Oct 26, 2020, 11:29 AM

An update on my Feiyue

Hi folks. This is an update on what I have finally finished. I got the spacer made so I was able to mount the 540 brushed motor. I was having some trouble with the old motor getting hot but so far with the new 540 it is running a lot cooler. I have attached a pic showing the new motor., and also showing the new tires and rims.
I did notice one more thing with the new motor. This new 35 turn motor sure did slow her down some, but I did hear something that I do not like. When I give her some quick throttle or she gets stuck between two rocks and give her throttle she "screams" The noise is coming from the area of the trans. I only changed the motor and pinion out and touched nothing else. She did make this "screaming" with the old motor and stock tires but not very loud. Now with the new motor and bigger tires the "screaming" is much louder. When I give her a little bit of throttle all is good and she runs well.
Now is the 'screaming" coming from the slipper???? The noise does seem to be coming from that area.
I cannot seem to adjust the slipper but again not sure if I am doing it right.
Does anyone have any possible answers to what is going on and then how to fix it.
All suggestions appreciated.
Regards
Tar
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 11:46 AM
That might just be your clutch, yes. Mine is fully tightened. I run a Mabuchi silver can and love it with a 26t pinion. Lock that slipper and be sensible with your throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oct 27, 2020, 05:51 AM
Hi folks. thank you Hugo for your suggestion. I am not sure how to adjust the clutch. When I tried to put a wrench on the nut at the end of the slipper the whole slipper moved. What is the secret to do this. Also should I tighten it right down.
I am getting closer to what I want to do but this little set back has me stumped.
Any help would be great.
Now one more question. I would like to lock the front diff and rear diff on my Feiyue. Has anyone done this and if so how was it.
I still think she will make a pretty good crawler once I get her finished, but did notice with all 4 wheels turning she will do better.
Again any help is great.
regards
Tar
Oct 27, 2020, 02:37 PM
I had mines diffs locked. Its really awesome but with a 540 on them it it eventually stripped. Buy spares before you do it. I locked mine with epoxy in the diff housings. Im running open diffs now and its still cool.

I ran a 24t pinion with a 45t motor with the locked diffs and it crawled quite well though.

You need to lock your gearbox somehow and tighten that slipper nut down hard.

Oct 28, 2020, 05:19 AM
Thanks Hugo for the comment.
I will have to try and figure out how to lock up the trans. I guess I did not know that the slipper would be that hard to adjust. It seems that the stuff on YouTube seem to adjust the slipper fairly easy. None of the ones that I watched had a very hard time to adjust the slipper or so it seems.
Has anyone tried to lock the trans with some success? Any secrets. Or is it just the Feiyue that is difficult?
Hugo you mentioned that the gears were stripped in the rear axle. which gears did you find that broke. The rear axle seems to be fairly easy to lock up but I have no idea how the front one would be.
I think that I will try a 45 turn motor to see if I can slow her down some more. She is slower now than before so going in the right direction.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Regards
Tar
Oct 28, 2020, 05:35 AM
What you pick for a motor gets you close. The gearing, afterward should take care of the rest. If you have a 35 turn motor, go with it and try swapping gears before you spend more money on another motor. JMHO.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:54 AM
I lost the pinion and spur on both diffs. But that was because of abuse mostly.

Drop some teeth on your motor pinion to get better gearing for slow driving too.

Oct 28, 2020, 10:50 AM
This guy drives me nuts because he's hard to understand, but his videos are pretty good if you get by that. You'll see what he does to get to the transmission gears. The cover over the spur and pinion has to come off and that exposes the spur gear that you need to get to while tightening the slipper nut. He doesn't make any effort to set up the slipper, though. With the gear exposed, you should be able to hold it while tightening the nut.

