Aug 01, 2015, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lets Make New AR6 Molds

Well, got a list going so I need to get started on new molds, I fought with the idea of not making molds and doing some improvements after they came out of old molds but I decided that the work and expense to make new molds and make them the way I like will pay off at the end.

Today I started by making some balsa skins for the wing plug, I thought the best way to make the plug is to make the wing somewhat as a real wing just leaving out the carbon spar caps and adding a couple of extra spars to help hold its shape, tomorrow I will vacuum bag the skins into the molds and join monday if we do not go to the beach.

Next weekend I will layup the fuselage plug and tail plug so I can start making a few changes

stay tuned
DE
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2015, 07:19 AM
Wahoo! That's great news Dave! I can't wait to see some new ones come to life!
Aug 02, 2015, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Well, looks like I need to make a trip to San Diego today so not much work on this but did a little by starting wing plug from old mold.

Also been emailing back and forth with Dan Kane and he about has me talked into plug in stabs, he has taken a bit of time to explain the process to me and it doesnt seem that hard so now I am leaning towards yes on that, should help to save on shipping...
Aug 10, 2015, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
Nothing to exciting, got the wing and stabilizer plugs out of the molds, will get fuselage plug out next weekend and will start cutting and smoothing a few things in prep for new molds...

I just got off the phone with a buddy from Chicago that used to race with us and think he may go to the Nats with me next year, Clark "Buckwheat" Wade, there wont be a dull moment with him around! He even won the Nats in F1 one year proving every dog has his day... Of course he hasnt flown a model in 6 years since I made him a ashley that he crashed on landing in Phoenix (it lasted 12 flights, we put hash-marks on the wing for every successful flight) but before that it had been 15 years since he flew, so I told him he was ahead of the game...
Aug 10, 2015, 06:11 PM
That's awesome!! He sounds like a real hoot! Can't wait to meet him! I love the NATS story with"former national champion" written across his wing while runnin on fumes! Funny stuff!!... Tom Scott brought that F1 out! Nice Plane! Almost raced it on the video I posted, but the motor had a slight issue on the line. Team Jett took that round lol I heard it was fast though!
Aug 10, 2015, 08:41 PM

Name

If you look closely at the cockpit it says "Buckwheat" right under Experimental! Is that cool or what?! I love seeing these real deal planes still in existence tearing up the sky!! Good stuff!!
Aug 10, 2015, 08:42 PM
Here it is!
Aug 10, 2015, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Yup, that is a Shinohara plane, I will email Buckwheat a pic and tell him it was at the nats this year...
Last edited by D.English; Aug 11, 2015 at 05:58 AM.
Aug 10, 2015, 10:04 PM
NMPRA 34C
Kaze.
Aug 10, 2015, 10:09 PM
NMPRA 34C
AR looks great Dave. How much vacuum are you pulling when you mold parts? I just built a new bagging system so I can crank out Quickie wings. Did a test piece of 1lbs EPS foam; only needs 3" or so El-smashoooo ..... Looks like my pump will pull about 21".

Dave
Aug 11, 2015, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Yost
AR looks great Dave. How much vacuum are you pulling when you mold parts? I just built a new bagging system so I can crank out Quickie wings. Did a test piece of 1lbs EPS foam; only needs 3" or so El-smashoooo ..... Looks like my pump will pull about 21".

Dave
Skins into a mold I just let it go full, around 21"
Aug 11, 2015, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak1
That's awesome!! He sounds like a real hoot! Can't wait to meet him! I love the NATS story with"former national champion" written across his wing while runnin on fumes! Funny stuff!!... Tom Scott brought that F1 out! Nice Plane! Almost raced it on the video I posted, but the motor had a slight issue on the line. Team Jett took that round lol I heard it was fast though!
That Form 1, was given to me by Clark "BUCKWHEAT" Wade. A couple of years ago. It is a Kaze built by Jim Shinohara. I used to race it when we flew F1. I loaned it to Tom Scott as he wanted to fly a modern F1. Tom has been racing forever and just hadn't flown this version of F1, (His version goes back to side exhaust, airplanes with people named Debolt, and Weiwrick (SP)). The airplane still belongs to Clark. And I have just held onto to it for him for the last 20 years! And it has the battle scares to show I dinged it up as well.

Well the issue with the motor was that the spinner was rubbing on the fuselage. So it was shut down until we could add a spacer "LYLE WASHER" to the collett to get more clearance. Otherwise the motor ran perfect!!!!

I hope Clark comes back. Buckwheat it is "O-TAY" to come back and play with us!

DK
Last edited by dkane; Aug 11, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Aug 11, 2015, 07:54 AM
Thread OP
Buckwheat said, "thats like giving a kid a loaded gun", I said "so you shoot yourself in the foot",we werent any good then when we practiced, should be better now.

Need to work on Shadwell...

He had me laughing so hard, just like when we fly in a heat, one of us does a big OOOPS and then it is hard to get back onto the course when you both are laughing...
Aug 11, 2015, 08:38 AM
That's great stuff! Having fun with this crazy hobby is what it's all about! If it was about the money we would all be in trouble! lol Great to hear the guys getting back involved! DK, It is so cool how you and the guys have put the effort to keep these F1's alive! I still have that wonderful sound stuck in my head from the NATS! Kind of a "ringy" sound!
Aug 11, 2015, 09:32 AM
Dennis Cranfill was the biggest reason why we are doing it. When Bill Hager passed away, Dennis was given Bill's F1s. And instead of letting them sit, he decided to fly them to honor Bill. Then he got an airplane from Richard Oliver and that is the Toni Travis has been flying the last couple of years. Randy Bridge had never flown a Form 1 so Dennis O'Brien set one up for Randy to fly. Dennis's was another Jim Shinohara built Kaze. Lastly Ray Brown bought an airplane from Darrol Cady, but the wing got damaged in shipping so he put on a Strega QM wing. This was what we had done up to last year. This year Duane and Gordon added theirs to the mix as well as Kurt, (speedfreak1) who was flying a Bob Brogdon long wing Kaze, and Mike Helsel who flew Kurt's (used to be Craig Korsen's) Larson Shark.

If we get a couple more next year, we definitely will do a better job of getting a couple of heats in.

And the "ringing" is one of those things that makes it fun!!

DK

Quick Reply