Jan 01, 2020, 06:29 AM
I have the WLToys 12428 and wanted a 3-wire servo. I ordered one that many were happy with on their FY buggies only to find out that the servo shaft is smaller and nothing typically used by other brands would fit! I never would have expected that.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2020, 11:33 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
You could have asked first - as usual.

21T Servo horn. Standard for these servos.

WLToys uses 25T.
Jan 01, 2020, 01:38 PM
Just about everybody out there uses a 25 tooth arm, who woulda thunk? Guys are constantly picking up builds and ideas between the two buggies. I never thought they would be different.
Jan 12, 2020, 08:18 AM
I got an FY03H brushless over Christmas and the ESC has fried on almost the first run (tried it very briefly with a 3S lipo and it wasn't the same again afterwards).
Is there a good option for replacing either the ESC or the motor and the ESC, I found this on banggood but I'm new to RC Cars (have built a few planes) and I'm not sure if it will fit or if I need to get a new pinion to go with it.
Ideally I'd like it to be 3S capable as I've got plenty of them from my planes but keeping the speed sensible.
Sorry for all the noob questions!
Jan 12, 2020, 01:03 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
3s and a 4000 KV motor is far beyond any capabilities of this car. Even if you use a 9T pinion.

I have installed a 1850kv motor and even geared it down wit a 16T pinion. Still fast enough on 2S for me.

If you still want to use 3s batteries, use a ~ 2kV motor and a 9-11T motor pinion. That's still more than the chassis can handle in any aspect.

You may have a look in my blog to see how I solved the swap. YMMV.
Jan 13, 2020, 07:53 AM
@eadipus : kiwi_craig made this chart showings results with various motors/battery/pinion combination. The "stk" line refers to the stock FY03.
It would help to choose the best parts:

I'm using this kit https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023101771.html (3100kv) with stock pinion size and a 2S LiPo.

(Original post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...05&postcount=1)
Jan 13, 2020, 04:24 PM
thanks for the helpful advice, I don't have a huge amount of space to play in so slower and torquier probably makes the most sense.

the big motor with the adapter looks incredible but unfortunately I don't have access to a 3D printer

That bundle seems to be the way to go and I think I'll get a range of pinions and start in the middle and see how I feel about things.

Also going to abandon the 3S plan for now, is 1500mah a sensible size to fit in without having to modify anything?
Jan 13, 2020, 04:30 PM
I'm using 2S 2200mah 35C Zop Power, they fit perfectly in the stock battery tray.
https://www.banggood.com/ZOP-Power-7...r_warehouse=CN
Jan 14, 2020, 01:52 PM
The chart is going to come in handy as I have a brushless FY-03 coming from a sale I did with a fellow member. It comes with several pinions. I hope to get the right one installed. I don't need to set any land speed records, but like the reliability of brushless.
Jan 15, 2020, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany
3s and a 4000 KV motor is far beyond any capabilities of this car. Even if you use a 9T pinion.

I have installed a 1850kv motor and even geared it down wit a 16T pinion. Still fast enough on 2S for me.

If you still want to use 3s batteries, use a ~ 2kV motor and a 9-11T motor pinion. That's still more than the chassis can handle in any aspect.

You may have a look in my blog to see how I solved the swap. YMMV.
Exactly true. I am using 2845 3930kv motor with 9t pinion. Produces amazing torque but braking too hard (set for esc %25) ,front differantial (generally internal gears) constantly breaking and abrasion(graze). I changed 4times front diff and 2 times rear diff .I've also tried the upgraded diff and front axles. That's still more than the diff gears and front axles can handle in any aspect.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osos11
Exactly true. I am using 2845 3930kv motor with 9t pinion. Produces amazing torque but braking too hard (set for esc %25) ,front differantial (generally internal gears) constantly breaking and abrasion(graze). I changed 4times front diff and 2 times rear diff .I've also tried the upgraded diff and front axles. That's still more than the diff gears and front axles can handle in any aspect.
Surely there is a metal gear set somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jan 17, 2020, 11:27 PM
When installing a brushless system, it is recommended to get a programming card that lets you choose the braking between forward and reverse or letting your finger off of the throttle. One option is to use no brake, in which the car rolls after you let your finger off. I have read of a similar problem with guys putting brushless systems into the new WLToys 144001. In addition to wear on the diff gears, it also wears the drive cups that their dog bone axles engage = too mach stress.
Jan 18, 2020, 05:47 AM
Reap the wild wind
Reminds me of my first foray into rc cars. I bought a used HK Sandstorm 2wd buggy which I ran down the road at full speed. I applied the brake which caused everything to lock up sending the poor thing into massive roll of death. Well, death for the gearbox at any rate. It's still in bits in the garage!
Jan 19, 2020, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
When installing a brushless system, it is recommended to get a programming card that lets you choose the braking between forward and reverse or letting your finger off of the throttle. One option is to use no brake, in which the car rolls after you let your finger off. I have read of a similar problem with guys putting brushless systems into the new WLToys 144001. In addition to wear on the diff gears, it also wears the drive cups that their dog bone axles engage = too mach stress.
I installed wltoys 12428 front axles for feiyue.
I drove full speed. The left front axle broke in the first hard brake.
I think ,helical differantial gear can be more durable but not produced for feiyue
Jan 19, 2020, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osos11
I installed wltoys 12428 front axles for feiyue.
I drove full speed. The left front axle broke in the first hard brake.
I think ,helical differantial gear can be more durable but not produced for feiyue
I didn't think the dog bone axles and cups could be used with an FY gearbox and front drive. Maybe someone else with more FY experience can add something. I just got mine.

Quick Reply