Scorpion Power Systems new FPV Racer - the Sky Strider 280!!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
New Product

Scorpion Power Systems new FPV Racer - the Sky Strider 280!!!

Scorpion is well know for their motors in the heli world. But they are heating up the FPV racing scene with the release of their new FPV racer, the Sky Strider 280!!

The design is unique and incoroporates some interesting features.

- Easly adustable camera mounts.
- Piano wire landing gear.
- Green painted vertical frame to improve visability.
- Ajustable arm/motor angle via 5 and 10 degree arm support blocks.
- Motor guards.
- Top camera vibration isolation mount.

Retail is $100

Check out a build video and detailed pictures here:

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/news/skystrider280

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...80/strider280/

to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2015, 01:35 PM
sno
sno
I like it...but charge a bit more and throw in the landing gear and the angled motor mounts all as a package. IMHO.
Jul 22, 2015, 03:07 PM
I like it. looking at the bright coloured frame sides, the 'mobius' type camera mount installed as shown has a small amount of angle adjustment it. but upon closer inspection the arc slots at the bottom of the frame at the front and the unused holes just behind and below the pivot point of the 'mobius' type camera mount suggest that a separate FPV board cam mount is in the works that will have a much greater adjustment angle. personally I think it would be easy to leave it loosly hinged and fit a tilt servo to the FPV cam so it could be adjusted manually or with the use of openpilot gimbal control options to keep it level using a FC output. I want one. I'm not too interested in angle motor mounts and wire UC legs. I thing even the stock peg legs on the EMAX stuff and others are asking to dig into the ground during a crash and possibly twist the arms and delaminate them. I'd prefer to see dense foam balls or even strips like on one of the helipal offerings. I was thinking of using squash balls but they are a bit big, I can't find any other off the shelf options of a smaller size and maybe a bit lighter. the plastic heli skids used on the emax 300 transformer would be my next preference, the bonus being they allow for an underslung battery. the skids option used on the tarot 180 mini is a good idea as it adds strength to the arms and gives a nice flat vertical surface for sticking LED light strips to. it could also be made to give enough height to hang the battery from the frame too . I guess tall enough side skids and FPV camera tilt mech built in is what I really want. if only I could use CAD and had a CNC router..............

I cant see what size props it spins, im guessing 6 inch??
Last edited by locoworks; Jul 22, 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Jul 24, 2015, 09:38 AM
Says 238g net weight. Is that just frame and hardware??
Jul 24, 2015, 10:05 PM
Puerto Rico (USA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolphe
Says 238g net weight. Is that just frame and hardware??
Yes...should be just the Frame.

Here is the Assembly Video!!

SkyStrider280 Assembly (11 min 56 sec)
Jul 25, 2015, 07:41 AM
The design is really nice looking! But I just don't feel comfortable with the weight. Too heavy for 280. Can eliminate weight with the arm mounting brackets and replace with smaller spacers, maybe? Plus the the arm mounting end seems a lil too skinny and looks like it can break easy.

Overall weight should be less than 160g. Because if you add electronics that would be another 200g+. Goal is to have less than 400g with electronics minus lipo. That would be the ideal weight.

I honestly do love the design. I'd like to test it out, but my money is tied up somewhere else.
Jul 25, 2015, 01:02 PM
Bring on the motors!!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 03:40 PM
I like the price and the design. CNC angle mounts look really neat with how they hold the arm on. Will this swing 6in props? Not much specs, but I may have to get one
Jul 28, 2015, 04:11 PM
Formerly Copperkiid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwhite
Bring on the motors!!!!!!!
I'm sure a line of motors is coming!
Jul 28, 2015, 05:13 PM
Pro Bro #1008
uh..that thing is ugly..
Jul 29, 2015, 09:43 AM
Wasp 280 copy. They got it backwards, the wedged end is the front.
Hobbyking Orca is another copy of the Wasp 280.
Aug 06, 2015, 03:59 AM
Would love to see some more info on this been into helis for a long time, just built my first multirotor in 450 size this may be next, 250 seems to be where its at. Hows the durability and where the hell are some 250 sized scorpion motors!?
Aug 18, 2015, 04:30 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
The painted green CF looks nice now but will look very bad and worn after just a few crashes. Basically one day's use.
Sep 24, 2015, 06:31 AM
F-20s Rule
I think this quad would be a good little racer but the only thing holding me back from buying one is the way the arms slot in. To me it looks like it would break in a second.
Oct 27, 2015, 08:40 PM
I fly one and love it.
My build:
Scorpion SS 280 Frame /w 5degree forward mounts
Cobra 2206 Race Spec Motors
LittleBee 20a esc w/BLHeli Oneshot/Active Braking
Paris Naze32 Hero FC w/Cleanflight
200mw FPV Ninja Race Spec VTX
Sony 600TVL camera
FrSkyX4r RX sbus
Turnigy 1400 4S High C batteries

I will say that this frame is as tough as nails. I did have one horrific crash from over 100' up and threw a prop blade. It came down HARD and all that was lost besides props was one arm. BTW, I bought 2 packages of arms when I got it just in case Since that wreck, I have had quite a few hard limb hits and nothing has been damaged but props. This quad HANDLES too. By far my best handling racer. It handles, is highly adjustable and best of all, it is resilient. I bought an Sky Hero Anakin for a racer at about the same time. The Anakin breaks if you look at it wrong and takes hours to repair. The Sky Strider, you can break and arm and be back in the air in 5 minutes. Great design. I know the arms are the sacrificial part to take big impacts. Thoughtfully, it is designed to be able to replace them quickly, easily and inexpensively. It easily flys 6045 props, but I have been trying these 5045 bull nose props out lately.
I did a Joker theme with my Sky Strider:

I mount my battery on top within the frame, my VTX in front and protected behind the camera. The cool thing about this quad is that BOTH the mobius and fpv camera are gelo-free floating mounts that are pitch adjustable. I also cut the landing gear to were mine are just an inch long since my battery is on top