Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 08, 2019, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
That site is sick, very fortunate that you're near to it. What's a COA and UXO?
A COA is an agreement with the FAA allowing us to operate there. It's in the National Airspace and actually on the landing path to the local airport. For work stuff we have to have the COA. For the recreational stuff we don't need the COA, but I wouldn't be able to get to the property without the work connection. The FBI and Police use the site for training on clearing buildings and such.

UXO is un-exploded ordinance. It's in an old Army base that was closed about 25 years ago. Much of the land is still off limits due to hazards associated with potential mortar shells and other debris. They try to do prescribed burns every year in an effort to clear more of the property. I think the fire sets off some of the riskier UXO, and then with all the Poison Oak and other scrub burned away, professionals can get in and clear the rest. Most of the rest of the base is now BLM land with good mountain biking, and the rest is getting absorbed into urban sprawl. There were some good FPV spots, but most of those are now fenced off or replaced by new housing developments.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2019, 06:00 PM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Quote:
While I don't have a micro alien, I do have a small 3in frame with the KISS CC in it. I just saw the AKK Infinite DVR VTX on RDQ last night for $24 and that seems like a pretty neat option for me. My little 3in isn't an HD rig, it's just a fun-flyer, but this AKK VTX has an SD card-slot and should record a higher quality DVR file than goggles. Anyway, I bought one and plan to put it on as soon as it arrives - I'll let you know how it goes.
Looks good on paper, and just after I bought a KISS CC last night .
Not sure how long the VTX would last @ 1000mW with no heatsink, it could get a tad warm if set that high.
But let us know how well it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007
~
~
~
UXO is un-exploded ordinance. It's in an old Army base that was closed about 25 years ago. Much of the land is still off limits due to hazards associated with potential mortar shells and other debris.
~
~
Who needs Turtle Mode anyway

Sean is a clever chap, maybe he will come up with some 20x20 electronics in the future
Feb 08, 2019, 08:46 PM
Quote:
What if you put the cap at the XT60 location rather than right on the ESC?
I had to do that in the end. Seems to work ok, but the xt30 looks ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Sean is a clever chap, maybe he will come up with some 20x20 electronics in the future
Maybe if we clone him a few times... I wouldn't hold your breath there for now
Feb 10, 2019, 07:25 AM

HT Screws

Since the original colored aluminium screws are discontinued unfortunately, I got myself some packs of the new HT steel ones. Those are nice screws but boy, are they heavy! For a complete build (including motors) they give me 15g (!) of extra weight compared to the aluminium ones.

Well, they should add more strength but the extra weight clearly hurts. Anyone out there already using them and can give an opinion if they are worth it?

The pictures attached each show a complete set consisting of:

- 4x M3x6 for the top plate
- 8x M3x6 for the bottom plate
- 8x M3x6 for the motors (two on each motor)
- 8x M3x10 for the arms / center plate
- 4x M3x10 for the GoPro mount / top plate
Feb 11, 2019, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raumagent
Since the original colored aluminium screws are discontinued unfortunately
Yeah... Why actually???

They are lighter, looked super cool and made the Alien different from the rest. Unique selling point... Why give that up?
Feb 11, 2019, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointy71
Yeah... Why actually???

They are lighter, looked super cool and made the Alien different from the rest. Unique selling point... Why give that up?
Don't understand this either. I loved them.

Saved a considerable amount of weight and was a great way of customising the alien. I think they had a problem with the supplier. Must have been a big one since they are gone for good now.

I really hope this is something they can bring back. The alu screws were not cheap but I was willing to pay a premium.

Buying them from the states is a pain for us here in AU. It defeats the purpose of having ImpulseRC as a local one stop shop. Buying the frame from them and the HW somewhere else.
Last edited by SirVenom; Feb 11, 2019 at 09:55 PM.
Feb 11, 2019, 10:08 PM
Anyone have a spot they wished they had more time to fly? That’s how I felt here. ImpulseRC and KISS make it happen!

Mountain Retreat | ImpulseRC | KISS V2 (3 min 8 sec)
Feb 12, 2019, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVenom
Don't understand this either. I loved them.
A few possible reasons, Long manufacturer lead times, particularly if you run out of one single item that
could hold up an entire build waiting for it. Expensive to buy and hold in stock. And they can and do break,
stretch, bend or strip if treated harshly ( Quad fliers are very careful and would never mistreat anything )
Once you go below about 3mm the durability suffers even more. Hex heads, caps can strip readily.
Steel screws are available anywhere and at a moments notice in any quantity almost worldwide.
And the total weight difference saved may override all of the above factors in the end.

