Thread Tools
May 09, 2019, 08:38 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
Is it Quadraphonic then
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2019, 09:51 AM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Is it Quadraphonic then
... mehbeh...
May 20, 2019, 11:00 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I broke a 3" arm yesterday, and there's none (spares) in stock
So I bought a whole frame, with 3" arms, that worked
And that bloody antenna mount I had so much trouble with, busted also.
Just curious, whats the diameter of your AXII antenna. I saw on a previous post how you had it mounted. Is the hole too big or too small?
May 21, 2019, 07:09 AM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Has everyone here seen the trolling by ImpulseRC on the new Apex freestyle frame?
May 21, 2019, 07:41 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
The AXII Antenna is sold by two different companies, but it's the exact same thing as it was a collaboration between
Lumenier and Hugo from TrueRC. And contrary to what people suggested that "I should have purchased the correct
antenna to suit the printed bracket" well I did, because the specs for both versions distinctly say "16mm Diameter".
Just because one has a Bird Logo and the other has AXII Logo does not matter, they are the same item and have
exactly the same dimensions listed. 16mm diameter.

In the picture shown for the Printed Part, is an Micro Alien 3" or 4" ? and the TrueRC version, the Micro Alien has 20mm
hole centers for the frame Pillars and "Blind Freddy" could plainly see that the Antenna is only roughly a few mm narrower
than that 20mm. Why, because they also make a Micro version of the Antenna but it is only 9mm diameter and that is
clearly not the one shown in the printed part photo.

So I bought the correct Antenna that was clearly stated as the one the printed part was specifically designed for.
But ! !
There was no mention of the plug on the Antenna used with the Printed Part. (we really need to know these things ! ! ! )
There are Three commonly used antenna Plugs / versions for this antenna, SMA, U.FL and MMCX.
It turns out that the Printed Part as is was probably only designed for the U.FL type connector as the cable hole is small.
And to make things worse I had to use an 90į Deg MMCX variety (AXII) on my rig for it to all fit correctly.
So I had to drill out the hole, quite a bit for the MMCX to go through the hole around a bend to exit the back. No Biggy ! !

I mainly had trouble because the Cup in the Printed Part was about 1mm too tight to take the 16mm antenna.
Mine split, so I chopped the bloody thing Off, simple
Why ?, who knows, was it printed wrong, wrong material used, was it drawn too small, I don't really care at this stage.

Thank you anyway Dunurwin for putting it on the Thingverse website as it is the exact style I wanted where none of
the other designs were at all what I was looking for.

So will it work for You ?, I can't say, I don't do 3D printing.
But remember there is more than one size AXII and a few different attachment connectors, so be aware.

I lost my Micro Alien 3", I went too high LOS and it completely vanished, three of us completely lost sight of it and
the wind carried it off into the sunset And it wasn't that high up 400ft or way less, we could all hear it, couldn't
see it, as the sound got fainter and fainter. I had Telemetry, just, RSSI 48 but just as I started to get close, flat battery ! !
Three days of looking and hours of scanning paddocks with a Phantom and camera then watching the Videos
to see if I had captured it somehow, nothing and more nothing. Sadness

So I actually ordered Another 3D Printed Antenna Mount replacement, same online mob, same material as the last one.
But this time I have a plan, and I will be chopping the antenna Cup Off just like the last one as I quite liked it that way.

Then this morning I got a phone call, Farmer found my A3" in his paddock 750m away from take off point
Sorry for the long post, not really.

Sorry DunurwinFPV, I just noticed it was you who posed that question,
Mine split because the Cup was too small for my AXII which is 16mm diameter, it needed to be at least
say 0.5mm wider 1.0mm would have been better. As I said I'm no 3D print expert so I'm not sure why
it was like that. But I think they could have used different material that didn't split so readily as well.
Look, I'm happy with my MOD so I'll stick with that for the moment, thanks again.
Last edited by Too Many Toys; May 21, 2019 at 07:50 AM.
May 21, 2019, 02:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
Has everyone here seen the trolling by ImpulseRC on the new Apex freestyle frame?
I don't recall ever seeing ImpulseRC troll anybody. Do you have a link?

Edit: Perhaps you meant "trolling" as in dragging around a net to catch stuff, as opposed to the usual internet usage of "trolling" as in trash-talking other people. I've never known ImpulseRC folks to beat up on other folks.
Last edited by jones007; May 21, 2019 at 03:36 PM.
May 21, 2019, 02:22 PM
Registered User
I quick Google search brought up this:

ImpulseRC Apex | New Frame Prototype Flight Footage (2 min 16 sec)

APEX IS COMING!! - Impulse RC Prototype testing - (2 min 40 sec)


As usual - hiding all the interesting bits. ;-) Can't wait to see it. Maybe this is what happened to the rumored Helix V2.0.
May 21, 2019, 05:42 PM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
As usual - hiding all the interesting bits. ;-) Can't wait to see it. Maybe this is what happened to the rumored Helix V2.0.
Thatís what I meant. They troll their users in a friendly way. Itís to be expected.
May 21, 2019, 07:37 PM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Too Many Toys's Avatar
They do like to tease us..... A Lot.
And Strepo isn't much better ~
Secret Prototype (0 min 24 sec)

What I'd give to see a Quokka jump out in front of him on that Bike
May 21, 2019, 08:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
They do like to tease us..... A Lot.
And Strepo isn't much better ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7kqbgUk72M
What I'd give to see a Quokka jump out in front of him on that Bike
I was gonna say - that was about the worst tune I had ever seen, but not bad for hand-held on a bike. ;-)
May 21, 2019, 08:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
Thatís what I meant. They troll their users in a friendly way. Itís to be expected.
Bet they won't let FinalGlide spill the beans again this time. ;-)
May 22, 2019, 12:33 PM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
Bet they won't let FinalGlide spill the beans again this time. ;-)
I'm pretty sure he's out of FPV, at least for a while. He's no longer with RR, and I haven't seen him posting anywhere recently.
May 22, 2019, 01:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
I'm pretty sure he's out of FPV, at least for a while. He's no longer with RR, and I haven't seen him posting anywhere recently.
Yeah - he posted a video a few months ago, but not much activity for the last year or so. I miss his posts and his influence on the hobby. Not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about his departure, but in general t makes me sad when politics and egos chase good people away from the hobby.
May 22, 2019, 04:02 PM
Registered User
Strepto42's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
I was gonna say - that was about the worst tune I had ever seen, but not bad for hand-held on a bike. ;-)
Hahaha

Yeah that session 5 stabilisation isn't worth a damn, didn't have the Hero7 yet at that stage...

Impulse are doing their usual with the Apex. I don't fly enough to warrant being a tester any more so I don't have one, but will probably get one when they come out. It will be a nice piece of kit.

There is no Helix 2.0 as far as I know. Upgraded Helix 1 electronics are pretty much done but as people have noted the investment required for an economical run of electronics is quite high, so until there is a definitive, reasonably high demand for it, it wouldn't be something I'd hold my breath for. I'm sad about this too but understand the reasoning why. You can thank the race-to-the-bottom-price crowd basically, most people aren't prepared to pay realistic money for things like electronics in this hobby. I'll give Sean a poke next time I see him, I did suggest crowdfunding at one stage, a la the Fatshark Terminators.

As for Chad, yes he's pretty much out and getting on with life in the commercial drone sector (RPAS training, etc). The community got way too toxic for both of us really, I hardly fly these days too (and I fly miniquads more than he does nowadays). I get him out for a fly every now and then.
May 23, 2019, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
Hahaha

Yeah that session 5 stabilisation isn't worth a damn, didn't have the Hero7 yet at that stage...
The Hero 7 does a pretty awesome job at handheld stuff. I use it snorkeling, and it even smoothes out most of my flailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
Impulse are doing their usual with the Apex. I don't fly enough to warrant being a tester any more so I don't have one, but will probably get one when they come out. It will be a nice piece of kit.
Yup - my addiction to Impulse products will force me to buy one as well. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
There is no Helix 2.0 as far as I know. Upgraded Helix 1 electronics are pretty much done but as people have noted the investment required for an economical run of electronics is quite high, so until there is a definitive, reasonably high demand for it, it wouldn't be something I'd hold my breath for. I'm sad about this too but understand the reasoning why. You can thank the race-to-the-bottom-price crowd basically, most people aren't prepared to pay realistic money for things like electronics in this hobby. I'll give Sean a poke next time I see him, I did suggest crowdfunding at one stage, a la the Fatshark Terminators.
So glad I spent the effort converting mine to Wolf/Kiss gear. That thing is so fun to fly. One of my favorite quads. I'm tempted to make another quad to get a Session back on it. Now it's bare bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strepto42
As for Chad, yes he's pretty much out and getting on with life in the commercial drone sector (RPAS training, etc). The community got way too toxic for both of us really, I hardly fly these days too (and I fly miniquads more than he does nowadays). I get him out for a fly every now and then.
Make sure he knows that many of us miss his input here.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools