ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames - Page 11 - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2015, 07:05 AM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Come on 90C 1300mAh 4S lipos
I still don't think it would be practical to run 2206 cobras on 1300mah battery, unless you'd want under 1 minute flights of course assuming the battery would withstand the amp draw.
If 1 lap racing would be a reality, then sure

OR

we could have something like a pit stop in formula1 where your team of 6 people changes the lipo and props in 5 seconds after each lap
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2015, 08:02 AM
:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM
Soma, I have found a company that has really nice 1300mah compact batteries in 45-90c range .
They are turning out more new batteries that are geared toward the Micro set so I think it's a good company to watch. multicopterbatteries.com
I haven't seen them, thanks mate.

Best lipo name I've heard. Bonka! Love it. Be interesting to see how they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
I still don't think it would be practical to run 2206 cobras on 1300mah battery, unless you'd want under 1 minute flights of course assuming the battery would withstand the amp draw.
If 1 lap racing would be a reality, then sure

OR

we could have something like a pit stop in formula1 where your team of 6 people changes the lipo and props in 5 seconds after each lap
I think that'd be great for endurance races!

I don't know if its the capacity that's the issue or that they can't hold up to the current draw and collapse?

We were joking this arv that the lipo's aren't puffed, but puckered from having the amps forcibly drained from them

Just a quick post, time to turn in for the night here...
Aug 06, 2015, 10:52 AM
In the air.
Re 2206s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreakmore

People have been running them on 5" props from videos I've seen but I would have thought that the 6" is where most of the benefit would be especially with the added weight.
I've been testing 5x45 BNs versus 6045s for the last week on the 2206s. Top speeds in the air as measured by radar gun were nearly identical (75-80mph) in both props. Responsiveness, traction in turns, and efficiency all go in favor or the 6045s. Plus they are much quieter. This was on a 600g auw rig with 1800 mah 4s.

If you are testing the 6045s for the first time today... you are in for a treat. My buddies were laughing at me because I had my mouth agape the whole time. Can't wait to test this power setup on a 6 inch alien. It might not be the best for all situations but for a muscle car version....
Last edited by WigglesFPV; Aug 06, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Aug 06, 2015, 11:50 AM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
In the mean time though, we've been doing it for a year and its worked out pretty well so far ... (...~. Man I love that scene )

https://youtu.be/PVsaBxOxQek
I have a subwoofer in my living room. I call it Barney. Barney's a big fella. Barney tries to replicate that shockwave effect. I have loose plaster in the adjacent bedroom that attests to that effort.
Aug 06, 2015, 12:04 PM
New Cobra 2206s are now on my shelf. Subbed to the new thread.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these.
Aug 06, 2015, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialrectosis

I may or may not have accidentally ordered a set of the 2206s as well

likely going with the 2204/2300kv set up, but couldn't resist having some of these to play with. Also picked up some of David's new ESCs as who knows when I'll be able to catch some KISS 30a actually in stock (but once I have some I can't wait to try them out).
Aug 06, 2015, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglesFPV
I've been testing 5x45 BNs versus 6045s for the last week on the 2206s. Top speeds in the air as measured by radar gun were nearly identical (75-80mph) in both props. Responsiveness, traction in turns, and efficiency all go in favor or the 6045s. Plus they are much quieter. This was on a 600g auw rig with 1800 mah 4s.
Interesting, thats basically the opposite of what I think I felt comparing the BN to non BN on the 2204 2300 (and 2208 2000)

It felt so much weaker with the BN and "slower" (PunchOut)... interesting the 2206 behave so differently^^
Aug 06, 2015, 12:46 PM
In the air.
Julian, I am not sure you read my post correctly. I said the 5 in bullnose and the 6 inch 45s had same top speed, but that the 5 inch bullnoses underperformed in all other areas, including accelleration time to reach top speed. So I think we are in agreement, no?