But they did look cool
Feb 13, 2019, 07:33 PM

New Stuff

I have a couple of Alien 6" but decided to try a 3" for fun, and but it's truning into quite
an ordeal. Not having kept up with recent developments for a year or more, sort of puts you
behind-the-eight-ball. In the last two weeks I have collected nearly 3.5Gb of data sheets, Manuals
instructions, pdf files and saved a hundred web pages and a hand full of YouTube videos, Android
Apps and tons of other setup / config stuff.
This is just to keep up with what I need now to get a Micro quad up and running reasonably well.
Then there's the hardware, 20x20 WTH !, AIO ?, Camera 19mm or <, Split or not, OSD, VTX, tiny
motors and props, micro sized RC receivers you can hardly even see without magnification, keychain
config tools, the list goes on. Then theres the software, everything I've ever used is out of
date and needs upgrading and all of the hardware will probably need the latest firmware flashed.
Then there's the Radio (X9D+) and about a dozen new LUA scripts if you want, F-Port WTH is that ?
does A1 / A2 even exist anymore ( Ahhhh ! !, the good old days, all you needed was two resistors )
It seens everything is changed on a-single-wire these days. But will it all work when plugged in ?
Good Grief Charley Brown ! !
And I sort of know what I'm doing, well sometimes.
I'd hate to be a newbie starting from scratch, "My First Quad" how do I make it GO, Dad ? ?

Anyway I'm getting there, it won't be tomorrow though.
Feb 13, 2019, 08:30 PM

New Stuff

Stupid server !, Deleted
Feb 14, 2019, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Yeah... Why actually???

I think cost competitiveness. They were lighter but were the reason why the original alien was over $100. Since that time the market price for a premium frame has become settled at the ~$70 mark so the hardware was changed to allow that to happen on the alien. As far as I know.
Feb 14, 2019, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmattbo
I think cost competitiveness. They were lighter but were the reason why the original alien was over $100. Since that time the market price for a premium frame has become settled at the ~$70 mark so the hardware was changed to allow that to happen on the alien. As far as I know.
Maybe but not everyone is on a budget. If you give the choice I think the majority would opt for the purple hardware. Especially if you call the other one the "budget" version. Brrr
Feb 14, 2019, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Maybe but not everyone is on a budget. If you give the choice I think the majority would opt for the purple hardware. Especially if you call the other one the "budget" version. Brrr
Not if it costs an extra $30 or so. That being said, if you're not on a budget, then I'm sure you can source some on your own, right?
Feb 14, 2019, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I have a couple of Alien 6" but decided to try a 3" for fun, and but it's truning into quite
an ordeal. Not having kept up with recent developments for a year or more, sort of puts you
behind-the-eight-ball. In the last two weeks I have collected nearly 3.5Gb of data sheets, Manuals
instructions, pdf files and saved a hundred web pages and a hand full of YouTube videos, Android
Apps and tons of other setup / config stuff.
This is just to keep up with what I need now to get a Micro quad up and running reasonably well.
Then there's the hardware, 20x20 WTH !, AIO ?, Camera 19mm or <, Split or not, OSD, VTX, tiny
motors and props, micro sized RC receivers you can hardly even see without magnification, keychain
config tools, the list goes on. Then theres the software, everything I've ever used is out of
date and needs upgrading and all of the hardware will probably need the latest firmware flashed.
Then there's the Radio (X9D+) and about a dozen new LUA scripts if you want, F-Port WTH is that ?
does A1 / A2 even exist anymore ( Ahhhh ! !, the good old days, all you needed was two resistors )
It seens everything is changed on a-single-wire these days. But will it all work when plugged in ?
Good Grief Charley Brown ! !
And I sort of know what I'm doing, well sometimes.
I'd hate to be a newbie starting from scratch, "My First Quad" how do I make it GO, Dad ? ?

Anyway I'm getting there, it won't be tomorrow though.
You're overthinking this. If you can solder motors onto tiny ESC pads and connect small gauge wire to tiny pads on an FC, you're golden. The firmware that comes loaded onto the boards is excellent, and doesn't require updating unless you just want to stay current with the latest or you actually have a hardware issue that you think is being caused by a fw update. My guess is that if you're being this meticulous about your research, you're probably as meticulous about your builds - you should have no problem laying out a 3in Alien. Feel free to post questions here, there are lots of people who are helpful here.

Compared to something like this (https://rotorbuilds.com/build/15565), the micro Alien has gobs of room.
Feb 14, 2019, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Not if it costs an extra $30 or so. That being said, if you're not on a budget, then I'm sure you can source some on your own, right?
I've been buying my own alloy bolts for a long time, mainly cause I wanted other colors. I have multiple copies of the same build, and I just use different hardware and TPU colors to distinguish them. Fastener Express has most sizes you'll need. Expensive if you buy just enough for a quad, but more affordable if you just bite the bullet and buy in bulk. No gold though.

Quick Reply