Sep 22, 2017, 08:44 AM
Steez FPV
if the new frame could use the steele pdb i think it would do pretty well. but if it cant then i see no benefit over my 574g AUW with tpu mount and gopro and 1400mah lipos. my Alien is a 4.5" with 25mm standoffs, a micro swift, and a tbs crossfire micro v2. i don't even have a need for the split main plate design so I'd rather use the alien and have the body the same height all the way across.

but im really happy impulserc is progressing and pumping out new designs.

i hope after this they make some upgrades for the alien, things like....

- 2mm 4" bottom plate
- locking 4" cam mount
- locking 4" cam mount for micro swift @ 25mm standoffs
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 09:38 AM
FPV Surfer
Do you guys get that strange rhythmical clicking sound transmitted over VTX when SmartAudio is connected on the Steel PDB? Very strange. Are you actually hearing SmartAudio commands sent to the VTX?
Last edited by aerosurfer; Sep 22, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 10:52 AM
Team Warpsquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238
if the new frame could use the steele pdb i think it would do pretty well. but if it cant then i see no benefit over my 574g AUW with tpu mount and gopro and 1400mah lipos. my Alien is a 4.5" with 25mm standoffs, a micro swift, and a tbs crossfire micro v2. i don't even have a need for the split main plate design so I'd rather use the alien and have the body the same height all the way across.

but im really happy impulserc is progressing and pumping out new designs.

i hope after this they make some upgrades for the alien, things like....

- 2mm 4" bottom plate
- locking 4" cam mount
- locking 4" cam mount for micro swift @ 25mm standoffs
The "Sean" PDB (I refuse to call it any other way) will not fit. There is too much that I wanted to change in the Alien center section to improve it and save weight to even think about making it compatible. If weight is a concern for you like you keep saying then you could modify this new design the way you have the Alien and save even more weight "and" make things stiffer. We have some ideas in place to make the PDB more customizable anyway.

I personally don't like the micro cams for a freestyle frame because there are some minor areas I feel it doesn't perform as well in, it is not a fully protected as the regular size and it doesn't have a standard mounting method to lock its angle and I don't like making 3D printed mods to make it work. That is why it was not designed into this frame from the beginning.

The new design covers pretty much all of the items in your list from the factory but I do love the mods you've done on the Alien. There is so many cool things people have done with them over the years.
Sep 22, 2017, 10:56 AM
Steez FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Glide
The "Sean" PDB (I refuse to call it any other way) will not fit. There is too much that I wanted to change in the Alien center section to improve it and save weight to even think about making it compatible. If weight is a concern for you like you keep saying then you could modify this new design the way you have the Alien and save even more weight "and" make things stiffer. We have some ideas in place to make the PDB more customizable anyway.

I personally don't like the micro cams for a freestyle frame because there are some minor areas I feel it doesn't perform as well in, it is not a fully protected as the regular size and it doesn't have a standard mounting method to lock its angle and I don't like making 3D printed mods to make it work. That is why it was not designed into this frame from the beginning.

The new design covers pretty much all of the items in your list from the factory but I do love the mods you've done on the Alien. There is so many cool things people have done with them over the years.
Chad, the micros swift is conformal coated and because it is so small it's actually more protected than a full sized can. moreover, because it's so light, the TPU mounts hold it in place beautifully and i have not had a single issue.

im sure your frame will be excellent, I just don't think I will prefer it over the Alien (as I have it), but we shall see! that is awesome that it pretty much addresses the pitfalls of the alien, right off the bat.

Chad, will you make this new quad in 6" if so I'm in!!! because I could ue a 6" frame for long range with a tad more room for a big cam and some other thing for long range. i think that may be a way for me to get this new frame when it comes out!

either way, much respect Chad for all you have been doing for this community. I'm a huge fan! Please keep innovating this hobby and I will support you one way or another, that's for sure!!!!
Sep 22, 2017, 12:18 PM
Team Warpsquad
Quote:
Chad, the micros swift is conformal coated and because it is so small it's actually more protected than a full sized can. moreover, because it's so light, the TPU mounts hold it in place beautifully and i have not had a single issue.

im sure your frame will be excellent, I just don't think I will prefer it over the Alien (as I have it), but we shall see! that is awesome that it pretty much addresses the pitfalls of the alien, right off the bat.

Chad, will you make this new quad in 6" if so I'm in!!! because I could ue a 6" frame for long range with a tad more room for a big cam and some other thing for long range. i think that may be a way for me to get this new frame when it comes out!

either way, much respect Chad for all you have been doing for this community. I'm a huge fan! Please keep innovating this hobby and I will support you one way or another, that's for sure!!!!
All good mate, I'm not here to convince you to change, just answer your points.

Right now I am concentrating on the 5" version but I have 6" + ideas on my brain for long range applications to be worked on soon.
Sep 22, 2017, 12:47 PM
AKA Alex Wolf
Quote:

The "Sean" PDB.

ROFL.
Sep 22, 2017, 12:49 PM
Steez FPV
Quote:
All good mate, I'm not here to convince you to change, just answer your points.

Right now I am concentrating on the 5" version but I have 6" + ideas on my brain for long range applications to be worked on soon.
Yep, I know - thanks bud.

Like I said I'm happy with my modded Alien 4.5's but 6" I do have a need. I don't want to use the 4" body on a 6" quad because I feel it may be a little too small especially if I want to run bigger packs, and I want nicer fpv cam options aka full size. But I do want the body to be a tad smaller and lower standoffs than the Alien 5" like your design is. I feel it would be the perfect 6" rig for me.

As of now I'm just using a butterquad, but after flyinh my new lightweight 4.5" alien with 25mm standoffs, I don't like the big bodied 5" body with 35mm standoffs.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:35 PM
Quote:

the micro is not as good as a full size with gopro lens, especially in lower light, but it's pretty good. I never expected it to give the same image as a gopro lens, the lens is tiny! Smaller lens, less light gets to the sensor. Now there is no force of nature that will move that camera angle. you'll just have to take my word for it or I could always make a youtube video showing it. The tpu will flex, but the camera will not move in the mounts with the screws tight, it will just go right back to it's original angle. I wouldn't dream of trying to change your mind, just educate those with open minds. I also don't think i'll ever break one mounted like this. I've got a graveyard of hs1177's. ignore that god awful gopro mount, i've got a 4 inch couch mount coming from bmc3d, they finally made one for the 4 inch, finally!

Last edited by moosestang; Sep 22, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod bath
MY precious oh no damn
One roll to many then tree big tree !!
This is my 3rd bottom and 5th top plate now but still going strong on the original arms.
My poor 4/5 I can rebuild her better than she was before , better , stronger , faster !!!
You broke dat! I bet the sound was wonderful though.

I kind of like the sound of carbon breaking. 5 inch alien arms on a 4 inch won't break for some reason.
Sep 22, 2017, 02:53 PM
Steez FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
the micro is not as good as a full size with gopro lens, especially in lower light, but it's pretty good. I never expected it to give the same image as a gopro lens, the lens is tiny! Smaller lens, less light gets to the sensor. Now there is no force of nature that will move that camera angle. you'll just have to take my word for it or I could always make a youtube video showing it. I also don't think i'll ever break one mounted like this. I've got a graveyard of hs1177's. ignore that god awful gopro mount, i've got a 4 inch couch mount coming from bmc3d, they finally made one for the 4 inch, finally!
my tpu mount is also rock solid, the cams are so light n the tpu compresses allowing you literally not to be able to move the camera if you tried and then the cam is hidden behind the standoffs and in the frame so you'll never hit it. there's no chance you'd ever move mine unless in a catastrophic crash. i switched all my rigs over to them and love them.

aside from my 6", my 6" i'm going to put a full sized CMOS cam in for the best picture for long range and potentially night flying.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:16 PM
Quote:
my tpu mount is also rock solid, the cams are so light n the tpu compresses allowing you literally not to be able to move the camera if you tried and then the cam is hidden behind the standoffs and in the frame so you'll never hit it. there's no chance you'd ever move mine unless in a catastrophic crash. i switched all my rigs over to them and love them.

