Oct 14, 2019, 08:42 PM
doo
doo
I like what you did with the wingtip graphics. Could you detail the process? Looks great!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 05:32 PM
Hi,
The design is a digital print on a transparent adhesive film.
I glued this over the white oracover foil .
I hope that is reasonably understandable my Englich is bad ...

greetings, Cornelius
Oct 16, 2019, 01:01 AM
I have a Hobie in decent shape. Assuming the servos still work, you could probably put in a battery and receiver and go fly. But those servos are OLD! I recall there are a couple of small holes in the covering, and the wing rod, I think, is steel rather than aluminum. What I don't have is a box sturdy enough to thwart shipper's attempts to trash this piece of history.
Oct 16, 2019, 01:28 PM
She's Flying Again

Hobie

Well then show some pictures in detail and let the buyer decide?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I have a Hobie in decent shape. Assuming the servos still work, you could probably put in a battery and receiver and go fly. But those servos are OLD! I recall there are a couple of small holes in the covering, and the wing rod, I think, is steel rather than aluminum. What I don't have is a box sturdy enough to thwart shipper's attempts to trash this piece of history.
Oct 17, 2019, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-by-night
Well then show some pictures in detail and let the buyer decide?

Steve
Pics here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...138-Hobie-Hawk
Oct 18, 2019, 07:00 PM
If you're interested and you know someone who's going to the RISC soaring event this Sunday, that might be a way to get it to you without exposing it to physical abuse.
Oct 20, 2019, 01:26 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
Nice restoration Cornelius. I see you had to fix the modified rudder and repair the servo deck of the fuselage, re-paint the fuselage and recover everything. I spent a month just removing the covering off my wings, plus another month repairing, and recovering the stabs, rudder and wings. Did you use an epoxy or 2 part polyurethane paint?

Jay
Oct 22, 2019, 06:08 PM
Today, the next maiden flight was from my 3rd Hawk. The hawk has flown very well right away. The careful adjustment of the wings is worthwhile. ;-)
@Jay They have been painted with water basecoat and clearcoat.

Greetings, Cornelius
Oct 22, 2019, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Really like the way you guys get one in the air
Wish I had that setup 40 years ago.
Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBe85
Today, the next maiden flight was from my 3rd Hawk. The hawk has flown very well right away. The careful adjustment of the wings is worthwhile. ;-)
@Jay They have been painted with water basecoat and clearcoat.

Greetings, Cornelius
Oct 23, 2019, 12:19 AM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite
Curt
40 years ago you had winches galore at Estancia.

You still had the good slope sites at the beach.

We had it good, remember?
Oct 23, 2019, 11:21 AM
Old gasbag glider guy; LSF 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
40 years ago you had winches galore at Estancia.

We had it good, remember?
I do...
Oct 23, 2019, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o

The days at Salt Creek, what a time

Curt
Oct 24, 2019, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite
Curt
I'm pretty sure I saw a similar setup ar least thirty years ago. Not with a Hobie, though.
Oct 25, 2019, 02:59 PM
ZR, OOS in a trash lifter
Salt Creek, Dana Point (Strands, Killer Dana, headlands) Estancia (ruined by trees on the slope) and Back Bay were all epic , the ocean sites were without equal for sure. I love going to Ellwood, it is like going back 40 years in time.

Todays inland flying sites are frustrating at best to fly at when compared to ocean sites; "slermals" and turbulence from landscape and buildings makes them more of a challenge and less enjoyable, non-existent landing areas, or having to land on the slope face or in a bush which will inevitably damage a planes covering make for less than an enjoyable experience. So, I have the mindset that it is worth the effort to travel and make a trip to premier sites for the great lift, soft landing areas, away from homes, buildings and landscape obstructions.
Oct 25, 2019, 03:15 PM
Plus, at "ocean" sites it doesn't take as much wind (or hill) to stay up. If you have a steep, high site facing the ocean, and your model is a floater, you can stay up when you can hardly feel the wind. Unfortunately, the site I'm thinking of is part of our national park system and rc flying is now banned.

I've watched slope racing at a site near Santa Cruz. LOTS of lift! Unfortunately, driving there would take a week.

Quick Reply