Sep 29, 2015, 07:31 AM
lhphuccc
Hey guys,

One more thing as the date is getting nearer. Me and some local friends have been debating about the AWG rating for ESC. Since most 20A ESCs (Littlebee, ZTW18A, DYS20A .....) are shipped with 20AWG for the power input side, we are wondering if that is too little considering that the current we are pulling through the ESC is much higher than that.

I acknowledge that there is optimum cooling but still, would doing so cause any harm for the ESCs. I'm ready to strip all my 20AWG wires on my FVT20A and swap to 18AWG/16AWG for the input current.

Please advice and explain to me why all the manufacturers use 20AWG as stock ?
Thanks in advance
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2015, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
Funny you should mention that, Superview has nothing to do with 16:9.
Gopro just stretches out the 4:3 image to get the 16:9 superview format.
The same thing can be done using any camera and postprocessing.
http://www.goprofanatics.com/blog/go...iew-explained/
It isn't just ordinary stretching. It does dynamic stretching.
Sep 29, 2015, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon
So given I am a low order number ... your shipping tomorrow and I paid for overnight express ...

I could have this before weekend ?

*Insert girly giggles
Shipping Wednesday next week :P
Sep 29, 2015, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vent
Shipping Wednesday next week :P
Sep 29, 2015, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleipnir1411
Hey guys,

One more thing as the date is getting nearer. Me and some local friends have been debating about the AWG rating for ESC. Since most 20A ESCs (Littlebee, ZTW18A, DYS20A .....) are shipped with 20AWG for the power input side, we are wondering if that is too little considering that the current we are pulling through the ESC is much higher than that.

I acknowledge that there is optimum cooling but still, would doing so cause any harm for the ESCs. I'm ready to strip all my 20AWG wires on my FVT20A and swap to 18AWG/16AWG for the input current.

Please advice and explain to me why all the manufacturers use 20AWG as stock ?
Thanks in advance
The high strand silicon insulated wiring we're using is more than capable of handling 20 amps at 20AWG. If you used a piece several feet long, you'd have a voltage drop. You shouldn't be using a piece longer than a few inches so voltage drop should be negligible.

In short, there's nothign wrong with the 20awg wire as long as you're not using long lengths of it.
Sep 29, 2015, 08:06 AM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris B
It isn't just ordinary stretching. It does dynamic stretching.
Yep. Still can be done by postprocessing and any camera. Hell, it even can be done in Gopro Studio 2.0 if you want the exact same effect
People like gopro not because it can do post processing for you. Image quality is still the best in class (especially recorded in raw format - allows better flexibility)

Edit: here is a writeup on how to dynamicly stretch the 4:3 image (results are the same as with superview, but it allows more flexibility so folks shoot in raw 4:3 and then convert the footage themselves, instead of using superview):
http://abekislevitz.com/43-gopro-footage-explained/
Last edited by Phoboss; Sep 29, 2015 at 08:16 AM.
Sep 29, 2015, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
Yep. Still can be done by postprocessing and any camera. Hell, it even can be done in Gopro Studio 2.0 if you want the exact same effect
People like gopro not because it can do post processing for you. Image quality is still the best in class (especially recorded in raw format - allows better flexibility)

Edit: here is a writeup on how to dynamicly stretch the 4:3 image (results are the same as with superview, but it allows more flexibility so folks shoot in raw 4:3 and then convert the footage themselves, instead of using superview):
http://abekislevitz.com/43-gopro-footage-explained/
Yeah gopro studio does it for you and its configurable. have been doing it all the time on my gp3 before I had my gp4.
I was just saying as many people still think it's just normal full stretch
Sep 29, 2015, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
Just don't try to fly LOS with that checker prop pattern...
Uhh... This is Soma you're talking to. Have you seen what he can do LOS?
Sep 29, 2015, 08:49 AM
dx4life
I went back and checked my order... sure enough I did. I need more sleep or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Order a "spares" pack. If you crash and break a screw you're in the same boat.
I snapped two arm screws on my WQ the other week, I didn't even know they were
broken. One was sticking up I thought it had come undone until I tried to tighten it
but it just kept going around and around. You'd think they would have just fallen
off but nope
A single arm screw could spoil an afternoons worth of flying, buy spares

Soma has Plenty
Sep 29, 2015, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto
I'm shipping another ton of Tornados tomorrow. Priority Mail Express to AUS takes about a week.
Sucks these get shipped from the US to AUS then back to the US. Lots of wasted time and shipping money.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:10 AM
lhphuccc
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru
The high strand silicon insulated wiring we're using is more than capable of handling 20 amps at 20AWG. If you used a piece several feet long, you'd have a voltage drop. You shouldn't be using a piece longer than a few inches so voltage drop should be negligible.

In short, there's nothign wrong with the 20awg wire as long as you're not using long lengths of it.
Ahh that makes sense. Thanks alot buddy, my power wires for esc would be probably be 3-4cm max on all my builds, means nothing to be worried about
Sep 29, 2015, 10:26 AM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreakmore
My apologies for not keeping up better with the thread! Wanted to drop by and share some photos for those of you who don't do Facebook.
Those are a young man's arms. I'd imagined Soma as a paternal figure - a kind, gentle, hoary sage.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:41 AM
Firmware Fiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru
Sucks these get shipped from the US to AUS then back to the US. Lots of wasted time and shipping money.
Yup, sure would be nice if a couple "fell off" the plane over California on their way to AUS.
Sep 29, 2015, 10:51 AM
Looks like i might be building and flying one of these lil rockets soon. A friend is helping me get into fpv and quads. I have flown planes for about 20 years and spent the last 7 building and flying collective pitch 3d helis. I obviously have alot to learn as far as setting up the electronics goes. Seems as if some of the setup is similar to heli flybarless controllers and some of it will be new to me so i will definitely have some questions in the future. Im guessing that i can run my dx7 and spektrum dsmx sat receivers with the tornado f3. I dont need gps or any of the other fancy stuff. I just wanna fly fast. Reading through some of these pages it seems like everyone on here are nice and helpful
Sep 29, 2015, 10:52 AM
Up until this photo I was doing so good resisting!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443541742.890983.jpg
Views: 212
Size: 485.7 KB
Description:

4" ordered now too. Now how am I gonna explain this one to the boss?! Heh

Quick Reply