This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 02, 2015, 04:03 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
Mini-Review

HobbyKing 540W 30A PSU

I have been looking for a bench PSU for my chargers for a while and my modified 300W PSU with a lightbulb on the 5v rail to keep the 12v side in check has really been playing up so Last week i purchased the HobbyKing 540W 30A PSU

Spec is 13.8 to 18V at 30A so its pretty beefy and should give me enough power to charge everything iv got, it has duel post outputs and an pot on one side to just voltage.

On the other is Main in and power switch

As you can see from the pictures it has duel cooling fans one on each side.

After firing it up and charging a couple of packs i noticed a strong burning smell in the room, after investigation i spotted a small whips of smoke coming from one of the fan's, i also noted nether of them was running but they felt hot.

After some investigations and looking on line it seems quite a common issue with this PSU, the fans are voltage controlled and at low temperature the output to them is so rough its not enough to turn the fans and they over heat, after some digging a simple fix it so install a capacitor on each fan to smooth the supply.

So i removed the covers and had a dig around,

Both fans have there own connector covered in the yellow sealer you can see, after prising them out i soldered a 100uf 50v cap onto each plug and covered in glue gun glue to hold in place.

Once done i fires it up and tested again , this time the fans run constantly even when cold at low speed, A very simple fix that should be done at the factory.

after using it for a while with the cover off the smell was building again, slightly different this time more chemically, after having another dig around i found that two ceramic resistors get very hot when in use

These were completely covered in the Yellow glue and it was smelling when getting hot, i removed the glue of each one and tested again, this time the small was almost all gone.

Final conclusions.

This is a good PSU apart from one major design flaw, just no excuse for this TBH, after the small mod it seems to work well, Time will tell how reliable it is.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply