Feb 03, 2020, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
I assume he meant the Apex. If it broke, then Impulse has a warranty plan for it and you should have gotten all the replacements.
I'm just curious. I've seen two complaints about things not fitting right on the Apex, but unsure what problems they are having. Mine went together pretty well - same as ever other ImpulseRC frame I've ever built. The only spot where I thought there was a chance for something to not work right was installing the PEM nuts in the arms, and as long as the bolt used to cinch them into the arm was long enough to fully engage the PEM nut, it seemed pretty straightforward. I guess if they don't notice that the nuts are going in crooked, and then they cross-thread a bolt during assembly, maybe that would explain the stripped bolts complaint. If others are having a similar problem, I guess Impulse could think about pre-installing them as a lot of other frames do.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2020, 09:37 PM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfly04
My Alien Micro 3" ready and waiting on the DJI Vista unit to arrive! Building this as a challenge to myself to see how light and efficient I can get it compared to my other 3" CB-3 build. This Alien Micro frame in order to get it to work with the Vista, I had to change all the standoffs to M3 from 2.5 to give it a bit more height of 28mm instead of the 25mm standoffs that it came with. I also have on order some M2x25mm stack bolts as the M2x20 ones provided with the frame are a tad bit too short. Finally I designed a front camera mount and the rear antenna/xt30 mount.

Alien Micro 3"

-EMAX 1306b 2700kv

-HGLRC Zeus35

-TrueRC LHCP antenna

-28mm M3 standoffs
Rather than changing Hardware, drilling out carbon holes, I would have just raised the Deck on 3mm spacers
2c.
I use a very small engineers vise for the Press Nuts, they are 'press' afterall
Otherwise use a set of pliers to get them started, watch the alignment very carefully to begin with.
If you try to remove press nuts from carbon they could tear out a chunk (like pulling out a big old gnarly weed from soil)
so insert a bolt, wiggle them firmly but gently until they eventually get loose, slowly wiggle them out, put CA in the hole after.

I'll be interested to see how this A3, digital build goes

My Alien 3" has been out of commission for a few months now, the 3D printed 20x20 to 30x30 FC (KISS) adapter from BG
I bought failed miserably, it virtually crumbled in the end. So it was a total rebuild, as my motor wires ran under it
then back over it to the FC, had to de-solder everything.
But I got it going yesterday , not flown it yet.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Feb 03, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
Feb 04, 2020, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
I'm just curious. I've seen two complaints about things not fitting right on the Apex, but unsure what problems they are having. Mine went together pretty well - same as ever other ImpulseRC frame I've ever built. The only spot where I thought there was a chance for something to not work right was installing the PEM nuts in the arms, and as long as the bolt used to cinch them into the arm was long enough to fully engage the PEM nut, it seemed pretty straightforward. I guess if they don't notice that the nuts are going in crooked, and then they cross-thread a bolt during assembly, maybe that would explain the stripped bolts complaint. If others are having a similar problem, I guess Impulse could think about pre-installing them as a lot of other frames do.

Lipo pad delaminates.
Press nuts went in crooked. Broke bolts seating press nuts. Press nuts stripped out and arms were loose. I built several alien frames with press nuts never had a problem.? The apex was crap. No sense in warranty if it. I destroyed it out of frustration. Impulse quality dropped. Iím done buying their frames. Try the rotor riot hd1 frame. Beautiful well made and easy to build!
Feb 04, 2020, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyatm
Lipo pad delaminates.
Press nuts went in crooked. Broke bolts seating press nuts. Press nuts stripped out and arms were loose. I built several alien frames with press nuts never had a problem.? The apex was crap. No sense in warranty if it. I destroyed it out of frustration. Impulse quality dropped. Iím done buying their frames. Try the rotor riot hd1 frame. Beautiful well made and easy to build!
Sorry to hear things went so badly. I also had the LiPo pad de-lamination problem, but swapped it out for the Ummagrip replacement. Probably Imulse would have done that for free if i had complained, but I got loaded up on stuff during the latest sale, so didn't really mind the few bucks.

I used the same bolt for all press-nuts. Steel bolt of course, with a fat steel washer. If I had used one of the shorter steel bolts that shipped with it, the ones that only engaged the press nut half way, I could see the nuts going in crooked, and if enough torque was added to the bolt to try to fix it, probably wrecking either the nut or tearing the top thread or two off the bolt. I guess I've been doing this long enough that if I see an operation like that requiring enough torque to strip steel bolts, I back off and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I haven't flown my Apex yet. Just received the wiring harness for Kiss. Hopefully I'll get it going this weekend. Anxious to see how it compares to the Alien 4.5. All my Aliens have the 1st generation Steele PDB, the one where you can solder the battery connector directly into the PDB. That's still my favorite setup, even though it's a PITA to tweak things in the OSD layout (fortunately almost never need to). There's no chance for the battery wires to reach a prop, and i can have the battery all strapped down before powering it up. Super convenient. Trying to decide if i want to orient the kiss 4in1 as intended or as Steele does. Anybody have an feedback on this?
Feb 05, 2020, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
I know some people had problems using the standard aluminum or steel screws to try and set the nuts in the carbon, but that was because they weren't using the provided hardened steel bolt to set the nuts. When I bought the Reverb, it had a separate washer/bolt in a pouch for setting the nuts - simple.
Feb 05, 2020, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyatm
Lipo pad delaminates.
I don't understand buying a $100 frame with a lifetime warranty, finding out it has defects, and rather than getting a free replacement through the warranty program trashing the frame. This makes no sense.
Feb 05, 2020, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
I don't understand buying a $100 frame with a lifetime warranty, finding out it has defects, and rather than getting a free replacement through the warranty program trashing the frame. This makes no sense.
Yea itís a bit stupid. But life issues; divorce and work troubles. I lost my cool. It had to come out somewhere, chose that crap frame. Felt better after and used the electronics in my favorite alien frame! Up and flying like a charm, minus the awful airmode landing issue I canít sort through. No biggies though I just drop land it and it flies beautifully.
Feb 07, 2020, 07:32 PM
Quad is now complete just waiting on the Caddx unit to arrive from pre-order. The standoffs are very close together (20mm) and with the DJI FPV cam being 15mm wide along with the thickness of the 3d printed FPV mount, it was a challenge fitting it in there. I was finally able to get it dialed in and the camera now fits and once mounted will be very secure and no standoffs or props in view.

I have 28mm standoffs which are 3 mm taller than the stock 25mm M2 standoffs and didn't feel comfortable adding spacers. Also finding M2 standoffs any taller than 25mm is nearly impossible. Just many more options with M3 so i'm going down this path. It's a fun challenge, but i'm pretty much done now and can't wait to get it in the air and see what the final weight comes in at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Rather than changing Hardware, drilling out carbon holes, I would have just raised the Deck on 3mm spacers
2c.
I use a very small engineers vise for the Press Nuts, they are 'press' afterall
Otherwise use a set of pliers to get them started, watch the alignment very carefully to begin with.
If you try to remove press nuts from carbon they could tear out a chunk (like pulling out a big old gnarly weed from soil)
so insert a bolt, wiggle them firmly but gently until they eventually get loose, slowly wiggle them out, put CA in the hole after.

I'll be interested to see how this A3, digital build goes

My Alien 3" has been out of commission for a few months now, the 3D printed 20x20 to 30x30 FC (KISS) adapter from BG
I bought failed miserably, it virtually crumbled in the end. So it was a total rebuild, as my motor wires ran under it
then back over it to the FC, had to de-solder everything.
But I got it going yesterday , not flown it yet.

Quick Reply