This thread is privately moderated by dmrcflyr2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 02, 2015, 04:02 PM
Cat Man
Thread OP
Build Log

Fred Reese Cloud Dancer RCM Plan 1146

Since getting my Saito twin cylinder engines I have been flying them on the Value Hobby Easy Stik. That was always intended to be my test bed verification airplane for these engines. However one might always stay on the Stik as it is a sweet combination. My intention all along was to build an airplane for one of these engines. I had to access the power, reliability, and flight times for these engines and that was the role of the Easy Stik. Once I felt comfortable with the engines I set out to find a suitable airframe. I did not want to do the typical Cub that you would find one of these engines in.

After some research I decided on the Fred Reese Cloud Dancer 60. I already had the plans for it. I bought them back in the late nineties and reduced them for my first scratch build; a 40 size Cloud Dancer. That was one of the best flying airplanes I have ever owned. A fellow modeler and RCG member, Balsaworkbench, provided me with some very nice laser cut parts and all I had to do was buy the remainder of the wood.

I started this build on Saturday August 1st, yesterday. I began with the tail feathers. They are a simple frame structure and took no time at all to complete. I moved on to the fuselage after that and got 90% of it completed yesterday as well.

Today I began on the wing and as of now have about 90% of the wing panels completed also.

This is a very standard and easy model to build and there are no special instructions, techniques, or materials required and a modeler with several builds under their belt should have no issues with.

I am waiting for some new servos to arrive so I can complete the installation of the mounts for them and then finish the wing.

I need to drill the engine mount, throttle, and fuel line holes on the firewall before attaching it to the frame. Then I can complete the stringer installation and sheeting of the fuselage. I will also be placing the elevator and rudder servos in the aft of the fuse to help offset the weight of the engine. Once those things are done the installation of the fuel tank, throttle servos, RX, and battery can be roughed in. After that covering will be next. I am hoping to have this completed by the third week of the month, but at the pace I am going it could be sooner.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2015, 09:52 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
This is a very beautiful flying airplane. I've had my for over 10 years now and still flying. I only take it out now once or twice a year as it has become almost like family. When landing I always have to extend my final as it glides like crazy. Now days I'm more into Quads and FPV than pattern and this plane will do it all.

Quick Reply