Thread Tools
Oct 30, 2020, 11:02 AM
Registered User
Joe Pierson's Avatar
Hi Tony,
Very cool Love it! , If you are taking orders on the Mini Hawk, let me know?? I am in!!
Joe
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Oct 30, 2020 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added text
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2020, 05:58 PM
Registered User
ZOONOOZ's Avatar

Family portrait


First few orders ready to be shipped.
Oct 30, 2020, 06:32 PM
Registered User
gliderguide's Avatar
Oh man. Hawk pawn.... So good!!
Nov 02, 2020, 02:41 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
jmendoza's Avatar

Question for Tony


Hi Tony, love the Mini-Hawk.
My question is about the wings: What is the Mini-Hawks wingspan?
My other question is about the elliptical dihedral as the wings in your photo of the Mini-Hawk do not appear to have as much curve in the tips like an 8 footer. Is this because they were based on an 8 foot wing with clipped tips?

I'm guessing that since the fuselage and tail feathers are the same as an 8 foot Hawk, it would be possible to convert a standard Hawk into a Mini-Hawk by using the Mini-Hawk wings if the wing rod tube was the same.

Thanks for sharing,
Jay
Nov 02, 2020, 03:20 PM
It's not going to build itself
TRISME's Avatar
I have an original set of short HH wings I still need to try out. Maybe on a woody Wednesday at Kite hill.
Last edited by TRISME; Nov 02, 2020 at 07:42 PM.
Nov 02, 2020, 06:19 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
V1VrV2's Avatar
Jay,

The wingspan is 74" assembled. The fuselage, canopy and tail are the same as a production hawk and are interchangable.

As far as the curve in the wing goes, it is the same as the Superhawk G1 and G3 as the platens are made in the same jig. It looks like less "infini-hedral" because the Superhawk and original hawk wings curve all the way to the root and are 24" longer (for the 8 footers) and therefore the tips look higher (because they are).

I have an original pair of Hobie prototype 6 footers and the curvature matches the outer curve of the 8 foot wings. They look the same as the ones on the mini-hawk.

Below are attached pictures of six footers on a Hawk being flown by Hobie and you can see the wings have quite a bit of "dihedral" built in at the root but there is hardly any curvature in the wings. The curvature in the mini-hawk wings are the same as the outer panels on the Superhawks.

BTW, started working on the G3 fuselages today. Moving forward with that build for the Fall!





Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendoza
Hi Tony, love the Mini-Hawk.
My question is about the wings: What is the Mini-Hawks wingspan?
My other question is about the elliptical dihedral as the wings in your photo of the Mini-Hawk do not appear to have as much curve in the tips like an 8 footer. Is this because they were based on an 8 foot wing with clipped tips?

I'm guessing that since the fuselage and tail feathers are the same as an 8 foot Hawk, it would be possible to convert a standard Hawk into a Mini-Hawk by using the Mini-Hawk wings if the wing rod tube was the same.

Thanks for sharing,
Jay
Nov 02, 2020, 10:49 PM
Old newb
That looks like Kite Hill.....

I have some 6 foot wings that are likely cut down 8 foot.

I flew 7 footers on the prototype Hawk and it seemed to be be snappier. I rolled that Hawk easy.

In good slope lift it almost does not matter what wings you use so we’ll try the shorties some time.

Right now the slope gods hate us as we have not had much good wind at the coast for months. Short wing test will have to wait.
Nov 02, 2020, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Below are attached pictures of six footers on a Hawk being flown by Hobie and you can see the wings have quite a bit of "dihedral" built in at the root but there is hardly any curvature in the wings. The curvature in the mini-hawk wings are the same as the outer panels on the Superhawks.
Looks like the mini-hawk wings don't have this extra dihedral at the root. Anyone know how Hobie put it in? If it's in the drilling of the root for the rod, are the 6 footers you guys have drilled to give dihedral?

It surprises me that a magazine cover would have a picture of a Hobie Hawk with 6 foot wings.

Bill
Nov 02, 2020, 11:58 PM
Time to play!
Maj0rHav0c's Avatar
It might be the angle of the photo but, to me it looks like the chord is smaller than a standard HH wing?

Mike



Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2
Jay,

The wingspan is 74" assembled. The fuselage, canopy and tail are the same as a production hawk and are interchangable.

As far as the curve in the wing goes, it is the same as the Superhawk G1 and G3 as the platens are made in the same jig. It looks like less "infini-hedral" because the Superhawk and original hawk wings curve all the way to the root and are 24" longer (for the 8 footers) and therefore the tips look higher (because they are).

I have an original pair of Hobie prototype 6 footers and the curvature matches the outer curve of the 8 foot wings. They look the same as the ones on the mini-hawk.

Below are attached pictures of six footers on a Hawk being flown by Hobie and you can see the wings have quite a bit of "dihedral" built in at the root but there is hardly any curvature in the wings. The curvature in the mini-hawk wings are the same as the outer panels on the Superhawks.

BTW, started working on the G3 fuselages today. Moving forward with that build for the Fall!

Nov 03, 2020, 01:04 AM
Registered User
Thread OP

Wow


I have flown a hobie hawk about 45 years, and still learning new stuff about it's history.
Guys please keep it coming .
And Tony please build a batch of these shorty's ( if you have time)

Curt
Nov 03, 2020, 11:20 AM
Retired. Under new management.

Hobie Memorial in Dana Point


Went out walking in Dana Point yesterday and came upon this. They even had a mention of our beloved Hobie Hawk.
Nov 03, 2020, 02:20 PM
Old gasbag glider guy...
Stan Hinman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMegowan
Went out walking in Dana Point yesterday and came upon this. They even had a mention of our beloved Hobie Hawk.
Very cool Tony! Thanks for sharing.

Stan
Nov 04, 2020, 01:12 AM
Registered User
Thread OP

Yes!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMegowan
Went out walking in Dana Point yesterday and came upon this. They even had a mention of our beloved Hobie Hawk.
Very cool memorial for Hobie, I would like to go see it.

Curt
Nov 04, 2020, 10:52 AM
Registered User
landru's Avatar
I'd go out of my way to see it. Where is it exactly? I couldn't find it on Google maps.

Thanks.
Nov 04, 2020, 11:09 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
DWA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMegowan
Went out walking in Dana Point yesterday and came upon this. They even had a mention of our beloved Hobie Hawk.
Cool


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools