X3 - Page 58 - RC Groups
Dec 17, 2016, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threcixty
The fin is larger as well. The 3 and the team 3 planes both track really well.
I do not what is a team plane, but I see that the new fuse is targeted more to 3.46m and 3.76m span wings. That is how I am going to use it. I have a new 3.96m wing which definitely goes best with 2016 X3 fuse that has new large rudder.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2016, 01:18 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner
I know this all. The graphics shown should be only an example or qualitative statement.
using a different set of inputs, i can make similar polar plots with the opposite result, so i think your plot's "qualitative statement" is misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner
What do you think why they have gone away from the ful flying stab?
/Bernd
i believe it's $

follow my logic...

we all look for having the lightest ship (with sufficient strength) that we can get with the lowest wingloading, we all look at and talk about wingloading.

the weight of a ship before adding it's guts is measurable to tenths of ounces. knowing that their consumer wants the lightest ship he can get, manufacturers will build to that goal.

and i believe manufacturers can build an articulated stab (to some degree) lighter than a full-flying stab, so manufacturers can advertise a lighter plane, which translates into more sales, which translates into more $.

i also think (with really no way to prove) that a manufacturers' cost of building an articulate stab is cheaper than a full-flying stab. so again that also translates into more $ for the manufacturers. i'm not saying this is bad, i'm just sharing my thinking as to why manufacturers are switching over. like you and me, manufacturers have bills to pay and feed their family.

so i ask what does a manufacturer loose by building articulated stabs, answer i think, manufacturer loose to some degree "aerodynamic performance", but a degree to which most (probably all, if well enough engineered) will never realize. a manufacturer may also loose a sale or two to those die-hard pilots who will only fly ships with a full-flying stab, but those are few and far between, because most of us want "the latest and greatest" with the lowest wingloading.

and that's my 2cents, fire away

Todd
Dec 18, 2016, 04:12 PM

New X3 fuse

I just got in one of the new X3's for a client build.
I must say that Nan is not content to just keep producing a very good model, but keeps looking for ways to improve it further. I like that!

Comparing the latest X3 fuse to one that is about 6 months old, the newest one is noticeably slimmer and has a larger hatch opening.
The blue molded servo tray/ ballast attachment is gone. In it's place is a carbon/rohacell tray and the new style ballast attachment to accommodate flat plate ballast.
I much prefer this new servo tray as it allows one to cut it to exactly fit whichever servos are used.

The new fuse is about an ounce lighter.
The tailboom is about 2 1/2" shorter than the previous X3 fuse.

Lenny
Dec 18, 2016, 04:57 PM
agony sweetns the victory
pretty pretty pretty
Dec 18, 2016, 05:37 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
So these "new" fuses are the team fuses from the WC?

If this is the new fuse that they're going to ship I might have to get one now. I like how they feel in the hand. I have small hands which can make it tricky during launch.

One thing I saw on Jeff Duval's fuse was that after a bunch of landings the hole for ballast he made through the bottom "shelf" elongated. I think he said he put a glass patch there and it still elongated. It's hard to explain without pictures. I wish he'd chime in.

Anyhow, I may have to buy myself a Christmas present!
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Dec 18, 2016, 06:32 PM
J_D
J_D
Meep
Hello Everyone

I added a 1/16 thick piece of carbon to the tray (below the ballast hole).
I then drilled a hole through that carbon and the tray.

This way an un-threaded pin can be inserted. 1. Through the ballast hole, 2. Through the ballast, 3. Through the reinforced tray.

Closing the canopy prevents the pin from falling out.

This creates a quick change out system for the ballast, because you do not need tools to make a change.

Eventually I elongated the lower hole, but It was on the plane I fly every day and
I think I was also using a 50oz ballast bar when I did it. (so I am to blame for that , not the plane)

Since then I switched to using a thicker reinforcement, and I haven't had a problem.

I love the new fuselages.

-Jeff
Dec 18, 2016, 07:24 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Thanks Jeff. I thought your setup was rather neat! Jody is running the same, correct?
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Dec 19, 2016, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
I just got in one of the new X3's for a client build.
I must say that Nan is not content to just keep producing a very good model, but keeps looking for ways to improve it further. I like that!

Comparing the latest X3 fuse to one that is about 6 months old, the newest one is noticeably slimmer and has a larger hatch opening.
The blue molded servo tray/ ballast attachment is gone. In it's place is a carbon/rohacell tray and the new style ballast attachment to accommodate flat plate ballast.
I much prefer this new servo tray as it allows one to cut it to exactly fit whichever servos are used.

The new fuse is about an ounce lighter.
The tailboom is about 2 1/2" shorter than the previous X3 fuse.

Lenny
I installed servos flat on their side (MKS 6100 HV) and pushed rx under servo plate. This is less work and allows more space for battery installation. (With life or lips battery you will find that the new fuse is not only more narrow, but also shorter.)
Dec 19, 2016, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Anyhow, I may have to buy myself a Christmas present!
Make your Xmas even better with a new fin!
The old doesn't fit The front pin on the new style fin is schorter, the sadle is overall thinner.

To be quite honest, not happy with Nan doing that. Rumours are that the old-style fin of the X3 "first edition" is no longer produced. We all got the new style delivered although we ordered spare parts for the first edition.

Johnny
Dec 19, 2016, 04:27 AM
Hi,

Just put some pressure to your dealer. The new fin is available as a compatible version, with longer pins. (All the rudders in attached picture fit my "old" X2.5/X3-fuses)

Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchsoarer
Make your Xmas even better with a new fin!
The old doesn't fit The front pin on the new style fin is schorter, the sadle is overall thinner.

To be quite honest, not happy with Nan doing that. Rumours are that the old-style fin of the X3 "first edition" is no longer produced. We all got the new style delivered although we ordered spare parts for the first edition.

Johnny
Dec 19, 2016, 06:23 AM
On F5J new fuselage you can't fit the old rudder, also on old Fuselage you can't fit the new rudder but as NAN distributor in Greece I can write that anyone can order the rudder who want. The newone big rudder has two version one with shorter pins (for new fuselage) and one with longer pins for old style fuselage .
Also the new style X3 electric fuselage is two parts like you can view in my photos
Last edited by dapan; Dec 19, 2016 at 06:45 AM.
Dec 19, 2016, 07:06 AM
Detail Freak
Love the colors on that wing!
Dec 19, 2016, 07:35 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
+1 Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Love the colors on that wing!
Dec 19, 2016, 12:15 PM
Gone Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapan
On F5J new fuselage you can't fit the old rudder, also on old Fuselage you can't fit the new rudder but as NAN distributor in Greece I can write that anyone can order the rudder who want. The newone big rudder has two version one with shorter pins (for new fuselage) and one with longer pins for old style fuselage .
Also the new style X3 electric fuselage is two parts like you can view in my photos
Is there a provision for ballast on the F5J version?
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Dec 19, 2016, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed37
Is there a provision for ballast on the F5J version?
You place ballast under servo plate.