Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 13, 2018, 03:26 PM
Anyone know of a US based retailer for mercury. RR does not seem to carry. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 04:59 PM

ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalataki
Anyone know of a US based retailer for mercury. RR does not seem to carry. Thanks.

Interested in a used one?
Mar 13, 2018, 07:51 PM
@ImpulseRC
have you guys made, or are you thinking about making a revised 'K-Plate' for the alien to better accommodate the newer styles of FPV cameras I.E. the predator and other mini cameras. If I missed it in a previous thread sorry. But I am really hoping they come out with a version similar to the reveb for the alien so that you can more positively mount the predator and other newer FPV camera .

Thanks in advance. Keep kickin a$$
Mar 14, 2018, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
Soooooo... I'm just going to throw this one out there, but if there was to be a drop deck Alien what micro cameras are most important to you?!
Quote:
We also have now settled on 22mm standoffs for the exact reason of getting full tilt range on a Micro Eagle. We are also going to have some custom camera plates and printed parts to mount the camera. It will be available as an upgrade kit or as part of a new frame too.

One huge reason people still use 5" and 6" bodies on an Alien is in longer range cruiser builds. Generally you want a GoPro, larger battery and also to fit stuff like GPS and long range antennas while still getting good separation between parts for better RF performance.
@Bfasty
Mar 15, 2018, 03:03 AM
Warpsquid
There is still a little bit more work to do on the drop deck Alien, but it's coming along. Just actually sent a few samples to Mr Steele to check out. Just trying to make sure we can support the cameras we need and get them positioned nicely in the frame
Mar 15, 2018, 08:01 AM
Question for y’all about the Steele PDB...

I’m getting no FPV video, but my OSD is still working fine. When I connect the camera wire directly to my VTX, I get clear video but (obviously) no OSD. My camera power is still running through the PDB and it tests consistenly at 4.94v ... which should be good for a Unify Pro V3.

I can’t see any visible signs of damage to the PDB, so I’m kind of at a loss.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, could you fix it? I already ordered a replacement direct from Impulse .... just wondering if this old one can be salvaged.

Thanks in advance!

edit: just to clarify, it was working great until I started getting momentary dropouts. Made me scared to fly the thing. Now, video-in is totally black.
Last edited by KapnKeg; Mar 15, 2018 at 08:09 AM.
Mar 15, 2018, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapnKeg
Question for yíall about the Steele PDB...

Iím getting no FPV video, but my OSD is still working fine. When I connect the camera wire directly to my VTX, I get clear video but (obviously) no OSD. My camera power is still running through the PDB and it tests consistenly at 4.94v ... which should be good for a Unify Pro V3.

I canít see any visible signs of damage to the PDB, so Iím kind of at a loss.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, could you fix it? I already ordered a replacement direct from Impulse .... just wondering if this old one can be salvaged.

Thanks in advance!

edit: just to clarify, it was working great until I started getting momentary dropouts. Made me scared to fly the thing. Now, video-in is totally black.
Getting your OSD into your goggles/monitor means your VTX and the OSD portion of the PDB are working fine. If you were getting no OSD and a black screen, it would indicate your VTX is fine and the OSD was not working. The fact that you can get a camera image when connected directly to your VTX says that there is, indeed, something wrong with the Vin pad on the PDB. Before you throw it away, I would start a help ticket (if you haven't already) with ImpulseRC or whoever you ordered through.
Mar 15, 2018, 08:37 AM
Quote:
There is still a little bit more work to do on the drop deck Alien, but it's coming along. Just actually sent a few samples to Mr Steele to check out. Just trying to make sure we can support the cameras we need and get them positioned nicely in the frame
I would love a new camera bracket for the 4" that fits micro cameras. The since the 4" camera mount only attaches to the bottom plate it will allow much shorter standoffs connecting the top plate if a micro camera is used. That will get the CG closer to the prop line.
Mar 15, 2018, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
The fact that you can get a camera image when connected directly to your VTX says that there is, indeed, something wrong with the Vin pad on the PDB. Before you throw it away, I would start a help ticket (if you haven't already) with ImpulseRC or whoever you ordered through.
My thoughts exactly, the problem has to be somewhere on the PDB. Seeing as it worked great for months though, Iím not sure that I feel comfortable claiming that I was sold a defective product.

I bought it through RR, but maybe Iíll file a claim with Impulse just to ask for advice. Their customer service (in my experience) is awesome! My Reverb kit was short 1 stand-off, so they sent me an entire new hardware pack and a hat to make it right. You wonít get that from Banggood! (I woulda been happy with the 1 standoff and a battery-strap!)
Mar 15, 2018, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapnKeg
Question for yíall about the Steele PDB...

Iím getting no FPV video, but my OSD is still working fine. When I connect the camera wire directly to my VTX, I get clear video but (obviously) no OSD. My camera power is still running through the PDB and it tests consistenly at 4.94v ... which should be good for a Unify Pro V3.

I canít see any visible signs of damage to the PDB, so Iím kind of at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

That voltage, 4.93V is actually a little low. Try putting a 10V 470uf cap on the 5V output of the Steele /Kiss PDB. Might just fix you right up. Have you gotten the whole screen filled with props logos before? This was a for sure sign that the cap was needed. Good luck
Mar 15, 2018, 09:11 PM
four two
Quote:
Are the Foxeer Mini Style Cams on that list?
Mar 15, 2018, 09:39 PM
Wrong thread
Last edited by Dttocs; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:36 PM.
Mar 15, 2018, 11:26 PM
Helplessly addicted to FPV
Still rocking the original Alien more than the Reverb. I can't wait to see the "drop deck" Alien!
No Practice - No Progression (4 min 14 sec)
Mar 18, 2018, 07:19 PM
Is this the place to ask questions about the Steele /Kiss PDB or is there a thread I've missed?

Also do you guy's enlarge the holes on the K brackets so the nubs of the case of the Run Cam Swift 2 (RR edition) fit throw the holes?

Thanks...Tom
Mar 19, 2018, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th67ss
Is this the place to ask questions about the Steele /Kiss PDB or is there a thread I've missed?

Also do you guy's enlarge the holes on the K brackets so the nubs of the case of the Run Cam Swift 2 (RR edition) fit throw the holes?

Thanks...Tom
There isn't a dedicated thread for it, so either ask here or on the KISS OSD thread.

I've never had to enlarge K-bracket holes on an alien - they're huge. If anything, I've had to use a washer under the screw to make it have some purchase on the k-bracket.

Quick Reply