Jul 23, 2015, 02:39 PM
previously spaulj
Thread OP
Discussion

Suggestion for Pilots Meeting

May I be so presumptuous to continue?

I heard the single biggest probleml they had to contend with at the drone nats last week was video signal.

It sure looks like there's going to be a number of FPV flyers. That brings a new twist to an old problem; and that's frequency control for the video. If we lose video while we're flying it's a likely crash.

The best way to avoid having somebodies video stomp over existing video is to never turn on the transmitter first but turn the goggles on first. Just opposite of what we've been doing for 72 mHz flying for years. I'll be bringing a frequency board for video that will make it easy for anybody on a system whether it's Fatshark, Immersion, Boscam, or others to maintain a 40 megahertz separation. We can have four to six pilots in/on the air with careful self governance.

In summary, if you're flying FPV turn on your goggles first and only if you're absolutely sure you have no signal may you turn on your transmitter.

Also, if your transmitter has a push-button selection where you step through the frequencies you must be extra careful not to jump on somebody even for a moment.

Do not power up your fpv system to work on it for even a momentunless you know you're in the clear.

Bring your instructions for changing channels or freqs.

A lot of us know this, but some may not, and for me and probably others, this will be the first time flying in a big group.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply