ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames - Page 382 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 31, 2015, 09:28 PM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoctor
I know I can get it out of my Naze running PPM with a D4r-II. Just looking for a single cell reading. It works well when moving from a 3cell to 4 cell. All I have to do it land when I get around 3.5-3.4 volts.
Guess I will just go with an analog voltage divider.
I don't know how you are getting an accurate "Cell" reading without something
like the FrSky OLED Voltage display which monitors the battery Balance Plug and
sends the data out via the Smart-Port, which is NOT available on a D4RII.
If your "Cell" voltage is somehow derived from the Pack voltage it is not accurate
it must be read directly from the balance plug or it is only an approximation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracernz
Good news, the USB-DFU flashing stuff has been merged into the Configurator development branch https://github.com/cleanflight/clean...rator/pull/250. I've submitted a PR to the main cleanflight tree containing my docs (can be viewed in my branch until that merges). I notice the Tornado code has also been merged to the main Cleanflight tree so all is looking well.
I just need a PC where I can get the driver to work correctly
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2015, 09:41 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglesFPV
So... am I the first guy to break a production run alien? Can I get a medal? Here's what happened https://youtu.be/O0rJ1TmdizI She flew so great until SPLAT. Luckily I have a spare arm, but now I want a spare 5 inch alien.
Wiggles! My goodness man. I don't know about a medal for the crash, but I think you've earned a medal for that flying! Wowzer! That's good stuff.
Oct 31, 2015, 09:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
I was fed up and fluss-strated by how convoluted and mixed up all the wiring and plugging and splicing and patching I had to do between various cameras and video transmitters. None of them have lasted very long so I was constantly replacing one or the other. I am determined to find a transmitter that work harmoniously with the cam (i.e. feed good power to the cam).

I thought I was onto something when I found this 500 mW Tx. I didn't feel a need for that much output, but gosh darn it, it came with dual camera voltage out.

I was most disappointed to just now discover that the transmitter is too wide to fit between the stand-offs.

So... now what should I buy? . .. ()

p.s. anybody want two of the above-ref'd VTx's?
That looks like the same size/form factor as the ImmersionRC 600mW. No?
Oct 31, 2015, 09:58 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I don't know how you are getting an accurate "Cell" reading without something
like the FrSky OLED Voltage display which monitors the battery Balance Plug and
sends the data out via the Smart-Port, which is NOT available on a D4RII.
If your "Cell" voltage is somehow derived from the Pack voltage it is not accurate
it must be read directly from the balance plug or it is only an approximation.
(
Which was why I basically asked how is it any different than setting up the X4R? The cell voltage reading should just be an approximation based on the total pack reading, divided by the # of cell right?

You need to be able to plug into the pack's balance connector if you want a true per cell reading.

Perhaps I don't understand planedoctor's actual problem.

Pretty sick flying @WigglesFPV
Oct 31, 2015, 10:09 PM
Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
I was fed up and fluss-strated by how convoluted and mixed up all the wiring and plugging and splicing and patching I had to do between various cameras and video transmitters. None of them have lasted very long so I was constantly replacing one or the other. I am determined to find a transmitter that work harmoniously with the cam (i.e. feed good power to the cam).

I thought I was onto something when I found this 500 mW Tx. I didn't feel a need for that much output, but gosh darn it, it came with dual camera voltage out.

I was most disappointed to just now discover that the transmitter is too wide to fit between the stand-offs.

So... now what should I buy? . .. ()

p.s. anybody want two of the above-ref'd VTx's?
I have a 6v pololu dedicated to powering my Vtx and Camera. It hasn't caused a problem yet and they are not exactly heavy.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarby777
I was having the same issues and the esc's weren't syncing even though I did calibration through clean flight. Ultimately I ended up changing the motor low/mid/high position endpoints in clean flight to match my throttle range on my taranis. I also added the motor mixes that have been outlined in previous posts in cli. After all that was done I did a final esc endpoint calibration in clean flight using the motor slider bar and they sound perfect. I'm not getting any stuttering or noisy chatter. I'm new to clean flight so it has been a lot of trial and error so take any suggestions I'm giving with that in mind.
What are the motor low/mid/high positions? I can't find anything like that in clean flight?

Now one of my motors wont even spin up at all which looks like a dead esc.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong here? I flashed the ESC's to blheli 14.1 and soldered them up and then
calibrated them in cleanflight.

Where there any settings that needed changing on the esc's?

These are the dys 30 amp esc's. I know the 20 had problems, but are the 30 amp also problematic ?

I'm at a loss now except ordering some new different esc's.

Any thoughts?
Oct 31, 2015, 10:26 PM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon
~
~
Maybe he doesn't understand his own problem either
Anyway I think "Cell" is BullST (which Cell 1, 2, 3 /4 ? ? ?).
I use an OLED display, I just read the Pack voltage and set the warnings and
alarms for 11.2V and below 11.1V, on a Bixler, X6R, 3S balance plug.
An OLED display would be a waste of time on a Quad really.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Which was why I basically asked how is it any different than setting up the X4R? The cell voltage reading should just be an approximation based on the total pack reading, divided by the # of cell right?

You need to be able to plug into the pack's balance connector if you want a true per cell reading.

When I graduated to 4cell I stumbled across the "cell" field on my taranis that was reporting a approximation of the total pack reading.
This worked better for me because I could run both 3s and 4s and didn't need to do math or remember which type pack I had at the time. All I had to do was set my taranis to report low voltage alarms when I reached 3.5 volts on the "cell". I had a audible call out also.

So i wanted to keep this system on my new rig but the "cell" field is not receiving anything from the Tornado. I can get VFAS only.

Yes I know it's not exact but it worked really well for me as I ran 3s and 4s packs on the same rig.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Maybe he doesn't understand his own problem either
Anyway I think "Cell" is BullST (which Cell 1, 2, 3 /4 ? ? ?).
I use an OLED display, I just read the Pack voltage and set the warnings and
alarms for 11.2V and below 11.1V, on a Bixler, X6R, 3S balance plug.
An OLED display would be a waste of time on a Quad really.
Yes, it is just a assumption of the total pack divided by the number of cells and I know that is not exact. I don't run a OSD and I have a switch that calls out my voltage on the taranis. I also have low voltage alarms. Both of these have worked spot on for me over the past year and I could throw on a pack and fly not having to go "Oh crap this a 4s pack and I'm at 13 volts" I only had to remember the one number "don't go below 3.4 loaded" I generally for a low voltage from the Naze after I was getting warnings from the Taranis.

Just something else I didn't have to worry about.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:47 PM
Test Pilot

Battery Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoctor
When I graduated to 4cell I stumbled across the "cell" field on my taranis that was reporting a approximation of the total pack reading.
This worked better for me because I could run both 3s and 4s and didn't need to do math or remember which type pack I had at the time. All I had to do was set my taranis to report low voltage alarms when I reached 3.5 volts on the "cell". I had a audible call out also.

So i wanted to keep this system on my new rig but the "cell" field is not receiving anything from the Tornado. I can get VFAS only.

Yes I know it's not exact but it worked really well for me as I ran 3s and 4s packs on the same rig.
I have a switch set up (the one above arming) which chooses which type of pack I'm using. When I select 3s it speaks "Three", 4s position speaks "Four" and I have a 6s position that says "Six" so it says this when I power on the radio as well which is handy.
I just set the switch to the type of pack I'm flying and know that I've got the Vfas alarm set to the correct value.

I also have a three second delay on the Taranis vibrating and reading out the pack voltage if Vfas is below the set point. This lets me correlate the maneuver I'm doing with the voltage sag it's causing, if it's sagging way too low or staying in the alarm state for too long it's time to come in. Generally, if I get a consistent alarm when going above 75% throttle then it's time to come in and my pack is at exactly 3.7v/Cell when I throw it on the charger.

I can try to download this setup sometime and post the relevant parts, or just take a screenshot. I haven't plugged my Taranis in via USB yet, I did all the programming on the tx itself.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:47 PM
Team WarpSquad
Alien Autopsy - a photo journey

My 5" Alien on the build table.

Following Soma's build guide. The PDB is up first.

Soma said to ensure the smooth side of the washer is the side touching the PDB. This ensures a scratch free installation. This is what each side of the the washer looks like. Pretty obvious which side is the smooth one.

Goes on like so. Pulling the press nut in from the bottom of the PDB board.

It should look like so when completed. Very easy process and learn something new. I still don't know where I can get some, but on all my previous builds, I have been using T-nuts for the same purpose.

Next, I grabbed the XT60 with spacer already installed. Ensure the spacer is fitted all the way if you're planning on soldering the connector directly to the PDB without a extension. I like that Soma is following best practices...where you have the mating XT60 inserted. This ensures you don't overheat the pins and put it out of alignment. Make sure your soldering iron is up to the task though.

Mine looks like this once soldered.

Here's the silicone wire mod that was mentioned in the build post on the first page. I used 22awg wires, cut to about 2-3mm long. And it fits in perfectly. It helps to keep the pins from compressing...ensuring max contact with the mating XT60 pins. I do this to all my XT60s now. It maybe stiff at first...but with use, should start to friction fit perfectly.

A question I had when getting the arms installed to the frame...was which holes are the 8 longer screws and which ones for the 4 shorter screws. This picture should help.

I like how each arm meets in the center perfectly. And allow the other arms to share the load and shock of impact.

The Alien kit comes with a set of black screws too. That you can use in place of the aluminum if you want maximum strength. Here's one inserted in the cone washer.

I put doublesided tape on the flat side of the Pololu. And soldered the pins like so.

I chose to mount the Pololu on the bottom of the TornadoF3. It's oriented like this when completed.

Time for Halloween trick or treating with the kids... be back later.
Last edited by Daryoon; Oct 31, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
Oct 31, 2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the pics... I am currently building as I type this.
Oct 31, 2015, 11:20 PM
Alien Invader!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglesFPV
So... am I the first guy to break a production run alien? Can I get a medal? Here's what happened https://youtu.be/O0rJ1TmdizI She flew so great until SPLAT. Luckily I have a spare arm, but now I want a spare 5 inch alien.
Beautiful flying!
Oct 31, 2015, 11:23 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
That looks like the same size/form factor as the ImmersionRC 600mW. No?
I don't know. Should I buy one and compare?

Or more to the point - will ImmersionRC fit between the stand-offs?
Oct 31, 2015, 11:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
I am unsure how you're trying to mount the VTX EArHog. I believe the IRC600 is what Soma has in the build pictures.

So assuming you're doing a standard build, it should fit?

edit to add:
I just looked up IRC600 and they listed it as 50mm x 23mm x15mm.

While HobbyKing listed the Aomway 500 as 56mm x 27mm x 12mm.