Aug 03, 2015, 10:14 PM
Morologus es
Thread OP
Discussion

Its here...the new Typhoon..."Stormbird"

Hi Chaps,
I'm probably a bit premature here as in fact I don't even have the Stormbird prototype in my hand yet, but I thought I'd share the first glimpses plus a bit of history.

Basically this is my Typhoon modernised.

So, whats different from the old Phoon?

1. New wing sections that go faster, accelerate quicker and will work well at slower speeds.

2. Aeroteam Sine wave spar - its stronger, especially in torsion and much lighter.

3. Completely new wing planform to go faster and be more agile.

4. Ballast in the wings and the fuselage.

5. MASSIVE wing joiner 35mm x 12 mm

6. New tail section that needs a lot less movement (drag) to get the same effect.

7. Longer nose for less counterweight.

8. Stronger lighter construction.

9. Absolutely "European" fit and finish.

10. Alternative electric nose cone coming.

As many go you know, I stand by my designs, and until now i have never ever had any disparaging comments about actual performance.

This might just be my best work yet.

Anything the Typhoon can do this one will do 20% more (at least) and its slicker, better looking, stronger, lighter and has a much better finish.

More pics and information as I get it.

Cheers,

James.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2015, 12:27 AM
That's beautiful James!

Totally wow...........especially with e-cone!

I'm in!

LP
Aug 04, 2015, 05:55 AM
C'mon more Energy
Looks great James. I loved the look of the old one and how it flew.
This one looks even nicer.

What's the expected date till Hobbyking flop one and start selling them for $200. Only taking the piss.

Good luck. Hope to see one on the slope soon.
Aug 04, 2015, 06:07 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Wow, love the looks - should be popular. My only concern is that very narrow fuse just in front of the big fin which looks a little vulnerable to fracture in a landing, but I am sure you have addressed that with plenty of carbon back there.
Aug 04, 2015, 07:45 AM
Morologus es
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Wow, love the looks - should be popular. My only concern is that very narrow fuse just in front of the big fin which looks a little vulnerable to fracture in a landing, but I am sure you have addressed that with plenty of carbon back there.
Hi Matty,
should be strong enough I hope.

Actually sometimes I do suffer a bit from my legacy.

Because I did do quite a few designs for RCRCM and then they (believe me this is true) decided to make the vulnerable places even more so, and not to follow my layup instructions - so as to stand a better chance of a new sale due to breakage, a lot of people tend to blame the design rather than the construction.

Golf shafts, golf shafts!

I do design my planes scientifically, and to do that I first do the maths to work out what it is, where it should be, how big etc - including the layups needed to give a good strong construction.

THEN I play with the lines and curves to make it (hopefully) look good.

Just for reference, carbon will not add too much strength. You need Kevlar etc for that.

What it does do is to add rigidity.

Popular misconception.

Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Hopefully I can see you lads at the slope when I come to UK later this year.

Cheers,

J.
Aug 04, 2015, 08:44 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
As they say on Archer - "sploosh".
Yup, looking forward to T9 getting them in
Aug 04, 2015, 09:29 AM
Morologus es
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
As they say on Archer - "sploosh".
Yup, looking forward to T9 getting them in
Sploosh?

Have I been out of UK too long?

What does that mean?

Cheers,

J.
Aug 04, 2015, 10:16 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
"Very Good".
Sorry, Archer is a TV series. I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on one of your Stormbirds.
Aug 04, 2015, 10:31 AM
DS Junkie
James, I realize this is not a DS ship per se, but that big joiner and stiffer wings have got me thinking...do you reckon it's 200 mph capable, at least in a carbon formulation?
Aug 04, 2015, 10:49 AM
Morologus es
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
James, I realize this is not a DS ship per se, but that big joiner and stiffer wings have got me thinking...do you reckon it's 200 mph capable, at least in a carbon formulation?
Hi Der Adler,

Yep.

I might think about a "special edition" carbon stab set though if it was me.

Also I'd definitely got for the rudder/elevator servos in the fin option too.

Other than that the normal fuselage and carbon wings should be great.

Aeroteam Sine Wave spar helps so much here as the torsional stiffness it lends to the wings is really good.

Cheers
Aug 04, 2015, 11:13 AM
DS Junkie
Yep, good ideas. I'd probably just tape the rudder for DS purposes. Didn't realize there was an option for a tail mounted elevator servo, always a better option IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc James H
Hi Der Adler,

Yep.

I might think about a "special edition" carbon stab set though if it was me.

Also I'd definitely got for the rudder/elevator servos in the fin option too.

Other than that the normal fuselage and carbon wings should be great.

Aeroteam Sine Wave spar helps so much here as the torsional stiffness it lends to the wings is really good.

Cheers
Aug 04, 2015, 08:25 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Woohoo!
I loved my Typhoon for the entire, single flying session that i owned it before finances forced its sale.

Too bad i can't afford a new, true DocH plane.
Aug 05, 2015, 10:32 AM
DS Junkie
Sorry if I missed it above, but is there any chance of getting wing-mounted ballast tubes in this one?
Aug 05, 2015, 01:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Hello,

Looks nice, If we wanted one in the US, what distributors will sell this plane other than RCRCM? I mean to get a build with the proper layups in the right places, with no skimping on quality. Nice work, hope to see it flying soon.

Rockitglider
Aug 05, 2015, 02:59 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Sorry if I missed it above, but is there any chance of getting wing-mounted ballast tubes in this one?
Point 4, post 1...

Quick Reply