Edit, unless of course you were surprised by the nearly identical top speeds. I dont find that too surprising if you consider the BNs have a higher pitch speed while the 6045s have more thrust to over come drag at WOT. The big place the bullnoses failed was in hair pin turns afters WOT speed runs. They dont grab well and skid the quad a long ways. I have some vids showing this.
Last edited by WigglesFPV; Aug 06, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
Aug 06, 2015, 01:11 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD

likely going with the 2204/2300kv set up, but couldn't resist having some of these to play with. Also picked up some of David's new ESCs as who knows when I'll be able to catch some KISS 30a actually in stock (but once I have some I can't wait to try them out).
Thinking about all the prop-inflicted damage to my 18a KISS's, if I'm going to pay $30 - $40 each for 30a KISS I will be wishing there was some place to hide those expensive ESC's out of harm's way.
Aug 06, 2015, 01:13 PM
Alien WarpSquad
About the Cobra 2206's - if I can get MN2206's for the same price, how/why does one choose between them?
Aug 06, 2015, 03:23 PM
:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglesFPV
Re 2206s

If you are testing the 6045s for the first time today... you are in for a treat. My buddies were laughing at me because I had my mouth agape the whole time. Can't wait to test this power setup on a 6 inch alien. It might not be the best for all situations but for a muscle car version....
That's very interesting mate. That's what struck me about watching them yesterday too, just the instant bite in tight turns. And the consistency in punch outs, they just hit WOT and stayed there.

I've heard a fair amount of the excess current these are drawing but they didn't seem too bad at least yesterday. We will try to get the Eagle Tree on it today to find some numbers.

Might have to call these motors 'Muscles' hey? Maybe the 'big guns'? Its looking that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
I have a subwoofer in my living room. I call it Barney. Barney's a big fella. Barney tries to replicate that shockwave effect. I have loose plaster in the adjacent bedroom that attests to that effort.
Ha! Ahh mate, its good to have a laugh first thing in the morning. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialrectosis

Cheers mate! They're seeming a good combo already from a short test.

Quote:

Woops! Amazing how easy it is to slip in such a precise way and enter One's PayPal details at times isn't it!

Be interesting how the RG's ESCs go. I imagine they'll run them solidly as all their recent offerings seem to have been running great.

We used the SN30A's yesterday and they ran smooth with BLHeli V14, we'll see how it all holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog
About the Cobra 2206's - if I can get MN2206's for the same price, how/why does one choose between them?
I did some testing on the MN2206 2000KV vs the 2204/5/6 motors a couple of months ago. I can't remember the figures and I don't have the spreadsheet here though sorry. I need to test the Cobra 2206 on the bench but my gut feeling is it will be more powerful? The Cobra 2204's are beasts, probably due to the beefy windings?
Aug 06, 2015, 03:59 PM
In the air.
Quote:
I've heard a fair amount of the excess current these are drawing but they didn't seem too bad at least yesterday. We will try to get the Eagle Tree on it today to find some numbers.
I'd be interested to here the numbers you observe. My guess is something in the 85ish amp range @ WOT in air before sag. Those motors handle the 6045s fine, and RG20 escs handles the combo no problem. The batteries are what suffer for me. I think 65C 1800 is the minimum.
Aug 06, 2015, 04:03 PM
Bit of a silly question on the Tornado F3, but I'm ignorant: For SBUS applications, will the rx still need to be modified/use an inline inverter or is the signal decoded properly going direct from a stock x4r-sb into the tornado? My assumption is yes, but just wanted to get it out there for others that are afraid to ask stupid questions.

I'm your hero, stupid question non-askers out there.
Aug 06, 2015, 04:05 PM
Extreme Superlative Hyper-Pro
The F3 hardware and Cleanflight invert SBUS automatically. No external inverter required.
Aug 06, 2015, 04:07 PM
Alien WarpSquad
Quote:
Bit of a silly question on the Tornado F3, but I'm ignorant: For SBUS applications, will the rx still need to be modified/use an inline inverter or is the signal decoded properly going direct from a stock x4r-sb into the tornado? My assumption is yes, but just wanted to get it out there for others that are afraid to ask stupid questions.

I'm your hero, stupid question non-askers out there.
Narco, you suck at asking stupid questions.