Mini Fabrikator 3d Printer by Tiny Boy - Page 165 - RC Groups
Mar 29, 2017, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_HK
I just thought I would let you guys know that the V2 is now available. If you thought the original Mini Fabrikators were good, you are going to love this one.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fabrikat...blue-m100.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fabrikat...lver-m100.html
When it is expected to arrive in EU ? I need one as a birthday present, it is either Fabrikator2 or the MeCreator2 (more volume, twice the price).
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2017, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
When it is expected to arrive in EU ? I need one as a birthday present, it is either Fabrikator2 or the MeCreator2 (more volume, twice the price).
We are looking at about six weeks into the EU warehouse, but international shipping is very fluid so it could sooner or it could be later.
Mar 31, 2017, 02:36 AM
Look for the bare necessities.
International shipping to Germany was 1 day(!) for me.

I've just done my first benchy in PETG which looks fine, but a little stringy. And I need to adjust the heated bed. But I can give you my first thoughts:

Nice features:
  • heated bed
  • bigger print volume than V1: 10x10x10cm
  • USB, wifi(?), SD-Card
  • temperature controlled fan for electronics in bottom
  • nice feet
  • filament cooling fan
  • movement seems faster than V1 for X and Y
  • setting it up in S3D was very simple

Neutrals
  • more flexible bed levelling, but more difficult than the one screw in V1 too
  • probably not as easy to mod like the V1 that I had equipped with LED strips for example

Negatives:
  • manual is supposed to be on the SD-Card, it wasn't.
  • extruder is not metal like on V1, no adjustment screw?
  • Z is slow
  • hotend was completely touching the bed when homed (might have been shifted in transport)
  • filament cooling fan is always on when hotend > 50C
  • software on SD-card is windows only. I am still looking into how to get wifi, etc. running on a Mac.
  • loud "hissing" sound with motors enabled
  • Y home is behind the bed. You can even see it in the video when he uses the piece of paper to calibrate the first point of the bed at around 4:19

Questions I have:
  • What controller board / firmware is used? (Probably not open source, see below)
  • Wifi support on a Mac?
  • How to take apart the hotend in case of problems?
  • Is the wifi feature something cloud based?

The hotend looks like the one on the MP Select Mini (Malyan M200).
The software to setup Wifi is called "Malyan Link 1.0.1 Setup".
The German translation of the product pages lists it as "Fabrikator mini II BLUE M100".
This is a Malyan M100.

Video:
Mini Fabrikator V2 3D Printer - HobbyKing Product Profile (20 min 39 sec)
Last edited by BaluBalu; Mar 31, 2017 at 04:38 AM.
Apr 06, 2017, 10:47 PM
Hi all, just bought the new Fabrikator Mini 2 and look forward to my first ever 3D print
I am hearing this thing is pretty noisy/squeaky. Is the v1 like that too?
Apr 07, 2017, 11:10 AM
3Dog Modeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengor
I am hearing this thing is pretty noisy/squeaky. Is the v1 like that too?
Neither of mine are noisy...very quiet operation.
Apr 07, 2017, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade2k
Neither of mine are noisy...very quiet operation.
That's good to hear. The YouTube attachment is my friend's v2 printing. Does it sound the same as yours?

Fabrikator Mini 2 (1 min 2 sec)
Apr 09, 2017, 03:28 PM
3Dog Modeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengor
That's good to hear. The YouTube attachment is my friend's v2 printing. Does it sound the same as yours?

https://youtu.be/s9bsOZHrk7Q
The sound is "brighter" than what mine sound like, but that could be the mic of whatever was used to record and it could also be the fact that everything is made of Aluminum now, which has an inherent "brightness" to reverberations...
Apr 21, 2017, 02:57 AM
Thank you tinyfab2046!
I finally managed to install heat bed to my fab.mini V1.5.
First i tried 15W configuration but it was too weak, i wasnt
able to reach higher temp. than 40C.
With full configuration it's nice (also replaced power adapter to 10A version), currently printing PLA with 65C using heat resistant glass, havent yet tried ABS temp.
Apr 26, 2017, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmatrix
Thank you tinyfab2046!
I finally managed to install heat bed to my fab.mini V1.5.
First i tried 15W configuration but it was too weak, i wasnt
able to reach higher temp. than 40C.
With full configuration it's nice (also replaced power adapter to 10A version), currently printing PLA with 65C using heat resistant glass, havent yet tried ABS temp.
Awesome glad you like it. You have the black Eco version heatbed which cannot deliver as much current as the white one but it will work just as good just take s a little longer to heat up .
Apr 26, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyfab2046
Awesome glad you like it. You have the black Eco version heatbed which cannot deliver as much current as the white one but it will work just as good just take s a little longer to heat up .
Ok. Thats the reason why my board half config was so weak. The Eco board is fine but I'll try the Premium version too
Thanks.
Last edited by mcmatrix; Apr 27, 2017 at 12:16 AM.
May 13, 2017, 01:29 AM

Fabrikator II Mini - Z-axis Problem

I am hoping someone here has some knowledge of the mechanism that controls the Z-axis on the Fabrikator II Mini. Mine arrived in the mail a few days ago in apparently good condition. However, when I tried working through the setup procedure it became obvious that there was a problem in that the extruder plate could be moved in the X-axis and the Y-axis correctly but the Z-axis could only be raised and not lowered. An inspection showed that the threaded rod for the Z-axis has no physical connection to the extruder plate. Looking at the attached photo you can see two elongated brass nuts which seem to fit nicely into a black plastic housing on the extruder plate and as the threaded rod rotates it will drive the extruder plate up, however when the threaded rod rotation reverses the brass nuts just wind out of the black plastic housing leaving the extruder plate where it was (surely the extruder plate is not meant to drop down just by gravity; the extruder plate bronze bushes on mine are quite a tight fit on the parallel rails and definitely would not drop by gravity).

There is also a steel nut hanging about loosely on the threaded rod and it is too large to actually engage with the thread so I am not sure what it's purpose is, other than perhaps it is somehow meant to capture the two brass nuts in that black housing on the extruder plate.

Sorry this is so long winded but the problem takes some explaining.

Does anyone know what drives the extruder plate down?
May 13, 2017, 01:59 AM
That doesn't look right. Here are a couple of pics from mine, let me know if you need more.
May 14, 2017, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp
That doesn't look right. Here are a couple of pics from mine, let me know if you need more.
Thanks for those photos; that looks something like what I was imagining it could be. The two brass nuts go up inside the black plastic housing and the steel nut must be a tight press fit into the housing to hold it all in place; a little bit crude but I assume it does the job.

Mine must have got a jolt in the post and caused the steel nut to leave the black plastic housing. Looks like I have a dismantling job to do in order to make it right, as the return postage for warranty would be obscene via Australia Post.
May 14, 2017, 01:17 AM
No worries, let me know if you need more. Also, could it be worth a shot contacting HK maybe they are willing to cover the shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4565
Thanks for those photos; that looks something like what I was imagining it could be. The two brass nuts go up inside the black plastic housing and the steel nut must be a tight press fit into the housing to hold it all in place; a little bit crude but I assume it does the job.

Mine must have got a jolt in the post and caused the steel nut to leave the black plastic housing. Looks like I have a dismantling job to do in order to make it right, as the return postage for warranty would be obscene via Australia Post.
May 15, 2017, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp
No worries, let me know if you need more. Also, could it be worth a shot contacting HK maybe they are willing to cover the shipping?
Contacting Hobby King was an option, but one of last resort as they would require a video of it 'not working' and then the hassle of packing it up to post back.

Anyway, no need to consider that option further as it's all fixed now and working like a new one; it only took about 20 minutes to rebuild it the way it was supposed to be in the first place. I've been able to manually drive the bed and extruder to do the bed levelling, but I'm yet to do a test print.