ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames - Page 1185 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 07, 2018, 03:04 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
To be 100% clear, that 12g figure does not include the 16 motor screws or 4 M5 nylocks, so it would actually be a fair bit more in reality. Those are not provided in the steel hardware kits and make up quite a bit of the weight and price also.

(snip)
Thanks for clarifying, that was some really nice insights actually!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 03:11 AM
Registered User
Bit of slow 7" Alien action
EIGHT MINUTES (8 min 5 sec)
Feb 11, 2018, 09:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDj
Deja Vu anyone?

J
Have you divided on the other parts yet.
Feb 11, 2018, 09:22 AM
Registered User
SpeeDj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafu02
Have you divided on the other parts yet.
Definitely going with the armattan oomph Titans, I like the prop mounting system. They say they should be in stock next week hopefully. At that point I may just order the 32a kiss, still finding that price hard to swallow. Might order a wraith to test out telemetry, if I go kiss it will be a couple more weeks to save up the spending money lol. Problem with going kiss is I know the next thing I'll end up doing is ordering the v2 FC at that point. Does it ever end?

J
Feb 11, 2018, 03:14 PM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDj
Does it ever end?


Nope
Feb 12, 2018, 10:52 AM
Registered User
ronnw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDj
Definitely going with the armattan oomph Titans, I like the prop mounting system. They say they should be in stock next week hopefully. At that point I may just order the 32a kiss, still finding that price hard to swallow. Might order a wraith to test out telemetry, if I go kiss it will be a couple more weeks to save up the spending money lol. Problem with going kiss is I know the next thing I'll end up doing is ordering the v2 FC at that point. Does it ever end?

J
I made the decision a little over two years ago that I was going to just stick with one FC system and not be trying them all out, trying to get the newest this, the newest that. I decided on Kiss and haven't looked at anything Betaflight since. I find it much easier, much less confusing, cheaper and I know my FC system inside and out. Plus Kiss stuff doesn't get out dated like most Betaflight stuff. Not everything Betaflight but a lot of it. For example, there's been three iterations of BlHeli ESCs since the Kiss 24As came out... Do you know anyone that flies Betaflight that is still flying a FC and ESCs from over two years ago, not many I bet. I still have and fly my first set of Kiss 24As with the green LEDs, among others now lol, and the original Kiss FC I bought with them in January 2016! I really don't understand why everyone doesn't use Kiss components honestly.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:47 PM
Registered User
SpeeDj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw
I made the decision a little over two years ago that I was going to just stick with one FC system and not be trying them all out, trying to get the newest this, the newest that. I decided on Kiss and haven't looked at anything Betaflight since. I find it much easier, much less confusing, cheaper and I know my FC system inside and out. Plus Kiss stuff doesn't get out dated like most Betaflight stuff. Not everything Betaflight but a lot of it. For example, there's been three iterations of BlHeli ESCs since the Kiss 24As came out... Do you know anyone that flies Betaflight that is still flying a FC and ESCs from over two years ago, not many I bet. I still have and fly my first set of Kiss 24As with the green LEDs, among others now lol, and the original Kiss FC I bought with them in January 2016! I really don't understand why everyone doesn't use Kiss components honestly.
This speaks volumes to me Ronn, I think this is the way I'm leaning more and more. I feel very susceptible to shiny things in terms of betaflight I think I've gotten caught up in the open source/tons of features aspect of it, without ever understanding why I'm so drawn to it. I think if in the long run I can run a Kiss setup for the duration maybe that's the route I really need to go, I've got a ZMR with a F1 MRM, a rotor x Atom with a F3 rotorgeek FC, a Bolt BlackOPS with F4 DYS and now building these Aliens. I feel like this is a bit of a Ah ha moment. Oh and a TBS Discovery which I've swapped out a F3 for a full DJI setup.

I just want no muss no fuss so I can spend my time flying and learning as opposed to keeping up with the Jones' at this point.

