Jul 26, 2015, 02:59 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Discussion

Customized Reptile 500 w/ wood booms

Customized Reptile 500
I am almost done converting my Reptile 500 to a wood boom rig. Just thought I'd post a pic showing my progress and get some feedback from you guys. What do you think?

I made the arms an inch longer than the stock flamewheel arms. When I test flew the rig, I was amazed at how much better the video was being that the wood is a much better vibration dampener. I have been using ND filters to get rid of the jello in my video, but after making these arms, the jello was almost non existing without any filters in the test flight I had. I have led's left to mount and a couple other finishing touches, but thus far I think it's looking pretty decent. I used some very light bass wood and 1" dowel that I found at Micheals. Eventually, I'd like to do another conversion to Carbon fiber booms with aluminum tube clamps.

The new wood arms are only about 20 grams heavier than stock, and my SS x2212-13 980kv motors still have no trouble lifting the 1800gr setup, but I am thinking about upsizing the motors or switching to 4s to see about extending my flight times. Was getting 9 minutes on 3s 5000mah before the conversion, and a hover test after the conversion gave me 8 and a half. Any suggestions?

I will post finished pictures with all the bling once completed.
Thanks!
Last edited by SiLVeRFoX FLYiNG; Jul 26, 2015 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2015, 02:40 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
A few more pics with LEDs now on!
Jul 29, 2015, 02:38 PM
Wood is good! Switch to carbon and aluminum? And loose all the gains? The little fat you did gain can be eliminated with much smaller wood. 1" dowel a foot long can support a tower of cheerleader s! I don't see those forces coming to bear naturaly on your arms. Keep up good work!
Jul 29, 2015, 06:53 PM
Gyro, SimonK n call it a day:)
Wood is very Good!!! Enjoy the smooth ride! +1 on the smaller size dowel IMHumbleO. Although the extra mass is good for damping vibes, as long as flight performance is still up to snuff.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:08 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Thanks for the input! Much appreciated. I went with a bigger diameter boom only for the fact that there isn't much room in the frame to fix the arms to the frame. I figured a larger diameter would give more surface area in the block attachments I designed to provide more stability. I hope the way I worded that makes sense?

I love the look and durability to weight ratio of carbon fiber, so that's why I plan to try another conversion in the future, but for the time being I am really happy with the way this conversion turned out. Next is to try and shed some weight where I can, starting with the gimbal. I'd like to try and lighten it by drilling out as much material in the motor housings, and perhaps making a new part for where the camera attaches to the gimbal to replace the stock aluminum part. I'd also like to try some other motors. Looking at the Quanum 3508 700kv's that hobbyking has for about 21 bucks each. I'm running 3s now , but eventually will move to 4s, and I'd like to get a 10,000mah and see how much sky time it gives me. This means replacing the esc's also, because I opted for the emax Simon series for my current setup and they are only good for 3s, to my knowledge. Gotta save up for all that, but the motors are such a good price right now, it would be hard to pass them up. Does anyone have experience with the quanum 3508's? Says their made by dys and I had some of their 1806's on my 250 mini quad and they worked great!
Aug 06, 2015, 02:39 AM
How did you mount the motors? Looks nice btw. I just bought the frame, and it looks like the bolts to mount the arms are to long and bottom out. And I bought DJI arms too. I guess I can try cut them down. But might go the wood route later. since ive heard great things about them.
Aug 06, 2015, 12:26 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
To mount the motors on the wood booms, I cut a flat spot on the motor end of the boom, then used the cross motor mounts and 4mm bolts and nuts with washers to mount to the arm. Only using two of the holes on the cross mounts, but the mounts are good and snug.

With mounting the motors on the stock arms... First off, I have been through a bunch of arms. I replaced all stock with some black ones that I bought at banggood and they seem much more durable than the stock arms. I haven't broke any of these arms yet. I also bought some dji arms, but they use 3mm screws to attach to the frame instead of the 2.5mm screws that come stock, so I haven't tried them yet. The black replacement arms I got at banggood are 2.5mm as well. On the motor end, the motors mount directly to the arm. No cross mount required for the stock or DJI arms. I bought proper length 3mm screws from my LHS for my motors and I think I paid more for the screws than the replacement arms from banggood!

Anyway, I hope this helps. What are you using your rig for? I was going to use it for an arial video platform, but I'm finding with the sunnysky x2212-13 980kv motors I have, it is right on the cusp of being too heavy with the wood arms and brushless gimbal. I removed the gimbal and hard mounted the action camera and now get estimated 14+minutes of flight with the wood arms. My plan is to change out the SS motors with some larger iPower MT2217 880kv motors that I found for sale. Hopefully this provides a little more power and longer flight times. We'll see!
Aug 08, 2015, 02:53 PM
Cool thanks. I figured you made a flat spot to mount the motors. I'm just messing around with this frame. Wanted something to replace my hk sk450 frame. Btw what gimbal did you have on there? I was thinking about a gimbal for this frame but it seems like more trouble than what its worth to mod a cheap bg gimbal with printed parts. I'll prob go with a multi frame route later on for a decent amateur aerial photo rig. if ya get a chance post a video of hard mount. i would like to see how it does. love the custom paint job.
Oct 12, 2015, 04:13 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Well... I have made the switch to carbon fiber booms on my custom Reptile 500 (which is now nearly a 600mm!) I bought the hobbyking S700/DIY carbon fiber arm kit.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=S700

I love the look! And the longer arms mean I should be able to run bigger props if I want. Also switched to Ready to Fly red series 30A esc's and iPower 2817 motors all capable of 4s.

I got the clamps to mount the 16mm cf booms to the frame from flyduino.net

http://flyduino.net/FCP-HL-16mm-shells-for-Centerplate

Switching to CF arms means the distance between the top and bottom frame plate is narrower, which made it interesting to mount the naza and all the other components including the esc's, which are now mounted on the body of the quad as well. Also, I moved the 2 axis gimbal mount from inside the nose of the frame to under the bottom frame plate to give more room. I think it looks better too!

I made some DIY landing gear by cutting up a 4" pvc sewer coupling and bending it with the heat gun.

I replaced the stock th9x receiver with a Fr-sky d8r-xp to run cppm and added the djt module as well. Need to figure out how to run the LED light kit now that I am going with cppm. I used to have it connected to an open channel on the receiver, but not sure if I can still do that with cppm. Haven't figured out that part yet.

Hoping to put power to it tomorrow and set up the FC. Stay tuned for thoughts about how it flies!

Let me know your thoughts in the meantime.

Quick Reply