Nov 04, 2015, 09:05 AM
He is using TeamBlackSheep TBS PNP 50 which is connected between the battery and the pdb. This is also what I am using. And in my 5' alien I use the holes on the pdb to tie down the battery leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow
For those of you who have done this, are you just soldering the leads to the XT60 holes on the PDB or doing like Mr. Steele did on his video where he soldered the battery leads to the pads on the opposite side of the board and then used the XT60 holes in the PDB just to anchor the wires?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2015, 09:09 AM
Stayed up till 2am to finish it. I thought i'd be able to use pins on the naze, i wanted to try a cc3d in the future, but it wasn't happening. I had to unsolder the pins and solder the esc signal wires directly to the naze, pain in the butt. This is how i've done all my recent quads, but the alien is a wee bit taller than those and it looked like i'd have room.
It's heavy! it weighs 5 grams more than my kermit 170, the kermit is 412 grams with battery+gopro, the alien is 417 grams with battery and no gopro! 40 grams of that is just the bigger motors though.

All ready crashed it. Flipped over on takeoff because i used the dump from the kermit, which has the board the opposite direction. It flipped like a boss though.

Nov 04, 2015, 09:12 AM
Just got my LED-ring and I just want to verify connection options.

On the tornado the SLed pins are G, S, V. On the led ring I have (~) & (-).

If I want to use tornado and cleanflight for fancy colors is it enought to connect lipo directly to the +/- on the LED ring, and then just the "S" wire from the tornado to the (~)? Or do I need GND as well from the tornado? I assume the 5V from the tornado is optional for powering the LED-ring, correct?
Nov 04, 2015, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixblast
My 5" is just around 350g without the battery.
My 4 inch is 297 grams without the battery, for reference.
Nov 04, 2015, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza_eryna
Guys, i am running a Cobra 2206 2100Kv with FVT ESCs and its awesome... so much torque. I am using Gemfan 6045, on full throttle it breaks... any suggestion ? i am thinking HQ6045... but before the buy, need an insight... what is Flits using in this ?

https://youtu.be/3aOt7Fcrd3w
I had to go back several times and replay that stalled back flip through the tree, that was just craziness, well done! Just realized that is Flitz video, lol!
Last edited by moosestang; Nov 04, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
Nov 04, 2015, 09:30 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracernz
Huh? Crimping is the preferred method for high-current connections. In-fact soldering isn't typically used for wire outside of electronics, and maybe some crappy Chinese appliances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversone
+1
A good crimp job is better than a decent solder joint.
Thanks, TracerNZ and SilversOne. With apologies to Erza_eryna, I stand corrected on crimping. I understand that in residential electric wiring, everything is crimped or clamped. So that should have been a clue. But residential is 220V (or 110V) stuff, not 12V or 16V like our 3S and 4S LiPos. Maybe it's time for a PDB with crimps/clamps then?

This begs the question: Why does everybody solder everything on quads, including the connectors on LiPo batteries? If crimping was much better, why are even high-current connectors like XT90 and EC5 soldered? Similarly, why do we bother crimping servo and video cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
I do NOT recommend using an SMA right angle adapter that way. Most of these have the one end 'press fitted and it comes apart if the antenna catches some thing in a crash. I tried this once and it took me 15 minutes to find the vTX antenna.

A 5cm SMA cable is what fits in the Alien and puts the vTX directly in the center above the PDC/FC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrc1971
100% agree not using SMA right angle adapter, I have also lost an antennas because of this and they come loose after a few landings where the propwash close to the ground flips the quad over. SMA cable is the way to go fully protects the vtx
Thanks for the warning, Waltr and bmrc1971. Thank goodness I ordered a variety of SMA adapters, including right angle and several pigtails. The pigtails do make sense to avoid direct stress on the vTX PCB. I just don't like the idea of 2x 2 mating connectors adding weight. I guess a vTX with a pigtail soldered on directly, e.g. Hawkeye, would address that weight concern.

On a related note, packages from ImpulseRC (Alien 6", motors, HS1177) and Surveilzone (Aomway vTX, sundry parts) both reached my African outpost today. Hurray! So I have everything I need to build. Now to get organized and prioritize...
Nov 04, 2015, 09:45 AM
Extreme Superlative Hyper-Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronblom
Just got my LED-ring and I just want to verify connection options.

On the tornado the SLed pins are G, S, V. On the led ring I have (~) & (-).

If I want to use tornado and cleanflight for fancy colors is it enought to connect lipo directly to the +/- on the LED ring, and then just the "S" wire from the tornado to the (~)? Or do I need GND as well from the tornado? I assume the 5V from the tornado is optional for powering the LED-ring, correct?
That's correct. Go direct from the PDB with lipo + and - to the LED ring. No GND is needed from Tornado if it's already grounded to the PDB.
Nov 04, 2015, 10:27 AM
One of the leds on the LED-Ring is not working. Seems to turn on some times. I'm not using the LED connection to flight controller. Any clues ? not crashed jet
What is the part number of the LED ?
Nov 04, 2015, 10:45 AM
Destroyer of gimbals
Aliens have landed in Chile, 3 weeks after shipment!

Now, to find the time to actually build it (yeah.. who am I kidding, there'll be no sleep in my house tonight).
Nov 04, 2015, 11:12 AM
Team WarpSquad
Sick and barely kept my eyes open as I put more of the Alien 5 together late last night.

The build is too easy IMHO. I kept staring at it making sure I didn't miss something. I kept to my promise of keeping to a standard build. (At least the first time around)

Here it is, ready for the smoke test. Then I'll button up the ESC, after ensuring the motors all spin in the proper direction.

Never power up without making and using one of this:

I like to use a depleted lipo or one at storage voltage. And get ready to disconnect quickly.

Cheers,
-Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Nov 04, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Nov 04, 2015, 11:28 AM
I have been seriously considering a TBS PNP50. Thoughts? IS it worth it?
I like the voltage regulator, OSD, and most of all simplicity to power all electronics with JST plugs
Nov 04, 2015, 11:42 AM
Someone mentioned wanting to bring back the custom prop cutter a page or so back, just FYI:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...own_Props.html
Nov 04, 2015, 11:45 AM

Those RTFQ Red motors are sick, I knew I should have ordered a set of those things... Looking forward to your thoughts on there performance!
Nov 04, 2015, 11:47 AM
How did you wire up the servo to deal with the 4.2v max voltage rating? Or are you running it off the 5v regulator without issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wolf
Thanks. This is the servo I used.http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMSH2040L

Yeah I have it setup on my radio with one of the rotary dials on the side. I like the 3 position switch idea though. Might have to give that a go.
Nov 04, 2015, 12:01 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmturn0

Those RTFQ Red motors are sick, I knew I should have ordered a set of those things... Looking forward to your thoughts on there performance!
Yeah, I am curious to how they perform too. They were eerie silent and smooth running when I spooled up the KISS, versus my other builds with Cobra with LittleBee. Windings are really nicely wound.

These are actually temporary until my Xnova preorder ships.