Nov 15, 2016, 04:05 PM
Apparently there is something in the manual for setting up a cp heli.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wik...DOC/Helicopter

Ric...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2016, 04:10 PM
My name is Naga
Good find!

I didn't remember seeing it before; "last modified November 5th 2016" so maybe quite new.
Nov 15, 2016, 04:31 PM
It seems that way. But it seems very straight forward for setting a cc3d cp heli. Light bulbs going on. I believe I have enough parts to put together another master cp using cc3d. Hate to commit because I'm already swamp with projects and chores. Will download librepilot and install it and go from there.

Ric...
Nov 15, 2016, 06:31 PM
What goes up...............
Thread OP
Wow never seen so much action on the thread, awesome!! Great to get the ideas tossing around, everyone learns from it.

QUOTE=nagas;36202425]I don't think Boats has used a helicopter wizard in LP to set this up, he has done it himself. [/QUOTE]

Yeah I took a look at the helicopter stuff initially but it sounded like (a) it was buggy, and (b) configured for CP (although there is one FP setup from memory). Some of the configuration options weren't at all intuitive. Initially I actually used a plane configuration, but subsequently have just used the Custom setup as you can dial in the amount of mixing, or scale back maximum thrust really easily on any channel. Roadwins ended up using the Custom configuration as well.

Suspect a CP setup should be reasonably straight forward. Nearly tempting to try one. There are a lot of nice features in the software if it comes together -certainly loads of potential there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig
I kinda have to put my hand up for starting this madness !

Sitting back thinking about it i kinda wonder why the heck they went for the 120 - 140 layout for FP when the 90 layout is mechanically more logical.........
Makes me feel better as I've been banging my head against the wall -a scapegoat! Haha.

Yeah good question. Maybe it made it easier to position the servos?

Was thinking about the mixing last night and it struck me the importance of doing it on the flight controller rather than on the radio, as otherwise the FC will get weird responses and hence potential feedback loops/oscillations.

Good stuff......
[
Nov 16, 2016, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Well Craig was right on the money. Added more swash mixing in last night and the wobbly hover has gone! I guess the high quality BlueBird servos were just doing a better job of showing the CC3D's attempt to level the bird....

Anyway a great new platform to move forwards on It's a bit rough at the moment so needs tuning. Interesting that despite on rear cyclic that the heli is actually travelling back and to the right, despite that the swash is tilting back and slightly to the left. Flying response is the key so need to tweak the mixing until cyclic stick movement best translates into heli movement, Will be intriguing to see how it flies outside....

CC3D Swash Mixing (2 min 17 sec)
Nov 16, 2016, 02:45 PM
My name is Naga
Congrats Boats, you are nearly there!

That 120 deg arrangement for a FP is pretty weird, I wonder why they do it that way.

Post the UAV when you finally get it tuned, I would like to see what you've done.
Nov 16, 2016, 03:41 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
YAY !!!! like the use of the main gear to show what was going on !!!

wonder if the for aft rock is the servo speed is now to slow ?

LOL that gear was removed before flying right ?? !

and maybe the BB servos go back in at some stage ????
Nov 16, 2016, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Will post the UAV after a little more tuning and flying it outside. Don't know if you've played with it but loading UAV files is a little weird, often you can't view all of them unless you have a CC3D plugged in. Possibly best way to view them is by reading them as a text file rather than with the LibrePliot Gound Control Station. Sometimes it's handy to have a spare board and just save the file onto the board in order to view it fully. In comparison the ZYX files can be fully loaded and viewed off-line...

I can see that we'll need to assemble some instructions, there's a lot of moving parts. I guess the advantage of having had the issues so far is I've learned a lot more about LibrePilot, there are some really cool features in there that you don't pick up on at first....

Craig: Spooled it up with the main gear in place and had a handheld "check flight", but yeah, dropped it off after that. Was ratting around trying to find something to attach that would highlight the swash level, also handy to adjust the midpoints on the servos (through the LP GCS input page where you can drive the servos straight off the PC).

Would be good to try one of the BB's, probably on Pitch/Ele seeing as that appears to be the critical one on this bird.
Nov 16, 2016, 05:12 PM
sounds like it needs the hover debug thing done to it ?
Nov 16, 2016, 05:45 PM
My name is Naga
The CC3D is so cheap I have a load in the stash so no problem.

