Jul 05, 2004, 04:51 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
I am going to order one soon I believe..
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2004, 06:47 PM
AMA 670207
Just ordered mine yesterday.

Perry
Jul 05, 2004, 09:18 PM
TRP
TRP
I called Mr. Page on Wednesday or Thursday of last week. We chatted a bit and from what I learned - we were still waiting for parts to come in from the laser cutters.

No worries. I had ordered his R2 (1/5ish scale) and when it arrived - I was MORE than pleased. I can't wait to get this one.

TRP
Jul 10, 2004, 08:03 AM
Well....I'm sorry to report that the laser cut parts did not arrive on Friday. All the other parts are here and ready to ship. The glass cowls arrived on Wednesday and are really nice. Steve at Aeroglass did a super job on them and the fit is perfect. Hopefully the Canpar man will show up with some big boxes on Monday.

I see from this post that some of you are planning on using and Astro geared motor on this plane. I am using an Astro 05 geared but I changed the gearbox the other day for a MEC box at 3.3:1. What an improvement! I added 2 cells for a total of 12 and kept the same 12x8 APC e prop. I gained 400 rpm and lowered the amps 38 t0 29. I would say that it now has almost the same performance as my glow version. It climbs with authority and I was able to do some knife edge flight. Not very Cub like but I had fun! The only problem I had with switching gearboxes is I had to drill out the pinion to fit the Astro because MEC do not offer pinions to fit the Astro motors. According to Motocalc this setup is 75% efficient which is not far off brushless.

Adrian
Jul 10, 2004, 10:23 PM
Hmm Astro 05.. So how about a mega 30/22/2?
Jul 11, 2004, 01:20 PM
I just got my astro 05. Sure seems like a small motor to tug a 6 pound cub around a loop. I guess we'll see.
Jul 13, 2004, 06:23 PM
Any updates anyone?? Adrian?
I think I'll wait until people start recieving them before I order.
Jul 13, 2004, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, forgot.
What servos are you guys planning on. I was thinking about hs-81s, but now I think those are to small.
Jul 13, 2004, 07:26 PM
Visitor from Reality
warbird
I have standard servos in my Cub for rudder and ele, with one Hitec HS81 per aileron. They must be doing something right! The standards in the fus were used as they'd been lying around the shop since I caught full time electricity, figured that much wing wouldn't notice if I used them vice Hitec 225s

Adrian - you should have called me. The combo to use is the Astro Superbox on the 05 with the smaller 11T pinion - gives a way taller gearing and saves hacking into things with drills. Plus, and I hate to say this as I use a lot of MEC boxes, Astro boxes are still the only game in town when it comes to sheer quality. If AstroBob would start selling his Superbox with swappable pinions, they'd take over the market.

I've used AF035Gs on ten cells for years now, with no bad effects on the motor as long as I stay under 30A. The geared 05 should be able to live with 12 cells, and the lowly 15G will live happily on 16, but can only really take 25A flat out - though some have run the 15 to 30A with mucho throttle useage to avoid overstressing the poor things. Those Astro brushed motors are a long way from done yet - my 1/5th Sig Cub, far heavier than Adrian's for sure, is a candidate for an AF15 on a MEC Superbox this winter (especially if I need its MaxCim 137 for the 1/4 scale Flivver ... )

Regards

Dereck
Jul 13, 2004, 08:01 PM
I found out that the parts were not shipped until Friday. I should see them tomorrow. I have everything ready to pack as soon as the laser parts land here and get sorted.

I used regular Hitec servos for rudder and elevator and an HS 85 for each aileron. I didn't bother with flaps on this one but they are there and they do have an HS 81 on each of them. Had to keep the weight honest.

I bought the MEC box because I like the ability to pick whatever ratio I want. I only had to run a drill through the center of the pinion to get it work on the Astro motor. I used 3.3:1 on 12 cells and it draws 28 or 29 amps at full bore. This is 10 amps under what Astro flight says it can do continuous. The performance improvement was well worth drilling a hole out bigger. It really hauls the Cub. Climb out was at 45 degrees from take off for about 50 feet where I leveled off. After that I cruised around doing the odd loop for 9 minutes and 45 seconds. The next flight I flew out as hard on the gear as I could. Did knife edge and rolls and loops at pretty much full blast for 6 minutes then landed and taxied back to the pits. Very satisying performance. I could still hold onto the motor barehanded and the GP3300s were just slightly warm.

Adrian
Jul 13, 2004, 08:19 PM
Adrian-

What kinda flight times are you getting on your setup? I am seriously tempted to get me a Super Cub.
Jul 13, 2004, 09:26 PM
The only flights I timed were the 9 3/4 minute flight above and the 6 minutes of really cranking it around with a strong taxi back. I would guess my typical flights would be around 7 1/2 to 8 minutes.

The cells I bought were matched and zapped and had labels on them that said they would deliver 30 amps for 404 seconds (about 6 3/4 minutes) which is pretty much what I found they really will deliver. I find this information very useful (I assume they will do 15 amps for 800 seconds) but I only see it from the car guys. Not sure why the airplane battery sellers don't do this. Seems pretty simple to me...."it will do this much for this long". They also printed the internal resistance and voltage of each cell on the wrapper.

Adrian
Jul 13, 2004, 11:58 PM
Sweet.. I am thinking along the lines of a Mega 30/22/2 with some Lipo's.. Should be nice..
Jul 14, 2004, 06:48 AM
That should be ideal. I was looking at the 22/20/2. Mainly because it was 2 oz. lighter and would also fit in my Newbee later on. They claim it's good for 70 amps so it should last forever in the Cub drawing 28 or so.

Adrian
Jul 14, 2004, 12:52 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Adrian - The 22/20/3 at 5:1 draws about 400W or so on 10cells equivalent with an APCE 17X10
What's the scale prop size?
The 22/20/2 same ratio same battery is about 700W with APCE 16X10

Quick Reply