This thread is privately moderated by Jim.Thompson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 21, 2015, 08:01 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Lightweight P39 Cobra build

This is my latest project; a lightweight version of this model. I have the heavy one, as can be seen earlier on in my blog.
This one has foam core/vacuum bagged wings and tail surfaces. All hinges are kevlar, so called "live hinges".
The wing airfoil is the same as my Entropy airfoil, which is basically a TP 29 variant.
Four servos, servos in the wings as can be seen in the picture.
I like a rudder on these little models; it assists braking during final approach while landing using crossed controls, just like the full size often resort to. Besides, it is good for aerobatics including fully developed spins.
At this early stage without paint, it balances out at around 800 gram. I expect it to gain at least another 100 during painting. It will still be a good light to medium air weight.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2015, 09:01 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP

Base colour and first detail paint.

This model now has the base silver coat and the first of the red detail trim.
Red Soviet stars next and broad red stripes underneath for flying orientation.
Aug 07, 2015, 04:18 PM
yank and bank!!
Good looking plane
Aug 10, 2015, 09:34 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Thanks Fail.
I've now painted most of the red trim. I'm still undecided on wether to paint red wing tips as well.
If I don't, it is ready for panel lines, airbrushing work, and then the final light sand with 600/800 grit wet paper and the clear coat to finish it off.
Aug 16, 2015, 07:02 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP

Cobra finished.

I made up some bubbles in some scrap plastic sheet for servo covers. I use two small sheet of 3mm thick aluminium bolted together with suitably sized holes to clamp the acetate sheet. Then heated with the heat gun and pressed the bubble with a round end of a small spanner to form the bubble. I'll attach a picture of the clamp.
It is all now finished and ready for the maiden flight.

AUW 920 grams. Or 32 oz in the old world measurement. CG @ 76mm. No lead required for balancing.

Quick Reply