I think the OP/LP is great software, so flexible.

Multirotors, (bi, tri, quads, hex, octos ...) planks and tanks, helicopters, I think even bikes if I remember. Whatever; it can do it. Incredible.
Nov 18, 2016, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Got outdoor flights in yesterday. In summary it's flying very nicely, but in keeping with my run of luck with this build there have been a couple of niggles. Ric you did warn me to drop some stock blades in, it was good advice that I didn't heed, and look what happened! Flights went pretty much like this:-
  • Initially had quite some Roll oscillations, decided it was most likely the slightly bent blade
  • Replaced blade, much better. Occasional Roll oscillations but flying nicely
  • Dropped the Roll gains back, mostly on the I rather than P gains which I'd cranked pretty up to over 3x the P (they recommend 2x as a good starting point). Very nice to fly, only the very occasional Roll oscillation
  • Tried the Bank2 settings (slightly higher gains on both R and P) and instant oscilllations plus virtually uncontrollable -crash!
  • Dropped a set of stock blades in, bloody awful! Had forgotten how bad these are and what an improvement the Xtreme blades are. Blown backwards into the trees!

Had a play afterwards and found some of the issue with Bank 2. The CC3D hasn't been switching into Attitude/3G for a while, plus Bank 3 has consistently been oscillating badly even with the same settings as the other banks. I copied the Bank1 settings exactly over to 2 and 3 (there's a function where you can copy settings to other banks). Bank 1 is pretty nice, Bank2 oscillating and pretty much unflyable, Bank3 oscillating but flyable. I checked and Bank2 was still setup on Rate/3G, so switched it to Attitude and it does pretty much the same as Bank3 (also set on Attitude) but is flyable like this. Weird!

So at this stage it looks as though the Bank1 settings aren't working on the other 2 banks, so will probably try dialling the Bank 2/3 gains right back to see if I can get rid of the oscillations. Would be good to do some tuning in Rate mode though as it's the basis on top of which the accelerometer input is added... But nice to finally be able to fly the bird decently (with the right blades of course and on Bank1)!

.UAV file is below.

CC3D Outdoor With Swash Mixing & The Broken Xtreme Blades (6 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Flyingboats; Nov 19, 2016 at 02:51 PM.
Nov 19, 2016, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Ran some indoor flights yesterday to attempt to get rid of the wriggles on Bank2. Managed it successfully but the gain values are around half those on Bank1 which is still flying really nicely. Go figure that! Have copied the values from my tracking spreadsheet below. I find the spreadsheet really helps as you try so many different things and my memory doesn't do such a good job. I file each test .UAV file as well so at any time I can go back to something that may have showed promise and branch off in a different direction.

Certainly have been a few bugs in LibrePilot/OpenPilot, it's normally possible to work around them. Wouldn't want these issues with a 450 or larger, that would be expensive!

Haven't test flown these outside, but indoor flights with the stock blades as Ric had suggested was a fast way of making improvements to the setup.
Nov 26, 2016, 02:58 AM
Thread OP
Great outside flights today. Have chucked some Xtreme 6 degree blades back in but they're a completely unmatched set as one blade is over 0.5 grams heavier than the other (a lot, nearly a 10% variance!). Took three complete wraps of electrical tape to balance them but I'm still getting roll oscillations, so looking forward to the new blades which are on their way.

Anyway up in a very difficult wind direction. Wind was coming from behind and a little over the right shoulder. This direction swirls down past the neighbours house and over the trees behind me and produces a real mixture of up and down drafts. A great test of the CC3D setup and it coped with it very well!

First video on the new Mobius Mini and uploaded in 1080P. Seriously impressed so far, nice improvement from the old 808-16 cam with good quality video and decent still frames.

FX71 CC3D Outside in the wind (4 min 46 sec)
Nov 26, 2016, 03:58 AM
Thread OP
And now for something even better! 6 axis with no maximum banking limits plus increased rates of angle change. Wowee! Can really now say the CC3D is offering some seriously good features and performance.

FX71 CC3D 6 Axis with unlimited bank angles -wild! (3 min 47 sec)
Nov 26, 2016, 02:32 PM
Yikes, that is crazy !

Quick Reply