aside from my 6", my 6" i'm going to put a full sized CMOS cam in for the best picture for long range and potentially night flying.
yeah, the eagle gives a slightly better picture. The monster has even better detail, but i had a lot of weird color problems and i hated the 16x9 crop factor of it, lost part of the bottom and top of the image, even with a 16x9 goggle. Those cmos cameras are too pricey for the slightly better picture though. the micro image is very good for most. I hope we see more frames designed around it. The micro does sit perfectly between the standoffs on the 4 inch alien, probably have a little more wiggle room on the 5. I can just barely see the edge of my standoffs, but never notice them when flying. It's also an easy way to drop 10g or more. All for $29.99 on amazon.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:21 PM
Steez FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
yeah, the eagle gives a slightly better picture. The monster has even better detail, but i had a lot of weird color problems and i hated the 16x9 crop factor of it, lost part of the bottom and top of the image, even with a 16x9 goggle. Those cmos cameras are too pricey for the slightly better picture though. the micro image is very good for most. I hope we see more frames designed around it. The micro does sit perfectly between the standoffs on the 4 inch alien, probably have a little more wiggle room on the 5. I can just barely see the edge of my standoffs, but never notice them when flying. It's also an easy way to drop 10g or more. All for $29.99 on amazon.
with my fpv cam tpu mount i dont see the standoffs at all, if i push the mounts all the way up i dont even see props or very very faint swirling if anything. but i run 25mm standoffs and skinnier standoffs, more like stock. i think you use 22mm standoffs? i was going to do 22mm but my gopro mount doesnt stand as tall as yours does and i was afraid of props in gopro footage. with 25mm i get no props in gopro footage with my semi low tpu mount for gopro. plus after looking at my 25mm standoffs, they're perfect because theyre exactly the same height as my prop line, which means the props can properly unload between the 4" body, the air can flow under the top plate to allow for proper disc unloading, yaw authority, and thrust. plus the COG is vastly improved, it's just barely ontop of the propline, not by much which i actually think can help in certain situations, i prefer either dead center COG or slightly ontop, never down bottom. i hate bottom mount.

PS: Kabab has a video on this disc unloading stuff about too low of standoffs blocking prop unloading and loosing, power, control, and yaw authority.
Last edited by lyons238; Sep 22, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote:
with my fpv cam tpu mount i dont see the standoffs at all, if i push the mounts all the way up i dont even see props or very very faint swirling if anything. but i run 25mm standoffs and skinnier standoffs, more like stock. i think you use 22mm standoffs? i was going to do 22mm but my gopro mount doesnt stand as tall as yours does and i was afraid of props in gopro footage. with 25mm i get no props in gopro footage with my semi low tpu mount for gopro. plus after looking at my 25mm standoffs, they're perfect because theyre exactly the same height as my prop line, which means the props can properly unload between the 4" body, the air can flow under the top plate to allow for proper disc unloading, yaw authority, and thrust. plus the COG is vastly improved, it's just barely ontop of the propline, not by much which i actually think can help in certain situations, i prefer either dead center COG or slightly ontop, never down bottom. i hate bottom mount.

PS: Kabab has a video on this disc unloading stuff about too low of standoffs blocking prop unloading and loosing, power, control, and yaw authority.
those are 20mm in the pic and yeah, they are 6mm wide, so i can't push the camera forward, but they will not bend, that's why i run them. If you can bend them, i'll buy you a new one.

My other 4/5 has 22mm ones, same standoffs, just 2mm taller.

Kabab is awesome, but wrong a lot of the time. Of course wrapping tape around your quad is going to lessen yaw authority, you increase the air resistance a lot! air can still flow through the body of the quad, but not with tape. I think, that kabab thinks a little too much about this stuff.
Sep 23, 2017, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf78
The "Sean" PDB.

ROFL.
Same reaction as me
Sep 23, 2017, 04:13 PM
I am rebuilding my 5" alien with the Mercury stack. Can anyone please help me with the telemetry connections with a frsky x4r? Specifically I am not sure if I hook up the yellow telemetry wire from the rx to the telemetry or the RSSI connection on the mercury flight controller. Or do I use two wires from the telemetry port on the rx to the flight controller?

Quick Reply