ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames - Page 1140 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238
so long as you isolate the bottom of the stack it doesnt matter if you hardmount the rest with nylon or use orings however you want to do it.
That is my next try.
O-rings under fc
Spacers between fc and vtx
O-rings on top
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 07:24 PM
Quote:
so long as you isolate the bottom of the stack it doesnt matter if you hardmount the rest with nylon or use orings however you want to do it.
Total isolation won't be possible with this setup. As Dttocs mentioned, the PDB is actually a critical piece of structure on the Alien, so there is no way to isolate it. There is a 2x4 set of male header pins that extend both above and below the FC - on the lower end mating with the PDB and on the upper side mating with the VTx/OSD. They are using really shallow female headers to mate with these pins, so I suppose the mechanical contact might not be too severe. Certainly less than hard-mounting or a PDB/FC combo with heavy motor and battery wires soldered to the FC.

I can't see the O-rings hurting anything, so certainly worth a try. I think ImpulseRC mentioned that they didn't need O-rings in their test aircraft, but I'm guessing they made wiser motor choices. Maybe the R4s will find their way onto a Helix or something where FC vibration isolation is a bit easier.
Sep 14, 2017, 01:14 AM
Quote:
@ImpulseRC - Is the new frame supposed to be sort of a replacement for the Alien? Or will it have different features/design enough to separate it and grab a different slice of the market. It seems to me like it might cause a bit of ambiguity to have a another Alien style frame. In my opinion, to ensure you're not in competition with yourself or confuse customers or push them away, it would be best to have a completely different frame, or create some upgrades/revisions for the existing Alien. There's still a lot to be improved on there...4" bodies stock with 5" arms, 5" body stock with 6" arms. 25mm dropped deck 4" with locking cam mount for those with the micro swift, 30mm standoffs with locking cam for full sized cams. 30mm dropped deck 5" body with locking cam mount. Also, there's some weight that could be shaved off the Alien with these changes above and potentially other improvements, IMO. I think the frame design is MONEY, it just needs a few minor updates. Please don't forget us.

Personally, I just spent a small fortune updating all my Alien's to a 4.5 setup with Steele PDB's, I'd be pretty gutted if an improved Alien style frame came out. I think many others would agree, it should be different enough to leave the Alien in it's own space.

Cheers!
I'll second that. Not sure if it needs a new frame. And if so, it has to be something completely different than the Alien. But at least from the pics FGA is constantly posting on Facebook, it doesn't appear like that.

I think I would have preferred if ImpulseRC would have put their efforts in upgrades for the Alien platform rather than something new.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:21 AM
All I saw on his FB was pictures of Hypetrain's and Alien frames
Sep 14, 2017, 06:26 AM
I got lucky this week and was able to build the Mercury stack into my XHover R5LX frame, so today is the maiden! It was super easy to build, and everything checked out on the multimeter. Plugging in the first battery pack is always a bit nerve-wracking, but everything lit right up the first time. Looking forward to my lunch break today!

Also, is there a dedicated thread to the Mercury Stack yet?
Sep 14, 2017, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
All I saw on his FB was pictures of Hypetrain's and Alien frames
Nope, the frame in his pictures is not an Alien, he also confirmed that in the comments. Take a closer look at the top & cam plate. It also seems like it has a lower profile. But overall it looks pretty similar to the Alien I guess.

Source of pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Sep 14, 2017, 07:02 AM

ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames

Well, at least you know that the size is possibly squashed down. Looks like that is a Runcam Mini. Or so I think anyway. The case looks a little more boxy than the standard cam. That bottom plate looks pretty similar to the 4 inch plate.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:25 AM
Well after looking at those pics which greatly resemble the Alien perhaps it's new parts that can be retrofitted to the Alien arms and stuff. Now that would be cool! And yeah that does look like a smaller camera in there without much room vertically so I'm assuming it's had the top plate lowered as well. Doing something along these lines would be the best for everyone considering new buyers and ones that already have the original Alien would ask be interested in buying. Win win for everyone.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw
Well after looking at those pics which greatly resemble the Alien perhaps it's new parts that can be retrofitted to the Alien arms and stuff. Now that would be cool! And yeah that does look like a smaller camera in there without much room vertically so I'm assuming it's had the top plate lowered as well. Doing something along these lines would be the best for everyone considering new buyers and ones that already have the original Alien would ask be interested in buying. Win win for everyone.

Maybe the arms could be the same but I see that he isn't running the Alien PDB so that sort of has me thinking that there is going to be enough of a change to have all of us buying a new frame. Which isn't a huge deal to me... as long as there is a specific PDB that is going to be as organised as the Alien and play nicely with the new Mercury.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:49 AM
Quote:
They always referred it as a completely new frame and made clear that it's not an Alien. It will also get its own name, which they don't revealed yet. So I don't believe that parts can be shared between the Alien and this frame. In this case, they would have designed it around the Alien / Steele PDB.

Looking at the pictures, there is nothing that couldn't have been done with upgrade parts for the Alien. If they come up with a new frame, I would have expected something completely different like the Helix. Not sure why it would need something so similar to the Alien...
Sep 14, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raumagent
They always referred it as a completely new frame and made clear that it's not an Alien. It will also get its own name, which they don't revealed yet. So I don't believe that parts can be shared between the Alien and this frame. In this case, they would have designed it around the Alien / Steele PDB.

Looking at the pictures, there is nothing that couldn't have been done with upgrade parts for the Alien. If they come up with a new frame, I would have expected something completely different like the Helix. Not sure why it would need something so similar to the Alien...
The similarity to the Alien is kinda how I can to that conclusion. One thing I'd say for sure it's not going to be a racing frame or pure X frame since Chad's involved with it. The arms do look very similar tho. IDK, we're all just guessing at this point but it is fun to do so lol. Honestly with the long standing popularity of the Alien coming out with a similar but updated version makes sense from a business standpoint. And why not, we all love the Alien and I'm sure we'll all love this new one if it comes even close to the durability of the Alien. I'm hoping for a vertical plate right in the middle in the back to attach Vtx and whatnot to. I've always thought that was a good idea to get the maximum amount of wind going across it. Especially running the Unify Pro at 800mW, it needs the most amount of air possible and having it laying down on top of the stack it begins to overheat quickly. Only time till tell I guess.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:02 PM
Quote:
The similarity to the Alien is kinda how I can to that conclusion. One thing I'd say for sure it's not going to be a racing frame or pure X frame since Chad's involved with it. The arms do look very similar tho. IDK, we're all just guessing at this point but it is fun to do so lol. Honestly with the long standing popularity of the Alien coming out with a similar but updated version makes sense from a business standpoint. And why not, we all love the Alien and I'm sure we'll all love this new one if it comes even close to the durability of the Alien. I'm hoping for a vertical plate right in the middle in the back to attach Vtx and whatnot to. I've always thought that was a good idea to get the maximum amount of wind going across it. Especially running the Unify Pro at 800mW, it needs the most amount of air possible and having it laying down on top of the stack it begins to overheat quickly. Only time till tell I guess.
Yea maybe we all happily jump over to the new frame when they reveal it. I have no problems in supporting them by buying parts, but I want something awesome in exchange! Maybe I'm just a bit disappointed because I was expecting something completely new and innovative (like the Alien at that time).

However, with the work on the new frame, updated parts for the 4.5 Alien have probably postponed. And I was hoping to do the jump to the 4.5 before winter this year.
Sep 14, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote:
I agree, like I said in my previous post, there's many improvements to be made with the Alien platform - which is why I'm really hoping that the new frame is much different and the Alien is still kept relevant.

I too am now running a micro swift on a 25mm drop deck 4.5 Alien. Right now I'm using a pretty nice TPU mount and because the cam is so light and small so it's tucked away in the frame it actually holds well, but it would be nice to have a guaranteed locking angle that will never move in a crash.
I can't get the micro swift to move in a crash at all. I really like a fpv camera mounted with tpu, so it has a little give. The 4 inch alien mount broke my camera plate off the back, because it did not give. The micro swift is a perfect fit between the 4 inch alien standoffs too and it is just far enough forward for a clear view and still very well protected. keen to try the 2.3mm lens if it ever gets here!
Sep 14, 2017, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raumagent
Yea maybe we all happily jump over to the new frame when they reveal it.
Jump over? You mean, buy in addition to
Sep 14, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosestang
The micro swift is a perfect fit between the 4 inch alien standoffs too and it is just far enough forward for a clear view and still very well protected. keen to try the 2.3mm lens if it ever gets here!
There were a lot of vibration issues reported with the 2.3mm lenses, though the thread members over on the Swift Micro discussion seem to think the 2.3mm lens shake issue was fixed...ymmv.