J

EDIT: Forgot a tinywhoop or 3 with F3's.
Last edited by SpeeDj; Feb 12, 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Feb 12, 2018, 01:29 PM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw
I made the decision a little over two years ago that I was going to just stick with one FC system and not be trying them all out, trying to get the newest this, the newest that. I decided on Kiss and haven't looked at anything Betaflight since. I find it much easier, much less confusing, cheaper and I know my FC system inside and out. Plus Kiss stuff doesn't get out dated like most Betaflight stuff. Not everything Betaflight but a lot of it. For example, there's been three iterations of BlHeli ESCs since the Kiss 24As came out... Do you know anyone that flies Betaflight that is still flying a FC and ESCs from over two years ago, not many I bet. I still have and fly my first set of Kiss 24As with the green LEDs, among others now lol, and the original Kiss FC I bought with them in January 2016! I really don't understand why everyone doesn't use Kiss components honestly.
I can respect and even appreciate this point of view. Of the quads I have (have had), the KISS setups have been the most robust. I've never had a dead KISS ESC or FC on my Alien (I reserve the right to comment this out if my previously documented issues turn out to be FC related), and that hardware is over a year old (I'll withold my verdict on my CC, it's too new to me). I've toasted a few BLHeli ESC's, and a few BF boards. In my mind, it's a bit like Apple vs Android. KISS controls both the hardware and the software and packages it. Betaflight is software only and allows anybody to build hardware that uses it. This leads to higher prices for KISS hardware, but as many Apple owners will attest, it just works (Just look at the KISS FC thread at how many issues PC users have trying to flash fw vs the number of Mac users flashing fw) . Betaflight is less expensive, and as an open-source project its potential for meaningful growth has a distinct advantage because really smart people can make contributions immediately. What you don't pay for in price, you pay for in "potential" reliability.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever build an Alien that isn't KISS'd. I'm going to build a BF Reverb because I have a Mercury stack sitting that needs a home. If that stack craps out (low chance since ImpulseRC made it) or the BLHeli_32 esc's fail on me, I may go straight KISS just because I trust it. I will say that I like the BF environment better. There's a part of me that really likes the available options that I can pick and choose from. Regardless, it's an exciting time to be in this hobby - I'm glad it found me!
Feb 13, 2018, 04:00 AM
Registered User
raumagent's Avatar
Hey guys! After a long break, I'm finally getting back to finish my Betaflight Alien. Currently I'm about to connect my Mercury PDB to my Matek F405-OSD FC and wonder if I can somehow use the "Lipo Sense" pin of the Mercury PDB to get a voltage reading in Betaflight? I measured 1V on the pin and am not sure if I need to set / scale something in Betaflight to get a correct voltage reading from it or if this is not possible and I have to use one of the main lipo pads instead?

Please see the attached connection diagram, the blue line is the one in question. Thanks in advance for any input!
Feb 15, 2018, 03:42 AM
Registered User
SpeeDj's Avatar
Well I ordered two sets of 32A Kiss ESCs from ReadymadeRC the other day, they had a set of 4 for 115$ a piece, not great, but not horrid either. Still waiting on Armattan to get restocked on the Titans. Good thing it's mid winter and I'm not in any hurry

J
Feb 15, 2018, 03:53 AM
Warpsquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raumagent
Hey guys! After a long break, I'm finally getting back to finish my Betaflight Alien. Currently I'm about to connect my Mercury PDB to my Matek F405-OSD FC and wonder if I can somehow use the "Lipo Sense" pin of the Mercury PDB to get a voltage reading in Betaflight? I measured 1V on the pin and am not sure if I need to set / scale something in Betaflight to get a correct voltage reading from it or if this is not possible and I have to use one of the main lipo pads instead?

Please see the attached connection diagram, the blue line is the one in question. Thanks in advance for any input!
I think you actually need to supply direct Lipo voltage there would be my guess. The current sensor will work fine the way you have it there, but on the Mercury PDB the voltage is already scaled to the 3.3V STM32 ADC input at that point.
Feb 15, 2018, 06:01 AM
Registered User
raumagent's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
I think you actually need to supply direct Lipo voltage there would be my guess. The current sensor will work fine the way you have it there, but on the Mercury PDB the voltage is already scaled to the 3.3V STM32 ADC input at that point.
Thanks for the heads up! Will do it this way.
Feb 16, 2018, 12:50 PM
Registered User
SpeeDj's Avatar
Hey Guys,

Looking for some motor advice, these Titan's came in stock just long enough to go out of stock, I can't see waiting for these for forever and then what happens should I need to order a replacement. Any thoughts on the PyroDrone HyperLite 2405-2522 Team Edition? Thinking this would be a good motor or maybe the Returners? Any thoughts? Thanks!

J
Feb 16, 2018, 01:09 PM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
I'm personally banking on a large stator and mid-level KV motor being great for freestyle on 5in. So a 230X sized motor with a 2300-2500kV motor is what I would look for were I in your shoes. If you want speed, you don't need large stators - just look at Thomas from team BMSWeb. He was smoking people on 2206-2600kV motors for a loooong time. If you want low-end grunt, then larger stators (or larger props) on 5in should be the right torque band.

Hypetrains, T-Motor, Brother Hobby, PiroFlip...take your pick, head over to miniquad testbench to compare, and buy which one you like most.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools