Sep 14, 2019, 04:30 PM
Good Luck with the surgery!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 09:20 AM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
You would think it was spring with all the Hobies popping up on ebay and RCGROUPS classified.......
Surgery is Tuesday on my knee.....I will let you all know how this new procedure works.
Bob
I have an old hang gliding buddy who is contemplating knee surgery, What's the scoop on the new procedure?
Sep 15, 2019, 12:12 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
Hope it goes well and you heal up fast Bob.

Green has always been a bad luck color for racers and flyers, I have seen many people shy away from it. Maybe the original owner was Irish!
Sep 15, 2019, 03:42 PM
I’m in the process of rebuilding a wrecked Hobie Hawk that was sitting in a storage shed for 30 years. The original canopy was broken, so I made a balsa mold to heat form a plastic Swifter box clear lid. The resultant canopy came out decent, but much thinner than the original, which for me not being a perfectionist is good enough. Heat formed a couple more canopies for a friend and spares. We can now have multiple canopies for different purposes. As for example, we are planning to hack a canopy to install an FPV camera.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:59 PM
Old newb
Should have asked, I have new production canopies...... Fit great.... Keep having fun....
Sep 16, 2019, 10:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
You would think it was spring with all the Hobies popping up on ebay and RCGROUPS classified.......
Surgery is Tuesday on my knee.....I will let you all know how this new procedure works.
Bob
Thoughts and Prayers for you Bob and your Surgery.

Curt
Sep 16, 2019, 09:36 PM
Old newb

Old School and Crunchy Fun Fly at Torrey Pines

This Saturday, the 21st of September, is the Old School and Crunchy Fest Day at Torrey Pines

Our Hawks are both Old School and Crunchy!

I will bring Purple Haze, my go to Hawk.

Who is coming????

I have a fresh Windward too. I doubt you will ever see one like it. Hint: I call it Red Baron.....

Plus a few other crunchies.

Come on down!
Sep 17, 2019, 12:09 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
Sounds like fun to me Walt.
Will try and make it but, first on that day the guys I worked with at Cox Hobbies are going to be attending Randy Heydon's memorial service at 10:00 am in Anaheim. Randy and I worked together in customer service fixing radios, engines and handling the walk-in customers. He would want me to go flying in his honor so I'll do my best to get to Torrey if time permits.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:39 PM

$500 Hobie Hawk on rcgroups

Another Hobie Hawk is up for sale at $500 with seller paying shipping.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...191-Hobie-Hawk

I don't think the nose section would ever crack structurally at the location shown. The nose is pretty strong. Anyone else seen a nose section crack here?

Bill
Sep 21, 2019, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Coalson
Another Hobie Hawk is up for sale at $500 with seller paying shipping.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...191-Hobie-Hawk

I don't think the nose section would ever crack structurally at the location shown. The nose is pretty strong. Anyone else seen a nose section crack here?

Bill
Isn't that the joint between the cone and the front part of the fuse - two dissimilar plastics? Looks cosmetic...
Last edited by gp49; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:51 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 06:57 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
Isn't that the joint between the cone and the front part of the fuse - two dissimilar plastics? Looks cosmetic...
Yep. Fuse to nose joint. Also not OE paint, you can see filler & some mystery blue stuff. Bondo?
Skies
J
Sep 22, 2019, 01:39 PM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Corbin
I have an old hang gliding buddy who is contemplating knee surgery, What's the scoop on the new procedure?
Steve,
It is a procedure that does not cut tendons, ligaments or muscle, therefore making recovery much quicker. They do not remove your natural knee, but reshape it for inserts. Try Googling Nanoknee and or Dr. Thomas Ferro. I have been walking since the day after surgery. Good Luck.
Bob
Sep 23, 2019, 09:25 AM
How is the swelling after the procedure?
Sep 23, 2019, 10:20 AM
Old newb
We had, at least, 4 Hawks at The Old School and Crunchy Fun Fly at Torrey Pines.

More should have come.

There were a whole lot more other Old School gliders there though.

Noting it is the 50th anniversary of the Mark’s Models Windward, Mike Frandsen and I both flew our Windwards.

Next year is the 50th for the Windfree. I have, at least, one. How about you? Dig deep and get those Windfrees out!

I like to see the old relics and it thrills me to see them in their element in the sky.

I flew my Windward far longer than I ever did as a youth. It was one of those personal moments that means a lot to yourself to finally do something that has been on your mind for years (decades?). It was a “wow” moment for me.

Everybody had a great time!
Sep 23, 2019, 11:33 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick
How is the swelling after the procedure?
Swelling was minimal.

Quick Reply