Mar 20, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingolfer View Post
Do you use the Kiss FC and if so, is this how you wired it (pic)? Found the pic somewhere here on RCGroups...
I use the built-in Spektrum port. Top side opposite the USB port. There's probably pads as well, but I just use the plug.

Edit: for sure you need 3.3v. 5v is too much for Spektrum.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 09:01 PM
Helplessly addicted to FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007 View Post
I use the built-in Spektrum port. Top side opposite the USB port. There's probably pads as well, but I just use the plug.

Ah. Cool. Thanks!
Well...don't I feel stupid. I have been studying up on all the connections, but somehow overlooked that completely.
Can't wait for this semester of college to be done, because my brain is clearly turning into mush....
Mar 20, 2017, 09:47 PM
fly a LiPo a day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones007 View Post
Unless you are using the SPM4649T telemetry receiver. SPM4648 racing satellite is 3.3V, like traditional Sat RX. SPM4649T telemetry RX now requires 5V, like the FrSky telemetry receivers. Good choice either way.
Latest blog entry: In lieu of a blog post
Mar 21, 2017, 12:55 AM
Warpsquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw View Post
I first bought my Alien last year cause it's hands down one of the best frames out there for durability. Perfect for first time pilots. Although now I believe it's a little on the high side as far as price with some of the recent frame offerings I'm still glad I have one and will never get rid of mine. It's proved itself over and over again from many crashes from lots of people and will always be considered the best frame ever produced.
Yes you might get some unbiased opinions on this thread but all the info is out there. This frame is one the best performing freestyle frames ever... And always will be.
Quote:
+1
I chose the RR5 for its smoothness and dependability. Did TONS of research before choosing this frame. Chose this as my first scratch build, because of it's open design, so it would be easier to work on and fit parts onto. It doesn't hurt either, that some the worlds best pilots (Steele, Nowak) fly them.
Thanks so much for the kind words. It's really pretty crazy the design has held it's own for such a long time and we're all super grateful for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackR0ck View Post
All my friends know the lowrider...
Take a little trip and see...
LowRider by War

I finally got out in the sun to play with my lowrider. Smooth...

I took the Foxeer XAT600SM camera, cut off the shrink wrap and pulled the bolts splitting the separate camera board. A bit of shrink wrap and hot glue and that second board is attached out flat behind the lens. I got my 25-30" tilt plus some frame protection just by cutting out that front cross support. Hot glued to the frame. Pulled the heat sink off my singularity and seated it with about 2mm to spare from the top plate. Total weight loss turned out to be only around 30g but it does look cool.

I could pull the old Kiss30A ESC's and replace them with something much lighter but heck if they haven't given me hundreds of solid flights, so for now they stay with the frame. Loaded up the FC with the latest BF and have my 5" Alien set for the summer. I still have room to mount my GoPro Session which I swap back and forth on frames so I'll have to make a new video at some point.
Loving your work. Seriously cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenanceman View Post
Can confirm residue on the side that had the adhesive. I sent a ticket into rotor riot, Jen replied with a tracking number, now that's service
Thanks for confirming, I think we've figure out where the issue is. Looks like our manufacturer got hold of some material which had been stored incorrectly. If anyone isn't happy with their pad please get in touch and we will fix you up!
Mar 21, 2017, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC View Post
Thanks for confirming, I think we've figure out where the issue is. Looks like our manufacturer got hold of some material which had been stored incorrectly. If anyone isn't happy with their pad please get in touch and we will fix you up!

I just received my replacement lipo pad from RR and it's the lighter red colored pad.

I just want to confirm the whole wiping it down with alcohol thing before I try and apply it cause im a bit confused. Even if i were to wipe the residue off I would think theres still the possibility for it to come off since you cant clean behind the adhesive.

Do you mean apply it and if the adhesive sticks to the frame and not the pad just wipe the pad down then try to restick it?

Sorry to keep bringing this up btw
Mar 21, 2017, 09:06 AM
it's residue between the pad and the adhesive. If all they sent me is another defective pad, I'll be kinda ticked
Mar 21, 2017, 09:49 AM
Im thinking that's exactly what I got......

I'll confirm when I get off work.
Mar 21, 2017, 10:48 AM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneFPV View Post
I just received my replacement lipo pad from RR and it's the lighter red colored pad.

I just want to confirm the whole wiping it down with alcohol thing before I try and apply it cause im a bit confused. Even if i were to wipe the residue off I would think theres still the possibility for it to come off since you cant clean behind the adhesive.

Do you mean apply it and if the adhesive sticks to the frame and not the pad just wipe the pad down then try to restick it?

Sorry to keep bringing this up btw

No, the best practice before apply any doublesided tape or adhesive is to simply wipe down the surface you're sticking to with alcohol. Many of us have alcohol readily available on the bench because it good to clean off flux residue and awesome in it's ability to make hotglue come off.

That's what the earlier poster recommended before we learn that it was the adhesive with the pad that is the problem on some.
Mar 21, 2017, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
No, the best practice before apply any doublesided tape or adhesive is to simply wipe down the surface you're sticking to with alcohol. Many of us have alcohol readily available on the bench because it good to clean off flux residue and awesome in it's ability to make hotglue come off.

That's what the earlier poster recommended before we learn that it was the adhesive with the pad that is the problem on some.
Im the same way. I have 2 huge bottles of 91% ISO alcohol on my bench at all times.

Problem is thats exactly what I did the first time i had this problem. I wiped down the entire top plate with it and it still came right off so that isnt the "magical" fix everyone thinks it is.
Mar 21, 2017, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneFPV View Post
Im the same way. I have 2 huge bottles of 91% ISO alcohol on my bench at all times.

Problem is thats exactly what I did the first time i had this problem. I wiped down the entire top plate with it and it still came right off so that isnt the "magical" fix everyone thinks it is.
I'm guessing that the double-sided sticky film stayed securely on the frame (unless it stayed on the paper backing), and the rubber came off of the sticky film. That's what I have experienced, and I think what Impulse described above. I think the problem was that the rubber had some sort of contaminant on it that prevented it from sticking properly to the doubled-sided sticky film, and I think their advice was not to clean the frame, but rather to clean the side of the rubber pad that was supposed to be stuck to the film, and then try re-sticking it to the film. Or just request a replacement that doesn't suffer from this problem.
Mar 21, 2017, 05:23 PM
Well if I can just get a replacement then that is the route I would rather take.

Not to be picky but this one looks like someone sweeped the floor with it and it's still sealed in the package as you can see.

I don't have high hopes for it...
Mar 21, 2017, 05:53 PM
Warpsquid
The colour of that pad looks fine. There are no traces of chalky white residue in your picture. If you feel like someone swept the floor with it you can contact RR and let them know you aren't happy. We ship them loose and RR repackage them, but honestly a little dust in there shouldn't be a big deal.

Clean the plate you're attaching it to so there are no traces of oils, dirt or other adhesive. Carefully peel off the backing and apply the lipo pad to the carbon. Press it down hard, the adhesive is pressure activated. Don't try to peel the pad back off to see if it's stuck down, that never happens in normal use. If you want to see if it's secure you can put a battery on it, apply downwards pressure to simulate a lipo strap, and then try to slide the battery forwards or backwards.
Mar 21, 2017, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC View Post
The colour of that pad looks fine. There are no traces of chalky white residue in your picture. If you feel like someone swept the floor with it you can contact RR and let them know you aren't happy. We ship them loose and RR repackage them, but honestly a little dust in there shouldn't be a big deal.

Clean the plate you're attaching it to so there are no traces of oils, dirt or other adhesive. Carefully peel off the backing and apply the lipo pad to the carbon. Press it down hard, the adhesive is pressure activated. Don't try to peel the pad back off to see if it's stuck down, that never happens in normal use. If you want to see if it's secure you can put a battery on it, apply downwards pressure to simulate a lipo strap, and then try to slide the battery forwards or backwards.
Mine came from RR and after some crashes (brake an arm already on an hard one) the pad start to peal off from the rubber part. For the moment I'm fine but I don't think that it will last until this summer...
But overall satisfied with it. I'll get a new pad when I'll think to build a 4/5 Alien... When someone will do a PDB that fit the 4" frame... Happy fly
Mar 22, 2017, 06:19 PM
Helplessly addicted to FPV
Feels like Christmas in March! It's going to be GREAT weekend.
Muhahaaa!
Mar 22, 2017, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Feels like Christmas in March! It's going to be GREAT weekend.
Muhahaaa!
Congrats! You're gonna love it. BEST frame hands down. Im contemplating on purchasing another one.