help their.

But my personal opinion is, barring some alien material...there has to be a balance durabilities and flying weight too much of one will affect the other. And I personally like to have my cake and eat it too...but would error on the side of performance if I had a choice.

Glad perfectionist like Soma has already racked his brain over all this already. LOL
Aug 04, 2015, 02:30 PM
Voodoo Quads Team Pilot
Looks amazing guys. The hard work of your brain trust is really evident in this design. Id been analyzing other frames for months and considered designing my own because the current offerings all have their faults. Some more than others. This one really nails it it for me.

Will props show up in the flight cam or gopro when running the 5 inch frame with 6 inch arms? What about 4 inch frame with 5 inch props? I ask because when I look at my current builds, there is so much empty space meanin that I am carrying dead frame weight .

Will the quads be sold as 4, 5, 6 inch models as-is or can components be mixed and matched at time of order? Are pre orders limited to one or can I buy 2 or 3 three plus a few spare parts?

Again, this design looks killer.
Aug 04, 2015, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
A lateral hit with the magnitude of a head on smack would be kinda rare I'd think, as the arms are going to be there first from that angle... not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. None of these things are bullet proof, but soma's design looks exceptionally sound to me
yeah, thats why I said "I am not saying it's weak"

totally agree with you, it should be pretty unlikely Time will tell, worst case I will use one of the spare camera plates and add it behind the FC
Aug 04, 2015, 03:02 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro

aaaaah dobn't ruin my structural thesis post LoL !!!
Right, you also need lateral force reinforcement. Can't see details how box is, but it's also braced on the lateral by camera case and tilt position mechanism as Daryoon mentioned.

Also most damage I've seen in my crashes is movement front to back.

Anyway I said "will effectively help prevent those types of frame damage" not completely eliminate - my disclaimer was included in that statement
Last edited by EngineerX; Aug 04, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Aug 04, 2015, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
aaaaah dobn't ruin my structural thesis post LoL !!!
Anyway I said "will effectively help prevent those types of frame damage" not completely eliminate - my disclaimer was included in that statement
Ture Ture! I am still saying it's tough BUT :-D

the cam will do like nothing since it's in the middle so theoretically moving the top plate laterally the cam will just move parallel to the top plate and the tilt mechanism is plastic :-P

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing here... I love this frame (I think so ) I just want to point that out

TBH I am just thinking about that since I am in the verge of removing the cam plate from my BOSMH and I have never broken any standoff^^ ...and I am scared that will happen after I removed it^^
Aug 04, 2015, 03:16 PM
I also think you're all not taking into consideration the fact that the Alien has heavy metal incorporated into the design... Head banging is in its very nature

ImpulseRC is Metal (0 min 10 sec)
Aug 04, 2015, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
I also think you're all not taking into consideration the fact that the Alien has heavy metal incorporated into the design... Head banging is in its very nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQAtgq0hx7M
Saw that xD LOLed a lot already

I am not sure cutting those green slots will sacrifice more structural integrity than you gain from the red X :-P

I hope soma sees this as trying to contribute and not to bash

second spot for that would be between the standoffs...
Aug 04, 2015, 03:44 PM
Team Warpsquad
It really is a work of art along with moto's tornado. Time to order some more purple sleeving to match the hardware.