Feiyue FY03 Upgrade Metal Gearbox Gears and Re-Build|Project Full Metal Drive Train (5 min 28 sec)
Oct 29, 2020, 05:56 AM
Hi folks. Thank you Kodak Jack for the video. I had already watched that one and understand what he did. He is not the easiest to listen to but he seems to know his stuff. After taking that cover off, I still have not figured out how to keep the spur from moving. He did not even mention the adjustment of the slipper either. My rig is going along much better now, meaning slower, and I am happy with it, but have to be very careful not to make the slipper make noise. I intend to try another pinion and maybe even a spur to try and slow it down more. I really like my Feiyue but for me and where I am it was just too fast. Maybe I just might try a 45 turn motor to see what that gives me. I will remember not to abuse it so the gears in the rear end do not strip now I know what might happen. Thanks Hugo.
It seems that all of the videos about slipper clutches and how to adjust them they use a socket and it seems to be very easy.
Oh what am I doing wrong here?????
Maybe I should just get another slipper and install that one new. I am really not sure what to do.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks again
Regards
Tar
Oct 29, 2020, 05:58 PM
With the cover off can you grab the edges of the spur and hold it with a tool (pliers?) while you tighten the nut for more tension? If the tension is maxed out, I wonder if there are better slipper pads available? Other vehicles, with slippers, put a heck of a lot more stress on their gears by beating the living you know what out of them.
Oct 30, 2020, 05:40 AM
Morning folks. Thanks Kodak_Jack for that suggestion. I will look at it again to see if I can get pliers on it or someway to hold the spur.
As I said on other videos that I have watched about setting up the slipper nobody seemed to have much trouble doing it. I must be missing something.
I think that I will order another slipper for the Feiyue and then change it over to see if that helps.
In this case I am really not sure what to do to fix this.
I will try what has been suggested first to see how that goes. But to me and I may be wrong but you should not have to hold the spur to adjust the slipper.
Thanks folks for the suggestions.
Regards
Tar
Oct 30, 2020, 06:34 AM
You are probably right about the slipper adjustment. It shouldn't be that hard. That being said, I know Traxxas guys sometimes eliminate the slipper. The WLtoys 12428 is a competitor of the FY-03 and it does not have a slipper clutch and runs fine without one.
This is the pad I found on Banggood:

https://usa.banggood.com/Feiyue-Clut...r_warehouse=CN

OBTW, these are the metal gears the guy put into the transmission in the video. The picture shows three different size gears, but his came with two that were the same size.

https://usa.banggood.com/Feiyue-FY-0...r_warehouse=CN

This is a crazy price for the entire drop-in gear/ clutch assembly. If you bought these parts separately, they would be a good 4X the price they show! Why bother with a new clutch pad when you can just drop this in?

https://usa.banggood.com/Feiyue-FY01...r_warehouse=CN

NOTE:
If you go to Banggood's FY-03 upgrade parts, it's down to 1 page, and most of the parts they show are bling/ dress-up parts. I've seen this with many other vehicles too. Things change so rapidly that vehicles go out of vogue and parts dry up.
Oct 31, 2020, 06:04 AM
Morning folks. I would like to put a big shout out to kodak_jack for his help with this. What he suggested worked like a charm. I used pliers (very gently mind you) to hold the spur (again lightly) but enough so that I could work the nut in. I finally got it adjusted to where it worked very well with no squealing.
Now I am beginning to see the light in the tunnel with this and now can move onto getting her slowed down a bit more.
I am going to be looking into pinions to see what is out there. I have put a 17 tooth pinion on her now but going to look to see if I can find a 10 tooth to maybe slow her down a bit more. But all in all she is getting better. I also have put 1/4 oz wheel weights on the two front wheels and that has helped some with keeping the front on the ground and digging in.
Now I have some more work to figure the rest out.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped out with suggestions and comments.
I will keep everyone posted on how the next step goes.
Regards
Tar
Oct 31, 2020, 12:16 PM
Reap the wild wind
Tar18, you'll find lower gearing will have a much bigger effect than changing the motor for one with a higher number of turns (lower revving)
I tried a number of motors in my FTX Outlaw in an effort to slow it down. Unfortunatly the motor mount is fixed so changing gearing wasn't an easy option. In the end I went for an SCX10 gearbox but that might be a tight squeeze in a smaller 1/12th car.
I added 4ws for good measure. Now it'll beat my Wraith 2.2 across some terrain
FTX Outlaw crawler conversion, four wheel steering test (4 min 44 sec)

Andy
Nov 01, 2020, 05:47 AM
Good morning folks. Andy thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of trying to find some pinion gears for it. I have a 17 tooth pinion on her now but thought of going to a 10 tooth pinion but have had no luck finding one.
anyone have an idea where I might get some pinions?? I also thought of getting a different spur gear but again not sure where to get them.
Oh by the way I tried to follow it but not sure. Do you have the rear steer independent of the front or together?
I have a 1/10 scale that I am thinking of doing that over the winter.
Again thanks for all of the suggestions.
Regards
Tar

Quick Reply